Airline Mogul Forum

African Adventure World (#541)

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
on: April 07, 2009, 10:49:15 am
I'm thinking of starting a private world for about 20/25 airlines, playing in Africa. The world data would be about as follows. If you're interested, reply here.

World Specifications
Starting Cash: €3.500.000
Starting Plane: None
Players would have to buy a plane, or several planes, from their starting cash. The first day, therefore, would be quite uneventful, but after that, you won't have any chance to whine about your starting aircraft choice, as you yourself have been responsible for that
Starting Year: 1969
Game length: 31
Game Map: Africa, all airports
Number of bases: 5, no foreign.
Max. Players: 25

Which choices will you make? Will you start a bush-flying airline, or will you be dealing with competition in Johannesburg International Airport? Whatever you choose, this should be an entertaining and at least remotely challenging scenario for both the experienced and the new AM players. As we can set income multipliers, I have started an income tax based on airline value (which is not added to anyone's account, it just evaporates. Call it community service) which is removed from everyone's account on a yearly basis, to stop the game from getting too easy after a couple of years. Also, I don't care if you create a 10-frequency, a 20-frequency or a 65.5-frequency route, as long as it is within game limitations and following the game rules. Maybe 65.5-frequency routes don't exist in real life, but I'm pretty sure that limiting it to 1- or 2-frequency routes is not realistic.

World Rules
1. Thou shalt not create airline names that are offensive, against AM Rules, similar to existing airline names or in use by real-world airlines. The world creator decides if your name is allowed. This same rule applies to alliance names as well.
2. Thou shalt pay thy taxes at the end of every year. Taxes are calculated based on a fixed formula, and not added to anyone's account, just deducted from yours.
3. Thou shalt not whine about your starting aircraft, competing airlines with more-than-1-frequency flights and other things that are not dealt with by the AM Rules.
4. Thou shalt request support from the World Owner if you need it, and you will be helped ASAP.
5. Thou shalt not give out the password to anyone, or thou shalt risk a ban.
6. Thou shalt, first and foremost, have fun while playing in this world.

When you join this world, you agree with these rules and play accordingly to them.

If you want to join the African Adventure World, please request the password by sending me a pm or using the in-game Request to Join function on the World Info page.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:16:45 pm by MrOrange »

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:32:02 pm
Interesting...
btw, there is more than JNB in Africa ;) ;)
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:12:44 pm
I know, there's some other airports but JNB was the first I thought of, and the biggest.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:49:51 pm
That sounds quite interesting - none of the massive expansion in Europe or America from a huge hub...

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:28:46 pm
That sounds quite interesting - none of the massive expansion in Europe or America from a huge hub...
That's why I chose Africa. Little to no big airports, but apart from that it has everything to make for a nice, entertaining world that shouldn't be too easy, nor too hard to play. I can imagine it being quite hard to quickly expand in Africa. Might make the game too slow, but that's something we can easily change if it bothers people.

Mrtnw

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:34:23 pm
Sounds interesting...
The continent offers enough possibilities to make it a fun game whereas there are certain limitations (nr of large airports, nr of gates available) to make things not too easy.
20-25 players seems to be about right as I expect, with 5 bases per player, that there will be a number of duplicate routes.

The free choice of starting plane(s) is a nice touch!

Would be interested to give it a try!

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 05:14:44 pm
Yeah, well, I have nothing against competition, I think we need competition to make the game slightly more interesting. Never got the point of having a full world with just 1 player in it.

Frequent Flyer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:32 am
Hello MrOrange,
I think this is a very intresting idea.
I'd love to join such a world.

My thoughts:
Starting Plane: Very cool!
Game length: personally I think that the longer it will be - the better it will be.
Game map: That's very original and I like it.
Do you think that a Bush Flying airline (I assume you mean an airline that flies to small airports) can actually be succesful as an airline flying to major cities? It could be a nice experience, but I don't think it will be too hard (I'd like to hear your opinion - how do you think bush flying can be profitable?).
I also think that enforcing a no-real-airline-names is a good idea. This is a very original and unique server idea - and I think players need to be a-bit original too - at least in creating an airline name.

Thanks for sharing us with this idea,
Cheers,
Frequent Flyer.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:34:56 pm
When you start up a bush-flying airline, you'll most likely be making less profits but you'll be flying with smaller planes as well, which basically cancels each other out. You're also less likely to find massive competition on these routes. So you won't be making the money the Johannesburg-based airline will be making, but it doesn't really compare. It's just a completely different style of playing the game. When you start this bush-flying-kind-of-airline, which does indeed mean flying to and from small airfields, you won't be as successful airline-value-wise, most likely, but that's not really the point. The point is that you can find your airline to be successful/unsuccessful, and really you shouldn't mind if your airline value is lower.

Thanks for your feedback.

Frequent Flyer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:26:24 pm
Ok, I get it.
I'll follow this topic to see when you are going to actually create the world and to see other updates regarding this idea.

Edit: I now have 30 Tokens and wish to join a new world.
Should I wait for this world or should I join a different world (which means I'll have enough credits to join this world only in 15 days)?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 05:08:58 pm by Frequent Flyer »

Jet

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 09:12:02 am
I have already thought of an airline name and done a livery for it, count me in :D

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 11:32:56 am
I'll create the world somewhere around today (today = 04/12). The first post of this thread will outline the rules, you can request to join the world (i.e. get the password) right here.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 01:11:53 pm
Sorry for the dp :-[

The Mr. Owls African Adventure World has been created. It's Private World 541. You can request the password by pm-ing me or using the in-game Request function on the World Info page. See the first post for updates on things and stuff.

Frequent Flyer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 04:47:52 pm
Great! I've requested to join using the built in function.
This is going to be fun  :lol:

Wizzie

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 11:42:04 am
Sent a request to join.
This is going to be epic
MelAir (MLA)
ID: 11730
Flying you there in luxury
Official member of the unofficial "I need help" club

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk