Airline Mogul Forum

Lacking substance?

d3funct

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: October 22, 2007, 05:25:28 am
It is now October - 10 days after the launch of the reset.

My airline is worth over $500M, and I have expanded to my full 6 focus cities and cannot expand further.

My airline runs itself.

I only have to log in once a day to ensure my routes are profitting, and to build planes to lease out.

All this after only 10 game months.

So, does this game lack substance? I'm trying to be subjective and constructive in doing this, but we need something more to aim for...
Research technologies, train pilots, something else.

At the beginning of the round, I logged in once an hour... now its once a day - by the time its 1954, it'll be once a fortnight, then I might forget and never return.

In the 10 days now since the reset, I've basically done everything there is to do - and its not even 1951 yet.

:(

I like this game, and I will continue playing, but... what are your opinions.
nternational Air - ID: 2628

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 05:48:41 am
That's why there's Lockheed there to help  :lol: . USE THEIR AIRCRAFTS.. fly to different continents..

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

JM1878

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 05:51:24 am
I only started this round, but I already see what you mean. The fact is, the game advances too quickly - people have got stupidly rich in just several game months, and the pace of the game must be slowed down considerably imo. I'm finding that as soon as I have a competetive fleet I have to upgrade virtually straight away - in just a few game months this has happened loads. I know this is only a game and not a simulation, but the rate of groth in under a year of game time is too much imo - I am dreading what it will be like in late 1959. :shock:

As well as adding new stuff like you suggest (which is good as it is something else to spend your cash on so overall growth should be slower), there a loads of thing that could be done. Getting rid of short haul 0.5s is a must imo, and the whole 0.5 stuff needs addressing as a whole (which everyone knows).

Perhaps also limiting how much you can do day (either game day or real day). For example, people who have millions of euros set up at a new airport and immediately open 70 new 0.5 routes (2 issues in one :) ) -spamming every airport in reach of them. They get rich, ruins the balance of the game etc. Instead, if you could only open a set number of routes per hour or something, progress would be slower and the game would be more strategic and need more skill/thought. Players could react to each others strategies and try and influence the game, rather than logging in to find their whole 'airline' in tatters.

I also think more measures to limit certain aspects of the game would b better too - for example players could sign contracts with manufacturers so that they may only buy that make of aircraft or something - or sign to a set number. With the right selection of aircraft available something like this could really give the game more balance, as players may have to really work at being a certain type of airline rather than just alphabetically buying every gate and setting up a route.

I think the brokerage system speeds things up too much. At first I loved it and even thought maybe there could be an automated finance system too, so you could pay on the 'never, never' - but I have since thought that maybe getting rid of brokers altogether might be an answer - if people have to wait to buy outright, they cant order until they have the cash and groth is slowed a little.

These types of ideas may be rubbish, but my point is that I think there needs to be a slower pace to the game and try and get more strategy in there somewhere. Dont get me wrong, I am loving it but I have soon realised that it needs a bit more of............something!
nion Air (ID 4809)

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 06:11:04 am
:( admittedly yes, the game develops too fast... far too fast.

unfortunately, the game needs a lot at this moment.  multiworlds, slowed down, hotswapping aircraft, and some reasonable solution to the .5 debates... i've got ideas for it all, but my coding speed can't keep up (for example, multiworlds takes touching up about 200 files in the game.)  

The fastest way to slow this age down is to revamp aircraft deliveries, (likely the best way as well).  Limit the aircraft available, and the game will be a looot slooower. cheap planes will lose some of their punch.  I've done some manipulations of the route formula, repriced the aircraft to typically higher prices, and a few other changes... so (scary thought) it is a lot slower then it was last age.  i periodically do some changes in minutia that either won't affect most players or won't be very noticeable.  If i do anything major i'll warn you all. (i'll likely do some noticable things shortly, in some effort to slow down revenue a bit... but frankly it is a little late).

The other reason this age seems so fast is the aircraft are pretty limited.  last age you could buy a 777 which could go over 9000nm... this age, you can (at present) only buy something that goes 5500nm.  surprisingly big limitations it causes.

I'm hoping i can get the multiworld part done as soon as possible, but it's also got to be done right. After that hopefully i can get hotswapping aircraft out, followed by some significant measure to slow the game down (likely, revamping deliveries).
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:20:30 am
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
:( admittedly yes, the game develops too fast... far too fast.

unfortunately, the game needs a lot at this moment.  multiworlds, slowed down, hotswapping aircraft, and some reasonable solution to the .5 debates... i've got ideas for it all, but my coding speed can't keep up (for example, multiworlds takes touching up about 200 files in the game.)  

The fastest way to slow this age down is to revamp aircraft deliveries, (likely the best way as well).  Limit the aircraft available, and the game will be a looot slooower. cheap planes will lose some of their punch.  I've done some manipulations of the route formula, repriced the aircraft to typically higher prices, and a few other changes... so (scary thought) it is a lot slower then it was last age.  i periodically do some changes in minutia that either won't affect most players or won't be very noticeable.  If i do anything major i'll warn you all. (i'll likely do some noticable things shortly, in some effort to slow down revenue a bit... but frankly it is a little late).

The other reason this age seems so fast is the aircraft are pretty limited.  last age you could buy a 777 which could go over 9000nm... this age, you can (at present) only buy something that goes 5500nm.  surprisingly big limitations it causes.

I'm hoping i can get the multiworld part done as soon as possible, but it's also got to be done right. After that hopefully i can get hotswapping aircraft out, followed by some significant measure to slow the game down (likely, revamping deliveries).

Tell Stephen to hire another coder to help you  :lol:

Tulane

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 07:19:08 am
I think it only goes fast for y'all that know the shortcuts to 20+ planes.

I started in a small-ish market (MSY) and can't get planes fast enough. I wish I had a broker to give me good deals on 20+ planes at a time but all I can afford is a new plane here and a new plane there. I don't understand how some players have built up 100+ plane fleets so quick.

I keep thinking that I must have missed something.

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 07:54:29 am
i disagree, its a strategical game, in my opinion, hence its all about understanding of your actions and implications of those, both against players and in regard to the system set up.
the game SHOULD be easy to get into, and then pave the way for players to develop the scenario.

you have made 500m, and decided to be happy with it, thats your choice to not further develop. in such a game environment, its not like a shooter where the computer feeds you enemy after enemy, but you competing with players. in that regard, you decided to call it quits with about 50 ahead of you.

Quote from: "Tulane"

I started in a small-ish market (MSY) and can't get planes fast enough. I wish I had a broker to give me good deals on 20+ planes at a time but all I can afford is a new plane here and a new plane there. I don't understand how some players have built up 100+ plane fleets so quick.

brokers dont have the financial resources to supply players ahead of them, its a myth that people are at the front because brokers help them, i would say that they are the players who get LEAST support, simply because it is impossible to meet their demands with the resources the brokers have.
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

Tulane

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 09:42:36 am
Quote from: "ALFC"

brokers dont have the financial resources to supply players ahead of them, its a myth that people are at the front because brokers help them, i would say that they are the players who get LEAST support, simply because it is impossible to meet their demands with the resources the brokers have.

But how then do players within the first 1-2 real days of the game already have 10+ aircraft? I just don't understand it...

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 09:47:06 am
Some were cheating.. some were just brokers... some leased from brokers

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 10:41:15 am

But how then do players within the first 1-2 real days of the game already have 10+ aircraft? I just don't understand it...

stop judging brokers by the first two days of the game.
people you describe were cheaters and banned or brokers. look at the current top ranks, no brokers, none of the people you describe.
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 10:53:55 am
He said the first two days... .. now it's real competition..  :lol:

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 11:06:00 am
I told Will and Stephen DC-3 is not a good starter...
... I even calculated how quick the game would proceed with DC-3 and 500k.

Granted, the calculation I used was based on even cheaper planes... but still.... :roll:
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 11:13:04 am
right now i would say that both ARIA and me are raising DOP by 1m per gameday, but its already becoming difficult to keep it up, as the investments required are putting a real strain on income, since growth by now requires expensive planes.

i do however agree that for this round, prices of planes should have made twice as what they are now, to reflect inflation and such. it would have at least slowed the progress in a way that current values would not have been achieved prior to mid 51
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 11:50:49 am
I think I had six DC-3s in Day 2.  I did get help from a broker who had surplus DC-3s and bought two of them in Day 1.  Another 2 got delivered in Day 2.  My entire Martin, Boeing and Constellation fleets were bought without the use of a broker.  About 60% of my Constitution fleet is bought by myself.

ALFC is right.  I'm struggling to raise my dop because I've covered most of the good routes.

I'm actually online more often than I should be, to reset routes and it still takes 90 minutes to place 10 aircraft onto routes.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 12:57:41 pm
The sim is going at a good pace for me. So far, I only have 1 DC-3 and 2 ИЛ-12s with a 3rd about to come in (I needed planes that could last, so I avoided the Dove and Aircruisers everyone else was ordering). Then again, I am playing from a market that is microscopic when compared where most of the top 100 set up base. But I am starting to climb the rankings. At least this round you'll get to see plenty of evolution with the craft, so soon enough, you can replace all those slow craft with a more speedier Turobprop and a jet craft. That should keep some of ya'll busy. On a related note, I do remember the other game to be like this too, by the end of the 1st game year, the top 10 are extremly massive, at least the 1800 airports in this game help keep things controlable for other players.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk