Airline Mogul Forum

Lacking substance?

myefre

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 06:36:39 pm
Maybe the airfares should be lowered to slow growth.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 07:06:41 pm
Quote from: "myefre"

I don't think that'll do much but tick most of those guys off at smaller cities, afterall, we only do make half of what the big city guys do within the first month. I think this can easily be tracked back to the .5 loophole. If that was limited, we probebly wouldn't have this problem right now. One of my friends is a airline based out of a larger city, he flies almost exclusivly 1s and 2s. He's nowhere near the size of the .5 abusers. We should just give it some time and let other airlines get in, then making that Euro will be hard.

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 07:11:59 pm
Quote from: "LOT 737-300"
He's nowhere near the size of the .5 abusers. .

can you please stop making blanket accusations that people utilizing x.5 frequencies are some sort of abusers or cheaters?
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 07:18:15 pm
Quote from: "ALFC"
He's nowhere near the size of the .5 abusers. .

can you please stop making blanket accusations that people utilizing x.5 frequencies are some sort of abusers or cheaters?

I never have suggested the .5 exclusives to be cheaters, they are afterall playing within the rules. I usually consider it like most do on the blue and white game, you can hog all the gates you want, but it sorta gets annoying after a while, thus making it a abuse. I'm using hte word abuse/abuser in the form that it's sort of a excess, I use .5s too, but only to a reasonable extent (no more than 2 per plane.) So do my friends, and they're nowhere near the size of those bigger airlines, and they've made similar movies apart from freq choice.

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 07:25:39 pm
that it's sort of a excess, I use .5s too, but only to a reasonable extent (no more than 2 per plane.) .

how do you make sure its TWO PER PLANE, do you write down the id's of the planes while planning routes? i dont know your id and numbers of planes, but rest assured that keeping track on which plane does what is impossible once your airline has a certain size.
you can keep track on what happens on a route, but not single planes, its simply impossible to practically do
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 07:30:57 pm
I plan to ramp up costs a lot, introduce a number of new charges which I have discussed with Will. Unfortunately over the last 4 days or so I have not had much time to go near AM never mind reading the forums. I agree AM is far too easy at the moment but I would aim to change that in the near future.

I'll be working on a number of updates in this regard soon.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

myefre

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 07:44:38 pm
Quote from: "myefre"

Just an example of how I think fares need some tweaking. I make more on SNA-MSP on a Viking than SNA-HNL on a bigger aircraft Curtis. Also, the HNL flight eats up more time. Seems a little off to me that's all

blumage

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 07:44:56 pm
that it's sort of a excess, I use .5s too, but only to a reasonable extent (no more than 2 per plane.) .

how do you make sure its TWO PER PLANE, do you write down the id's of the planes while planning routes? i dont know your id and numbers of planes, but rest assured that keeping track on which plane does what is impossible once your airline has a certain size.
you can keep track on what happens on a route, but not single planes, its simply impossible to practically do

yes you can just go to aircrafts and click on info. there you can see the plane's route and frequency

ID 5228
And if we like to over do things just Imagine what is like to be our Guest!
Proud Member of BlueSkies

TerryWrist

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 07:48:18 pm
my airline is also running itself

i'm happy where it sits not too big and not too small dominating wherever i want and not harassing my alliance members
img]http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinelogos/flyusyo.gif[/img]
Flying Cheap with Added Safety and Security!

Would John from Los Angeles please report to the Cathay Baggage Check....   :roll:
"so yesterday i flew with Cathay in a DC-3!"

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 08:02:23 pm
Quote from: "blumage"

yes you can just go to aircrafts and click on info. there you can see the plane's route and frequency

my point was not that its impossible to find out, but impossible to practically do once you have more than say 30 planes.
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 08:16:28 pm
When I have 45 Martins, 45 Stratocruisers and 20 Constellations, I don't even look at the aircraft details let alone the profits much.

As ALFC says, anything within the rules is not "abuse".  If you decided to play using 1s and 2s, it's your decision and at that stage, a semi-experienced player should already know there would not even be the slightest hope of challenging for the top spots in rankings that way.

Armygrognard

Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 09:18:19 pm
Quote from: "d3funct"
It is now October - 10 days after the launch of the reset.

My airline is worth over $500M, and I have expanded to my full 6 focus cities and cannot expand further.

My airline runs itself.

I only have to log in once a day to ensure my routes are profitting, and to build planes to lease out.

All this after only 10 game months.

So, does this game lack substance? I'm trying to be subjective and constructive in doing this, but we need something more to aim for...
Research technologies, train pilots, something else.

At the beginning of the round, I logged in once an hour... now its once a day - by the time its 1954, it'll be once a fortnight, then I might forget and never return.

In the 10 days now since the reset, I've basically done everything there is to do - and its not even 1951 yet.

:(

I like this game, and I will continue playing, but... what are your opinions.

Where are you based?  Maybe you shoud start in a more challenging region (read: cutthroat).  Or you could bankrupt you fleet and start over.  Now there's a challenge you should like.

I'm over 500 mil and I am not satisfied yet.  I've only got three bases and am squeezing the nickel so hard the Indian is riding the Buffalo.  Wait 'till I get six!

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 10:01:26 pm

See, once I recieve a plane, I tend to make sure I max it out as much as I can. So once I get to a point where doing 1s or 2s is impossible on it, I will send it on one or two seperate .5s. If a massive amount of planes is that big of a problem for you, maybe someone should suggest aircraft ID as part of the "View Routes" menu I think that can be helpful overall, and you can make sure that you have 2 .5s. I mentioned that I only have a small number of planes, which is 4, since I play it more like a sim (like hte front page suggests), not a game, and my city choice is not exactly a LAX or JFK, so it'll make me only a fraction of what the big city guys make, but rest assured, it's no Amundson Scott either. Another thing that might help you is to name your planes, usually by using a registration.

When I have 45 Martins, 45 Stratocruisers and 20 Constellations, I don't even look at the aircraft details let alone the profits much.

As ALFC says, anything within the rules is not "abuse". If you decided to play using 1s and 2s, it's your decision and at that stage, a semi-experienced player should already know there would not even be the slightest hope of challenging for the top spots in rankings that way.

Well, see, I'm not shooting for top rankings, if I was, I'd been "trippein" by now (hope some of you got that reference), in other words, accusing the top of cheating, and doing the most insane things to prove it. I tend to keep cheating and legal abuse serperate. For example, people who do route dumping, they're basically trying to max out the capacity of the route and make it unplayable, many consider that abuse. A new guy somehow magically out of nowhere attains 30 B377s, and dumps them on a route, I consider that abuse (route dumping) and cheating (figuring out how to get "free" planes by exploiting a code in the game somehow). Like I said, I believe in having a strong route network before a massive one (again, 2 different things in my opinion, strong one is well supported and can take a small hit, here a massive one which is not strong and supported by a bunch of .5s can fall easily, unless the demand can support it of course).

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 10:21:28 pm

See, once I recieve a plane, I tend to make sure I max it out as much as I can. So once I get to a point where doing 1s or 2s is impossible on it, I will send it on one or two seperate .5s.

in practical use, with more than four planes, you cant max out a plane AND maintain your 0.5 logic, as frequencychanges on routes are far too common.

If a massive amount of planes is that big of a problem for you, maybe someone should suggest aircraft ID as part of the "View Routes" menu I think that can be helpful overall, and you can make sure that you have 2 .5s. I mentioned that I only have a small number of planes, which is 4, since I play it more like a sim (like hte front page suggests), not a game, and my city choice is not exactly a LAX or JFK, so it'll make me only a fraction of what the big city guys make, but rest assured, it's no Amundson Scott either. Another thing that might help you is to name your planes, usually by using a registration..

see previous point, you mix up your "somewhere in my sandbox wonderland" theory with suggestions as to what would be feasible when playing the game with a competetive approach. your suggestions, with no reasoning but to self censor oneself to a roleplaying limit that is not hardcoded, is impossible to use and implement with numerous planes. bez sensu!

For example, people who do route dumping, they're basically trying to max out the capacity of the route and make it unplayable, many consider that abuse.

there are FEW routes that are really unable to make a profit. most "to lhr" routes were like that at the end of the round, but with a, for the phase of the game, mild investment, you can milk profit even out of single digit routes in this game.

A new guy somehow magically out of nowhere attains 30 B377s, and dumps them on a route, I consider that abuse (route dumping) and cheating (figuring out how to get "free" planes by exploiting a code in the game somehow). Like I said, I believe in having a strong route network before a massive one (again, 2 different things in my opinion, strong one is well supported and can take a small hit, here a massive one which is not strong and supported by a bunch of .5s can fall easily, unless the demand can support it of course).

your understanding of routenetworks and how they are best attacked is simply not true, but i suppose i will not attempt to explain it, since quite frankly, you should play the game first, its a moot point explaining something that you are most likely neither able to understand due to lack of experience nor care about since you dont play with a competetive attitude.
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 10:51:38 pm

See, once I recieve a plane, I tend to make sure I max it out as much as I can. So once I get to a point where doing 1s or 2s is impossible on it, I will send it on one or two seperate .5s.

in practical use, with more than four planes, you cant max out a plane AND maintain your 0.5 logic, as frequencychanges on routes are far too common.

If a massive amount of planes is that big of a problem for you, maybe someone should suggest aircraft ID as part of the "View Routes" menu I think that can be helpful overall, and you can make sure that you have 2 .5s. I mentioned that I only have a small number of planes, which is 4, since I play it more like a sim (like hte front page suggests), not a game, and my city choice is not exactly a LAX or JFK, so it'll make me only a fraction of what the big city guys make, but rest assured, it's no Amundson Scott either. Another thing that might help you is to name your planes, usually by using a registration..

see previous point, you mix up your "somewhere in my sandbox wonderland" theory with suggestions as to what would be feasible when playing the game with a competetive approach. your suggestions, with no reasoning but to self censor oneself to a roleplaying limit that is not hardcoded, is impossible to use and implement with numerous planes. bez sensu!

For example, people who do route dumping, they're basically trying to max out the capacity of the route and make it unplayable, many consider that abuse.

there are FEW routes that are really unable to make a profit. most "to lhr" routes were like that at the end of the round, but with a, for the phase of the game, mild investment, you can milk profit even out of single digit routes in this game.

A new guy somehow magically out of nowhere attains 30 B377s, and dumps them on a route, I consider that abuse (route dumping) and cheating (figuring out how to get "free" planes by exploiting a code in the game somehow). Like I said, I believe in having a strong route network before a massive one (again, 2 different things in my opinion, strong one is well supported and can take a small hit, here a massive one which is not strong and supported by a bunch of .5s can fall easily, unless the demand can support it of course).

your understanding of routenetworks and how they are best attacked is simply not true, but i suppose i will not attempt to explain it, since quite frankly, you should play the game first, its a moot point explaining something that you are most likely neither able to understand due to lack of experience nor care about since you dont play with a competetive attitude.

I said "Max them out the best I can", that means until the hours remaining reaches 0 or until it is near 0 That means I will have some planes at 0 or near 0 (like 1 or 2 perhaps?). I thought that would be easy to understand. Also, note that I played like this last round, and it worked out quite well. And I am playing the sim first (I seriously don't get why people call it a game, it says so in plain english on the front page). Heck, you have to attack me by calling me inexperianced, I was just making a point, the guy with the .5s will have a hard fall if someone comes with more frequencies and a larger plane. That is from my experiance, but I keep my points very uniform and stand by what I believe, where you seem to be in your own "Sandbox wonderland".

I also believe there is a line between competition and nonsense, competition invloves some chilvary, where as nonsense involves being a barbarian.
So to recap:
-I am not calling anyone who abuses .5s cheaters. I am only saying that it is sorta the same boat as gate hogging is on another game I'm sure you're familiar with.
-I'm not censoring, I'm just explaining my reasoning, if you want censoring, I'd be screaming "THATS NOT TRU UR CHEATING!!!!!111111111111111111." I'd be also using the "white is black" and "We're no longer at war with X, as we were never at war with X, we're now in war with Y, whom some may think we were never at war with" type of doubletalk as you would read about in 1984. Also, I'd deny everything what I've said, even when presented with it. That is censoring. Ask people I know who are playing the game, I have said many times the difference between "legal abusing" and "cheating".

I keep things in a normal, calm voice as I type this, no insults with namecalling and telling someone that they're inexperianced on things you don't need experiance for, as what you seem to be pushed into. I also explain my points, where as you just seem to repete yourself, and add insults to people's intellegence. I have run into a route that did become unplayabe last round too btw. But that was because of a fare war, and thankfully, it was near the end of the round. So no worries, and I did have a very strong network of about 176 routes I recall. Not too bad for an airline who started in mid 2005 I would say, esp from the smaller cities. I also cimbed from the 1100s or whatever new airlines tended to start to the 435th place. Don't think that I didn't use .5s whatsoever, but I only limited myself to 2 per plane, and it worked out great. Also, don't tell me my stragety has no sense (really, did you have to use polish?) Like I said, I keep my points uniform, and I play by those points the best I can, and it works out like a dream. Somehow, I have a feeling that the coders didn't intend on people flying 65 .5s with less than 10 planes when they were coding this up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk