Airline Mogul Forum

One way - bad idea!

Danny · 12 · 2270

Danny

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: July 03, 2007, 11:52:58 am
It basically allows ridiculous unrealistic profit by flying 0.5 frequency with 2000 or higher ticket price. What happened to the price limit?

Gothenburg City 0.5
Hannover 0.5
Frankfurt 0.5
Malmö-Sturup 0.5
Trondheim Vaernes 0.5
Sandefjord Torp 0.5
Berlin-Tegel 0.5
Hamburg 0.5
Stockholm-Arlanda 0.5
Copenhagen - Köbenhavn 0.5
Billund 0.5
Stavanger 0.5
Amsterdam 0.5
ww.airlinerphotos.prv.pl

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:56:49 am
I'll let Air Elbonia look after this one, we are planning changes to the LF formula again to reduce its profitability as the game is way to easy at the moment.

You should have a responce later today.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Danny

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:59:29 am
Steven - here is easy to implement idea until new formula comes on board: limit ticket price based on distance.

Say: 1000 max for routes up to 1000 miles, 2000 max for routes from 1001-2000 miles then 5000 for longer routes (to make long haul more attractive than it used to be).
ww.airlinerphotos.prv.pl

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:07:53 pm
I would say that is a bit too simple. A longer route with average demand may end up with higher ticket price than a shorter route with high demand. This is especially true for those 800~2500nm routes.

I would say maybe do the demand/pricing calculation as if the plane is flying 1 frequency flight, then cut the revenue in half whenever frequency = 0.5. (<<--- if you get what I mean)
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Danny

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:36:00 pm
I know it is very simple but in previous round we had one price limit for all routes so hey, it is already some advancement ;-) And it would cut ridiculous high profits.
ww.airlinerphotos.prv.pl

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 04:36:11 pm
I'm less inclined to institute a ticket cap then you'd like (at least not one in the ranges you'd like).

the various ticket caps in the last age rendered some aircraft not only always unprofitable, but essentially useless.  I'm confident (if and when) competition picks up, these one-ways will become less and less effective, as they'll be hit hardest by the loss of seats to a competitor.

HOWEVER, i do recognize there is a severe issue with how rapidly the game has paced and one-ways are at least partially responsible.  I have a few ideas for more moderate alterations to reduce ticket yields, but am wary of implementing them mid-age for fear of retribution and annoyed players.  How big of an impact are we looking for here?  And are there enough of you to (politely) help me fend off any complaints about a sudden and relatively drastic change to the cr formulae?
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 04:39:34 pm
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
HOWEVER, i do recognize there is a severe issue with how rapidly the game has paced and one-ways are at least partially responsible.  I have a few ideas for more moderate alterations to reduce ticket yields, but am wary of implementing them mid-age for fear of retribution and annoyed players.

I would have to agree with you that it would annoy players. I would say not to change the demand mid-age. The new age is only for 7 years (roughly) anyway. A bit of acceleration is helpful :wink:
D Express (id 616) 8)

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 04:53:56 pm
I've only made minor alterations to this point, largely unnoticalbe (unfortunately, largely unnoticable).

but the question still stands.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 05:06:15 pm
Ok... to answer your questions...

The yields for the previous age is kind of the right pace, I would say. Maybe a tiny bit higher would be good, but not that much.

Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
And are there enough of you to (politely) help me fend off any complaints about a sudden and relatively drastic change to the cr formulae?

I don't think it is about the number of players supporting you (although I would if needed). It is more like there would still be outrages and complaints. Having support does not solve that kind of situation. It could turn off some players and result in a splitted community (at worst).

If you make only minor, unnoticable alternations, they are not going to help much (if any).
D Express (id 616) 8)

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 06:08:15 pm
If you are to make any larger demand changes than the ones you've made so far, I'd make it an alpha test and wait for the next round to actually implement them. Most people here will probably support you if you do it this way.

The problems with demand were, as far as the beta test is concerned, mostly due to little testing with small aircraft, for which I might also have to take some responsibility.
To explain this to everyone: The beta-testing for the new create route script involved testing with existing aircraft from that round (ie. the last one), which in most cases were large aircraft (737 and higher). That might mean the new script, specifically the effects it had when dealing with small aircraft, have not been trough the testing they should have been, looking at the results from this round. To be fair, it's really hard to judge the consequences of the script in a new round, when all you can compare with is the existing round. It might sound rude, but this can happen in a game that's under development. No-one claims this game is perfect, and problems like this can come up all the time.

A solution to this problem is being worked on, so try to help us out as much as possible. See how the round progresses, and continue to give us feedback on the way things are right now, so we can improve the current system.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 09:12:28 pm
I think i'll be getting an alpha test tommorrow of my idea...

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 05:53:12 pm
Let's extend this discussion out a bit.  I'm starting to notice competition is really picking up in a few of my routes/focus cities... and it has pretty noticable affects on one-ways.  

I still believe the game to be too accelerated in its present state, but are we still thinking that one-ways are too disproportionately powered?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk