Airline Mogul Forum

LED still missing?

YX Ramper

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: March 20, 2009, 01:30:23 pm
Couldn't help but notice that St. Petersburg, Russia seems to be missing in 350. Has it found it's way into new worlds? The airport has it's own website if you need GPS or runway data.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:49:57 pm
If you would be so kind to use the search option in rent gate, you would have found it listed under the name "Pulkovo". Since we do realize that some people would not be familiarized with searching by airport code, the airport name has been updated to include the city...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:51:51 pm by dktc »
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

YX Ramper

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:43:56 pm
Thanks! You do have a habit of using the airport name sometimes, rather then the city, which adds to the confusion.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 06:50:15 pm
Thanks! You do have a habit of using the airport name sometimes, rather then the city, which adds to the confusion.

You have just explained why. Also not all airports are beside cities.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Severnaya

• Airline Operative
  • The truth is more important than the facts.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 12:57:12 am
Thanks for adding the city name at LED.

When will we see the whole database follow one rule?

Let me give 3 examples: AM has CGN: Koln-Bonn (AM) (Real name: Konrad Adenauer)
KGD: Khrabrovo (AM) Real name: Khrabrovo
KUF: Samara (AM) Real name: Kurumoch International Airport

and it's not only these 3 cities/airports.

Why not just to have the city + the airport name like in this thread: St Petersburg Pulkovo....Koln/Bonn Konrad Adenauer....Samara Kurumoch International Airport....New York JFK.
In my opinion its the best way to solve:
- Confusion (most people don't know the airport name, but DO know the city)
- Inconsistent database.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 02:41:45 am
The issue is that we have 3200+ airports in the database... and it has taken me a whole afternoon + evening just to take care of the 150-ish airports in China...

This is very time-consuming and not exactly "enjoyable" ^-^
We will get to it eventually, but we still have a long way to go...
D Express (id 616) 8)

TTA

• Global Moderator
  • Airline Operative
  • SirMoo
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:09:21 pm
The issue is that we have 3200+ airports in the database... and it has taken me a whole afternoon + evening just to take care of the 150-ish airports in China...
You should have heard his whining on the IRC. >_>

Um... How is KGD different in the example you gave?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:11:22 pm by TTA »
IRC = Internet Relay Cow - Muu!
           (__)
           (oo)
    /------\/
 / |       ||
*  ||----||
   ^^    ^^
My robot eats grass. Muuuu!

Severnaya

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:26:52 pm
The issue is that we have 3200+ airports in the database...
Well the airports were also once entered in the database... ;)

Um... How is KGD different in the example you gave?
It's not different. It's just to show that there is not simply 1 rule followed by AM in naming the airports.

Oh and i know the most important source for AM is GCM, but then follow it consistent.

Just my 2 eurocents.

TTA

• Global Moderator
  • Airline Operative
  • SirMoo
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 09:42:31 pm
If you want to get highly technical on things, 1994 marked the name change to Flughafen Köln/Bonn-Konrad Adenauer. So technically Cologne Bonn Airport or Koln Bonn Airport is it's correct name according to their official site.

If you're going to say that the name needs to be changed to simply Konrad Adenauer... Things like Dallas/Ft.Worth will need to change to their offical name of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Dallas Love will need to be Dallas Love Field.

While I do understand the issue with Kurumoch International Airport... I don't see it with Koln-Bonn.
IRC = Internet Relay Cow - Muu!
           (__)
           (oo)
    /------\/
 / |       ||
*  ||----||
   ^^    ^^
My robot eats grass. Muuuu!

Severnaya

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 10:29:49 pm
If you're going to say that the name needs to be changed to simply Konrad Adenauer... Things like Dallas/Ft.Worth will need to change to their offical name of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Dallas Love will need to be Dallas Love Field.
I didn't say that the name needs to be changed to K.A. (furthermore those were just examples to prove the inconsistency of the database, i'm sure i can give you a hundred(s) more :-X). I mean who on earth knows Tolmachevo, but people know Novosibirsk.

As i wrote some replies above:
Why not just to have the "city + the airport name" like in this thread: St Petersburg Pulkovo....Koln/Bonn Konrad Adenauer....Samara Kurumoch International Airport....New York JFK.....Amsterdam Schiphol.

In my opinion its the best way to solve:
- Confusion (most people don't know the airport name, but DO know the city)
- Inconsistent database.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 10:36:11 pm
Splitting the city and airport names seems to make more sense to me. Adding an additional database column would also allow for a new level in search hierarchy as well, that would tie in with States.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

jghastings

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 03:22:41 pm
Hi,

Rather than start a new topic, I thought I would post here (seems most appropriate).

I'm a little confused with the way airport names are showing up in different parts of the game, so was just wondering whether this is a work-in-progress or whether I should be flagging up when strange things are happening?

For instance, if you go to the View Gates screen then Beirut comes up as Beirut International Airport, which is also the only name used for it when you click into that airport.  However, in the View Routes screen my service to BEY from Zurich says Rafic Hariri International and has no mention of Beirut anywhere (I thought I was losing the plot when trying to find the Beirut flight so I could switch the aircraft on it).  A similar issue comes up with Athens, which shows as just Athens in the View Gates screen but as El.Venizelos International in View Routes.

Is this something that will change in due course?  If not will it be possible for the View Routes screen to show the city name rather than the airport name (to avoid getting the likes of Glen Burnie - Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshal Airport showing up - being based there would be a nightmare)?  Perhaps the city name followed by the IATA code, such as London LGW, Baltimore BWI, Shanghai PVG etc.?

As a final aside, my home base in PW#529 seems to vary between Zurich and Zürich Airport - will this in future show up as Zurich Zürich Airport? ;)
ID: 8330

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 04:17:11 pm
This is a work in progress. We are researching the location of the airports and updating the airport names to their official names. When the work is done, the city and the name will be seperated. We are still considering how to show those, but hopefully, we would be able to build int several options for our players to choose from.
D Express (id 616) 8)

bmibabyrule

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 04:46:40 pm
i looked up atlanta but it was under its own name

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 03:05:40 am
I know this is gravedigging...But I can give you an honest answer as to why ALOT of smaller regional airports in the US might have semi-goofy names...  That is the name on the FAA database I used when I orginally submitted them.  The database lists city and state in a different column than name.. At that time there was no way to enter the city info.

Is it going to make an enourmous difference as to whether is listed as Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport is the D-base or as Springfield, IL ??  Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport is what the FAA calls it, so that is what went into the D-base.

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk