Airline Mogul Forum

"Create Route" Slow down

alanthomasball

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: January 13, 2009, 01:15:09 am
I am having an awful time with the speed of the server ONLY when I am creating a route. It is only slow when creating the route, not when I am changing Proposed Fare or Daily Services.

Has anyone else found this? Or is this just a General game problem that I missed the memo on?

I have searched for this problem here but have not found it.

I really love this game, but it becomes painful waiting sometimes a full 2-3 minutes for the page to refresh.

EDIT: This was happening in W12 and now W302. (The only games I have been in.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:16:55 am by alanthomasball »

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:29:20 am
Your..
- player id?
- browser type?
- connection speed?

And does the page remain loading all the while you wait? or is there anything specific you could tell us?

Thanks.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

alanthomasball

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:30:02 am
Airline ID: 16527

I chastise mine self for not being thorough!

It seems that while Safari/Firefox have this speed issue under OSX, IE7/Firefox running in Parallels:WinXP have no issue what-so-ever.
(Net connection checked and OK.)

It appears the browser is having problems loading the View Routes page after creating a Route, but you are unable to load any other part of the AM site while it is doing this. (I assume it is some delay of some sort - Caused by AM or OSX/Browser I don't know.)

It is either an OSX-based browser or OSX-related problem.

I will remove Safari and all prefs from OSX and perform a new install and see how I go. I'll post an update soon.

alanthomasball

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:07:27 am
OK so I COMPLETELY nuked Firefox on OSX and reinstalled from a new download...

Same problem under OSX. Also on Safari.

This wigs me out, as this is the ONLY website that I have this issue with. But I don't have it with XP running on Parallels.

So: Internet connection is out as a possible cause. Also Parallels simply runs on a virtual network connection that is shared from same Network Interface that OSX-based applications use. (so I assume no issue with the way OSX is handling internet connections.)

- Is Safari/Firefox on OSX based on any similar tech?
- Could there be a clash with any new server software tech that AM is using?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:00:12 pm
Yea, its a bit slower than pre-PW era.... (Possibly being slowed down by the amount of PWs)
Who cares? its wayyyyyyy slower before Will and the rest of the admins did something to solve it....
(A plane would take 20 mins to add 5 routes in the worst case)

*Thanks, Stephen*
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:46:45 pm by Cheung Airlines »

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:29:41 pm
Will is usually working away at improving performance, so any improvements are generally down to him.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 08:56:56 pm
Apologies, i've been pretty busy lately.

I'll have a look and see if i can't improve the performance of the actual route creation and/or view routes loadtime.  I have no idea why any of our scripts would have a performance bias against a particular operating system, only browser/OS difference I know of that could happen is if our CSS gets a little off it might display differently between Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari, etc.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 05:44:31 pm
It's bad. 2-3 minutes to update or create a new route is no exaggeration. Been going on for at least a week.  8)

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 01:40:08 pm
The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round. Create a route, spend five minutes reading CNN.com while 'connecting to airlinemogul.com.' Update a route, spend three minutes getting my sports fix on ESPN.com while connecting. Safari, Firefox, it doesn't matter. 6 a.m., 6 p.m., midnight, doesn't matter. Sometimes it works great. Most of the time it's getting really hung up. Getting more and more difficult by the day to enjoy playing your game Stephen.  8)

Obmit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:54:47 pm
Yeah it is pretty slow...
Skywest PW1217

RedSoxFan417

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:09:41 am
The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round. Create a route, spend five minutes reading CNN.com while 'connecting to airlinemogul.com.' Update a route, spend three minutes getting my sports fix on ESPN.com while connecting. Safari, Firefox, it doesn't matter. 6 a.m., 6 p.m., midnight, doesn't matter. Sometimes it works great. Most of the time it's getting really hung up. Getting more and more difficult by the day to enjoy playing your game Stephen.  8)

yeah i would have to agree, right now it is horrible for IE, Firefox is even dogging down as well.  And it seems like my firefox has decided to go on the fritz while renting gates, so now i have to use IE, and that is just horrible. 

skywaker9

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 05:00:57 am
I can confirm the site is slow with Firefox (most recent version, 3.x).  It seems fine now and of course gets slowest around the hour mark at the end of each game "day"...

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 11:10:44 am
Patch idea #2 is passing through betatesting at the moment... hopefully will give us a further improvement.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

RedSoxFan417

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 06:39:56 am
I retract my statement i had on here earlier, thank you for improving the speed!  :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:35:28 am by RedSoxFan417 »

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 12:40:10 pm
Patch idea #2 is passing through betatesting at the moment... hopefully will give us a further improvement.
So how's the 'patch idea #2' coming along?  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk