Airline Mogul Forum

Some Players are killing the game

Poll

Should Airframes be built and delivered so quickly?

YES
11 (34.4%)
NO
14 (43.8%)
Other solution needed
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: November 18, 2007, 04:27:55 pm

Tomb

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: November 16, 2007, 11:40:39 am
thier is a third

AO

i have been playing it, it much harder than this because of the other expenses and easy to go bust till you get the hang of it.

agree Blue game is slow paced, under developed and boring.

no sympathy from me about a david airline taking on a goliath, and goliath dont like it.

the thing about big airlines is the player dont have the time to manage it all since all the smaller ones can devote thier time and effort to optomising thier particlar routes, and take chunks out the big ones...

in fact in AO to cut the really big boys down to size an occasionaly fuel crisis occurs, just watch em panic then as they shed millions.

its way too easy to make silly money, most planes to make a profit need to be 30%-40% full but not in mogul, quite a few 1 dollar routes out thier, that would kill you in AO, in fact the big boys taking each other on is something to be seen, they often cut each other down to size. in my area in mogul the competition is just starting to happen as thier is more seat capacity than passengers on some routes

jack the fuel prices up and just watch how much more interesting this game will get.

more interesting than buying a few planes and watching the money roll in, you might be in danger of actually having to manage your airline, then you will find what size airline you are happy to manage, having been one of the biggest in AO i settled for something of an airline size more comfortable to manage.

you can still have a monster airline, but you have to put the time in to manage it...

because if you dont you will lose money big time and in my view thats how it should be, you actually have to manage

i have a few other thoughts but later dudes

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: November 16, 2007, 12:28:00 pm
AO is not free, at all, that i can see.  I'd lump it elsewhere then, in most respects.

by the way, fuel prices in game (though you never blatantly see them) are synced up to the price of fuel historically, adjusted to the same Euro as all other costs are based on.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: November 16, 2007, 12:47:21 pm
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
AO is not free, at all, that i can see.  I'd lump it elsewhere then, in most respects.

by the way, fuel prices in game (though you never blatantly see them) are synced up to the price of fuel historically, adjusted to the same Euro as all other costs are based on.

AO = pointless...  :roll:

AM = points!  :lol:

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

Tomb

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: November 16, 2007, 05:20:53 pm
Suggestions

In a game such as this several problems occur

Gate Hogs

Plane order hogs

Someone suggested for plane order hogs I feel the right solution

Limited capacity

And all those with an order in get one each before anyone gets a second and then a third etc

so

A orders 3

B orders 4

C orders 50

D orders 1

So production capacity 50, delivery  would be given a A,B,C,D all get one, then A,B,C get a second one, then a third then B gets a fourth so 12 from 50 leaves 38 more to be delivered to C leaving a shortfall of 6

So the following month C is now top of the list with 6 orders

If that month 50 airlines order then C will only get one more plane and have 5 left for the top of next months list and so on.

This way everyone gets a fair go at a plane type

Also suggest an arbitrary life cycle in that a plane is offered shall we say a minimum order of 1 a month for 1 year which goes to a broker or maybe a white tail list and if no players order it then its out of production and gone from the list, their will still be 12 made so if anyone wants one find a broker or white tail list

I think 1 year after the last airline order is reasonable then production ceases.

Economics,

Easily AM’s weakest point

The single most effective in terms of cost are the single aircraft type airlines with just say B737-300 or A319 or whatever

The down side is they are less flexible, that’s the choice you make

So why not have a maint facilty for each different type that an airline operates

For example airline A has DC3’s, Airline B has DC3’s and CW20’s, airline C has CW20’s

They all fly say London Luton to Glasgow

Airline A has a DC3 maint facility at Luton and airline B has a CW20  Maint facility at Glasgow.

Airline C has no maint Facilities but leases from airline B for its CW20’s maint

Airline B has its own Maint facility for its CW20’s but must lease maint facilities for its DC3’s from airline A

Airline A has its own Maint  for its DC3’s

You get the idea, slows down the buy it and sling it out their, school of playing, a more considered approach is needed.

Also stops those who want to just buy a plane and plonk it at low cost on a route, since to take on the established airlines on route you are going to have to establish some maint facilitys and gates

How much for maint,

Well I suggest year 0 is free (manufactures warranty) and after 1 year its 1 % per year so after year 2 is 2% and after year 3 is 3 % etc of its new build price, don’t sound much but a 10 year connie is 10% of 55million and that 5 million, starts to add up especially if you have 100 of them

Makes for sensible second hand prices, makes leasing more attractive since maint is their cost and they need to price it to cover that and a price that people will rent for, them planes ain’t getting any younger

Allow a standard maint hanger to have say 10 small aircraft slots or 5 medium or 2 large, or 1 very large, small = less than 50 seats, medium between 51 and 150, large 151-300 and very large 301 plus.

So you start off with  a DC3 and a maint hanger licensed for the DC3 and it could service 10 of them a month

The other airline also at this site operates wants to operate CW20’s so makes you an offer to service its DC3’s and it changes its maint hanger to CW20’s (or it could build a new maint hanger or dump its DC3’s)

So to operate from an airfield

You need to buy the gate, decide what plane you want to fly and where its maint is going to be done, you know if cost, like gates are proportional to airfield size then those low value airfields which no one fly’s to might be the place to build a maint hanger to service you own or someone else’s planes.

Plane servicing is once a month so somewhere on one of its routes it would need to connect with a maint hanger.

If it don’t then 2 options, don’t allow it to fly or “age it” 1 year per month so after 1 month or part thereof, of no maint its costing 1% of 55 million or 500,000 in lost revenue due to breakdowns delays etc, 2nd month 2% etc

Then it might be easier to forget all that and keep the current no brainer of buy the plane and chuck it out on a route.

Thoughts ?

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: November 16, 2007, 07:21:26 pm
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
AE is Airline Empires (also known as the "blue game" because of its prominent blue theme).  It was a very prominent airline simulation which has been stagnating for about 2 years now (the creator of it has not had time to work on it for a very long time, as such its riddled with known and exploited bugs).  It is still available to play, but you'll have to find it yourself if you wish to see what is being talked of.  There's only about 2 things of significance that they have that we don't. one of which I'm mentally piecing together in my head (airline hub effect/hubs).  The other is a slightly spiffier flash route map.  We have several things they dont. (around 1700 airports they don't, about 10 times as many aircraft types, continental/regional openskies, the brokerage system, etc).

No other game has yet reached a significant enough stage to constantly be referred to it seems, as i only hear about "the blue game" (AE) and "the pink game" (which is us).

In my opinion, rational non-advertisement talk about other games, typically in moderation is alright.  I know at most sites you can't talk about other games, you especially cannot advertise them. but here I'm willing to name names as long as it isn't strongly advertisement themed.  It is, however, at any mod's discretion as to determining if something is advertising or not. so still be careful.

I don't know, I like the route map here from the GCM, than the one from AE, where it is just bad looking and full of errors (such as the USSR reorganizing it's lost ground and taking Korea and building a landbridge to Japan and Canada taking Alaska). There is a lot more, and the map sometimes didn't hit the right areas, like miami being located in the Atlantic Ocean off the Florida Coast and Orlando being where Titusville is. I could go on forever on this one.

I think realism is always a good thing, but if you make the game too realistic, it might actually do much more damage than benefits. I like Things like limiting production of planes for only x planes per month per airline per manufacture(so if you order 5 DC-3s and 15 IL-12s, then you'd only get like 2 DC-3s and 2 IL-12s per month). That might slow down the quick growth of many airlines, specifically those in larger cities, as the wait times would get to them would also limit cash flow too. I also like fluxating gas prices as gas prices are never constant and maint costs for planes. I think that the devaluation of a plane should be more with the hours it spends flying rather than it's age in general, like in rl, but I'm not sure if that would be easy to implement. One idea I do like though is the implementation of Runway length, but I would like to see one condition added into it, and that is a airline who is based there can have the ability to extend the runway (or build a longer one for it's own use, sorta like with the terminals.) This is so those who don't want to base from CDGs and HKGs for the world and eat their cake and have it as well.

I do think though, even in this current stage, AM is a really great and enjoyable game. I also love how the admin let players help in development of things, like certain data for hte game as well as responding ot suggestions.

I also think that things like maint bases and such is not a good idea for a game like this. Mostly because the game deals more with buying planes and putting them on routes as well as competing with airlines.

Also suggest an arbitrary life cycle in that a plane is offered shall we say a minimum order of 1 a month for 1 year which goes to a broker or maybe a white tail list and if no players order it then its out of production and gone from the list, their will still be 12 made so if anyone wants one find a broker or white tail list

I don't think that would be very good. There are many manufactures that have planes on their product list that havn't been made in a certain amount of time, but are still offered if anyone is interesting in buying from them.

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: November 17, 2007, 06:00:18 am
Tomb... your like limiting the world. Like Tomb you can only create 4 routes today.

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

Tomb

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: November 20, 2007, 11:47:42 am
not really, but i am now at a comfortable size of airline, i am just watching the millions turn to billions without lifting a finger, in AO i used to sweat some of the turns because some ventures (routes) could cost you big if you got it wrong, or somebody found a better way than you with the right plane and cost,. AO is soon to be no more, but definatly king of the hill while it lasted

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk