Airline Mogul Forum

Anyone else have a 'hurt' airline created for them??

Mjolnir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: October 04, 2007, 06:05:09 pm
Quote from: "Blue Sky Mine"

But you do know that the gates at certain locations in Northern America and Asia are very rare? Ever tried to get a gate at JFK (Wootwoot, I got one :D ) or at Montreal?

Can be kinda hard sometimes. And at the moment you'd also have problems aquiring enough longhaul planes. Lease market is emptied of anything bigger than an A321 except for the 772LR, which is kinda ridiculous for a route from WE to the eastcoast.
I got a gate at JFK, and I passed on one at Logan.

I passed because I didn't have the cash to buy a 777 or 747 to service a 1000-2500 person route with no one else on it.

Difficult does not equal impossible, and it's a little odd that people are complaining about how a big airline can't grow if they use smaller DOP routes.

I was under the impression that if you have planes sitting idle and the cash to rent gates that adding $100,000 DOP from an uncontested or lightly contested route with a 100k or 50k gate rental fee is getting bigger, not smaller.

Let's see how things go after the reset.
 know sweet FA about planes.

Armygrognard

Reply #46 on: October 04, 2007, 07:53:12 pm
Quote from: "Daemonfly"
Half the problem is the whole $1 under takes 100% of the passengers thing.

But you do know that the gates at certain locations in Northern America and Asia are very rare? Ever tried to get a gate at JFK (Wootwoot, I got one :D ) or at Montreal?

Can be kinda hard sometimes. And at the moment you'd also have problems aquiring enough longhaul planes. Lease market is emptied of anything bigger than an A321 except for the 772LR, which is kinda ridiculous for a route from WE to the eastcoast.

Nah, this isn't on any of the major routes like that. I generally haven't bothered with those unless I find a good unscheduled route (rare). Just one other airline was on these, and we were sharing them just fine with $1000+ ticket prices, then another comes in and I always find my routes at 0%. It's ok though, I jacked up my route frequency to 5.0 like he has, and set it at $1. If he wants to keep me at a negative profit for the route, then he can join me ;)

I'm considering setting every single one of my competing routes to $1 until the game ends  :twisted:  I probably have enough cash to do it without any issue.

Pot, meet kettle.

Armygrognard

Reply #47 on: October 04, 2007, 07:59:30 pm
Quote from: "Mjolnir"

I got a gate at JFK, and I passed on one at Logan.

I passed because I didn't have the cash to buy a 777 or 747 to service a 1000-2500 person route with no one else on it.

Difficult does not equal impossible, and it's a little odd that people are complaining about how a big airline can't grow if they use smaller DOP routes.

I was under the impression that if you have planes sitting idle and the cash to rent gates that adding $100,000 DOP from an uncontested or lightly contested route with a 100k or 50k gate rental fee is getting bigger, not smaller.

Let's see how things go after the reset.

The whining seems to be about their formerly uncontested routes.  I started in early SEP and now am nearing the top 100.  I have a DOP of between 70-75 million and am adding gates and flights daily.  I handled about 300,000 passengers a day (top 15).  Yeah, I have scrape and bottom-feed sometimes, but the name of the game is Airline Mogul, not Airline Niceguy.  As a late-comer, I'm one of the guys being complained about, you know, the one who enters a market and disrupts their carefully balanced routes.  

Too bad.   8)

I play games to win, not to 'get by'.

Ten minutes later:

I just added 1.4 million to my DOP by searching out a couple more gates that have opened up.  Yup, at someone else's expense.  And so it goes.

Daemonfly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: October 05, 2007, 03:22:56 am
I don't mind someone comming in on the routes, it's inevitable. Hopefully the price wars are short and it all balances out.

But when someone comes in on a bunch of your routes with 5+ frequency and extremely low prices putting just about everyone else on that route at 0%, then sure, people won't be happy. I'd edit, bring mine up enough, but then I'd be right back at 0% soon enough.

So, sure, if they wanna play like that, then I'll drop the prices to $1. If they want to put everyone at 0%/negative profit, then they can get a taste of their own medicine.  Another airline on one of my previously decently shared routes (~10 airlines) did this just when I was about to. The same problem airline came in and had a 5 freq 777 at extremely low prices, undercutting everyone, so he put his at $1 just as I was about to do mine.

Why get forced into the negative and run out of a route when you can ease up and still make profit.   Profit > no profit.

EXTspotter

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: October 05, 2007, 09:36:39 am
In the good old days I had a ton. its what you come to expect from people who are jealous :p

jealous?

Alex
ho said aviation sites were sexist?

Armygrognard

Reply #50 on: October 05, 2007, 11:22:53 am
I don't mind someone comming in on the routes, it's inevitable. Hopefully the price wars are short and it all balances out.

Yes, I have to admit daily battles get old.  I will be interested in seeing how a new age starts.  I'm a Johnny-come-lately and I may come to appreciate their complaints!

But when someone comes in on a bunch of your routes with 5+ frequency and extremely low prices putting just about everyone else on that route at 0%, then sure, people won't be happy. I'd edit, bring mine up enough, but then I'd be right back at 0% soon enough.

True.  I haven't done too may of those, unless it's a route where I'm the first to be there.  I like to keep a balance between frequency and price.  To me theres a sweet spot I like to hit.

So, sure, if they wanna play like that, then I'll drop the prices to $1. If they want to put everyone at 0%/negative profit, then they can get a taste of their own medicine.  Another airline on one of my previously decently shared routes (~10 airlines) did this just when I was about to. The same problem airline came in and had a 5 freq 777 at extremely low prices, undercutting everyone, so he put his at $1 just as I was about to do mine.

:lol:  I can't say I blame you for your frustration.  I just thought it was funny how earlier in the thread you complained about it, then turned around and said you were going to do it.

See ya in the new age!!!    :D

Quote from: "EXTspotter"
In the good old days I had a ton. its what you come to expect from people who are jealous :p

jealous?

Alex

:D   Old timer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:

juancho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: October 05, 2007, 02:39:27 pm
Yeah I've had one of those, it was kinda funny. :twisted:
img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1385/bannerko2.jpg[/img]

Daemonfly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: October 06, 2007, 06:22:56 am
Quote from: "Armygrognard"

:lol:  I can't say I blame you for your frustration.  I just thought it was funny how earlier in the thread you complained about it, then turned around and said you were going to do it.

See ya in the new age!!!    :D

Yeah, but only in retaliation, mostly ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk