Airline Mogul Forum

Some Players are killing the game

Poll

Should Airframes be built and delivered so quickly?

YES
11 (34.4%)
NO
14 (43.8%)
Other solution needed
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: November 18, 2007, 04:27:55 pm

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 07:33:54 pm
:idea:

Ding dong, i have an idea (well maybe it's something all ready been suggested/on the list)

How about having 'order books' for manufacturers ?

So for example, people won't be able to get constellations as quickly as they do now so they will start getting some of the 'rarer' aircraft and using the used market a bit more ;)

Sam

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 08:10:04 pm
Quote from: "Hampo"

Ding dong, i have an idea (well maybe it's something all ready been suggested/on the list)

So for example, people won't be able to get constellations as quickly as they do now so they will start getting some of the 'rarer' aircraft and using the used market a bit more ;)

Sam

Are you thinking of this?

L-1049 order book:
Airline Serial No. Delivery Date
xxxxx 11111111 1st May 1950
xxxxy 11111112 1nd May 1950
xxxxy 11111113 2nd May 1950
xxxxz 11111114 2nd May 1950

If you place an order for one a/c your delivery date will be: 3rd May 1950

While the day may vary a little as it could be that other players place their orders at the same time. In that case you just need to figure out how many aircrafts can be build per day. Hm, its worth a discussion I think.
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

Coastal

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 08:19:42 pm
Quote from: "AirHanoverInternational"

Sam

Are you thinking of this?

L-1049 order book:
Airline Serial No. Delivery Date
xxxxx 11111111 1st May 1950
xxxxy 11111112 1nd May 1950
xxxxy 11111113 2nd May 1950
xxxxz 11111114 2nd May 1950

If you place an order for one a/c your delivery date will be: 3rd May 1950

While the day may vary a little as it could be that other players place their orders at the same time. In that case you just need to figure out how many aircrafts can be build per day. Hm, its worth a discussion I think.

plus some kind of cap on how many slots in a row can be taken up so one or two airline don't take up all the early slots.  For example:

Airline    Slots
Axxxx         1-3, 10-12
Bxxxx           4
Cxxxx           5-7, 13
Dxxxx           8,9
and so on

this way it would give more people a chance to get some aircraft in a reasonable time.   The 787 is a good example of what I am talking about of the first 25 or so there is no more than 2 or 3 going to a single airline.
Coastal Air  (CTL) ID:1745
http://worldair.freeforums.org/index.php

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 09:31:08 pm
I was thinking of something like...

An airline can only have a max of 2 aircraft of the same type delivered per 'game month' (our day). So if they order 10 it will be split over 5 'game months' (5 of our days).

That way growth should slow down.

Sam

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 09:42:16 pm
I was thinking of something like...

An airline can only have a max of 2 aircraft of the same type delivered per 'game month' (our day). So if they order 10 it will be split over 5 'game months' (5 of our days).

That way growth should slow down.

Sam

I think that would be good, maybe 4 planes would be good. It should be 2 or 4 planes per manufacture rather than 2 or 4 in general though.

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 09:53:39 pm
I was thinking per aircraft because...

For example last round, Boeing was a huge manufacturer so if you were ordering a bunch of 737's and 757's for example it's a bit unfair if you can only get 2 of them for example.

I think that random 'delays' would be quite good aswel ;)

Sam

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 10:03:05 pm
I think we should do it per airline as well, so it forces large airlines to look at some less popular models, while everyone could still get their hands on some popular planes, unlike the blue game, where the cap is for the whole world.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 11:18:26 am
The delay in the large orders are totally fine.

But changing the aircrafts to be delivered at 2 days rate....  :roll:

So would i have to be bored for 2 days and play again... bored for 2 days... play again.... bored for 2 days... play again.... the cycle keeps repeating until one day i quit AM because of this.  :?

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 01:37:40 pm
another solution is needed. quite frankly, this round is EXTREMELY off balance due to the blue eyed approach of just going into 1950 with 2000s traffic rates.
i think a simple KISS solution would work out best. the roi on planes is not so good because of the price of them but due to the revenue potential.
the solution is simple: add an "era modifier" since any airport tweaking on case by case basis would be too complex to implement
say that the numbers in game are for 2000 round, and global passenger movements were 100%. you then figure out how many passengers were in say 1950, and use that as a multiplier. lets just assume that 2000 saw 5bn global pax movements. if 1950 had 250m, you would then go and multiply the passenger number for all the airports in game with 0.05, hence ATL would not have 82m but 4.1m PAX per year.

its just logical to see how economics of scale work here, and its sad to see the amount of development work that seems to go into mutliworld and revenue related things and see the most critical part of such a game, its economics, are just abandoned totally, which make the other part kind of moot.

totally OFF the equation here is how people are trying to reduce disparity between players, either make a competetive game and embrace competition or give free handouts to everyone. matter of fact is that such limits that were suggested above would not hit those up front but other players, since certain alliances would cede their quota of best planes to their frontrunner, just as they do now with slots of alliance routes and others who dont have backing from alliances the size of dozens of players, like myself, would figure out how to aquire the planes for markup.
all the suggested changes would do is even make things worse for not so competetive players, since they would be stuck with the less favourable planes and a little token markup here and there.
lets not forget, in this round, how certain planes became popular. its those who set the pace who figure out which plane works best at first, so there would be a headstart again.
this whole rebalancing needs to be focused on the root of the game economics, not to equalize players.
i'll go out on yet an even more unpopular route: dont ask people who dont understand the game on ways of improving it. my brother plays his airline about 1 minutes per real life week in this round, yet he is almost in top 100. so i would say that the majority of players voting on changes dont even come close to understanding the implications of them.
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 02:26:39 pm
Quote from: "ALFC"
i'll go out on yet an even more unpopular route: dont ask people who dont understand the game on ways of improving it. my brother plays his airline about 1 minutes per real life week in this round, yet he is almost in top 100. so i would say that the majority of players voting on changes dont even come close to understanding the implications of them.

You sound like me :lol:
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 02:33:41 pm
Who's your brother?  :lol:

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 02:52:55 pm
Quote from: "Jps"
Who's your brother?  :lol:

i'll give you a hint, we signed up on the same day, we are in the same alliance, add 1+1 yourself.
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 02:55:29 pm
oh BBJ

crabking

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 04:08:29 pm
I dunno - maybe I'm still just small, but I think the game does a pretty good job of limiting growth.  Basic economics create a ceiling - you can only make so much, can only buy so much, and competition is fierce.  Heck, gotta wait at least a day (where I am) to buy one decent capacity jet.

Seems like you're far better off just going with multiworlds - spread out the large number of people and expansion won't be such an issue.

myefre

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 06:24:30 pm
If you limit aircraft per day then won't everyone pretty much stay at the same level? I think the revenue side needs to be reduced. Way too much cash in this game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk