Airline Mogul Forum

Long Haul?

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 07:11:38 am
But the idea is to run profit entirely from intercontinental routes

Honestly, then he needs to save up for an absolute minimum of 10 B762ER if he wants this to be successful.  Realistically it should be closer to 40-50, but most players aren't patient.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 09:04:41 am

Honestly, then he needs to save up for an absolute minimum of 10 B762ER if he wants this to be successful.  Realistically it should be closer to 40-50, but most players aren't patient.

I've done it with 25 planes once. Shut down my mega airline, scrapped a couple of hundred A320s and 737s, and bought 15 A330-200 and 10 Il-96-300. It worked, but it was ultimately extremely boring.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 11:53:15 am

The idea is not to see if I can be #1, but see if it is possible to create a airline with as much longhaul as possible, and as little domestic as can be.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 03:49:43 pm

The idea is not to see if I can be #1, but see if it is possible to create a airline with as much longhaul as possible, and as little domestic as can be.

Thats exactly what Pseudo meant. You need to replace your planes too often, so the actual number just to be in the black is at least 10 if the conditions are good, but usually many more.

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 02:46:13 am
I ment as little start up as possible

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 10:04:01 am
I ment as little start up as possible

Yes, but then you should get at least 10 in order to become self-sustainable.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 10:09:54 am
@Agent Orange:
Would routes like ATL-LAX be loing haul?

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 11:54:46 pm
@Agent Orange:
Would routes like ATL-LAX be loing haul?

Um, I am not sure would you consider it long haul?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 10:38:33 am
They're long, 2500nm+. I think it would be more like a 'medium haul', I was just curious.

Med Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 01:47:17 pm
They're long, 2500nm+. I think it would be more like a 'medium haul', I was just curious.

Ah, the good old question 'Where does a short haul flight end and a long haul one begin?' answer: Barcelona..... <--- I always thought that joke was funny but I've just realised it isn't  :roll:

I'd consider long haul anything over 7 hours, although wikipedia defines it as anything over 6.

You can make money just flying longhaul but as others said you would need at least 10, preferably more, aircraft in order to have a solid business model.

The only real airline I can think of that have made just long-haul operations work was PanAm, but they expanded too much during the late 70's and 80's just as the market was starting to shrink and they ended up tripping over their own momentum. The only reason VS is still around is due to Branson's very deep pockets.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 02:21:44 pm
The only reason VS is still around is due to Branson's very deep pockets.

Virgin makes a profit, and has done sso for most of it's existance. Branson invested a lot in the airline during upstart, but they certainly don't excist today because of Bransons deep pockets.

The only real airline I can think of that have made just long-haul operations work was PanAm

Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, V Australia, Cargolux, Qantas (in the 70s and 80s), Air Tahiti Nui, Sri Lankan, Air Mauritius, Air Transat, Air Caraibes, Air Greenland, World Airways, Air Austral, Air Seychelles and Biman Bangladesh.

To some extent, Qatar Airways, Etihad, Kuwait Airways and Gulf Air should also be included. They operate A32X, but most of them on medium range routes.

By comparison, Pan Am operated most of it's flights on domestic routes within the US with a massive fleet of 100 Boeing 727s, 5 737s, 12 A300s and 19 A310s. They only had 25 747s. They even operated a fleet of ATRs and Dash-7s, and had orders for 50 A320s. Pan Am wasn't a long haul-only airline, not even by a stretch.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 04:08:21 pm
How's the airline going? :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk