Airline Mogul Forum

Server Trouble?

skywaker9

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: February 28, 2009, 04:53:12 am
Several times over the past day or two I've run into the server being down or very slow, and not just when doing Create or Edit Route....

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:39:25 pm
What kind of connection are you running? Browser, operating system, router (if using wifi)?
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:39:54 pm
Skywalker, check some of the other posts about this under bugs. It's been an on-going problem that the staff either hasn't been able to fix, or just doesn't think it's important enough to fix. That's why so many people are dropping out of the game.  8)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:43:03 pm
Several times over the past day or two I've run into the server being down or very slow, and not just when doing Create or Edit Route....

Its an on-going issue that is being attended to from a number of approaches.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 11:24:52 pm

Its an on-going issue that is being attended to from a number of approaches.
I know this is something the staff is aware of, and more than likely they are trying to remedy the problem in the little bit of spare time they have. I understand (completely) that school has to come first, as it should. However ( :D ) if you are going to have a game that advertisers are paying to have their ads on, and that (some) people are paying to play by purchasing optional tokens, you should either have the game so that it is operating properly, or take it down until you can get it fixed. To have such a great game like this operating half-ass is no good for anyone.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:13:47 am
Patch attempt on what I think is the problem child of the game, from the looks of it I'm probably right as to it being a bigger cause of lag than anything else...

Let me know if the site appears any faster/more consistent from this post forward.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 06:03:35 am
Patch attempt on what I think is the problem child of the game, from the looks of it I'm probably right as to it being a bigger cause of lag than anything else...

Let me know if the site appears any faster/more consistent from this post forward.
So do you only want to know if it appears any faster, or if it has made absolutely no impact whatsoever? When you hit 'create route,' it spins, and spins, and spins, and spins...........2-3 minutes. The game is not fun, and it is not playable, when it is (mis)functioning like this. This would be one of the main reasons you have lost so many of your original players, and one of the main reasons you can no longer fill up a public world. But in the meantime, I have gotten really good at Tiger Woods Golf on PS2. (hey, my screw-around time is still my screw-around time. Gotta do something non-productive!)  8)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:13:19 pm by Dooskie III »

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 06:27:43 pm
and one of the main reasons you can no longer fill up a public world.

I disagree with that--it is more minor. Private Worlds have caused the lack of players in public worlds--and the random generator is certainly not doing the game any favors.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:31:07 pm by pseudoswede »

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 02:57:23 am

So do you only want to know if it appears any faster, or if it has made absolutely no impact whatsoever? When you hit 'create route,' it spins, and spins, and spins, and spins...........2-3 minutes. The game is not fun, and it is not playable, when it is (mis)functioning like this. This would be one of the main reasons you have lost so many of your original players, and one of the main reasons you can no longer fill up a public world. But in the meantime, I have gotten really good at Tiger Woods Golf on PS2. (hey, my screw-around time is still my screw-around time. Gotta do something non-productive!)  8)

We care if it appears faster, if it actually is faster, and if it's lighter on the server itself.  I know the patch appears faster in the lab, and is definitely lightened the load on the server itself.  The former hopefully pans out to a little peppier route creation overall, the latter hopefully reduces the instances when the whole game appears to grind to a halt or hang.

Two further small patches applied, neither unfortunately directly to the route creation process.  One applied to fleet management system, one to the select world page.  Both hopefully will overall further lighten the load on the server and generally improve performance (read as faster page loads of select world and fms, fewer site hangs overall).  These were implemented because frankly I could quickly and easily fix them.  Hopefully some spillover benefit will be felt, but I cannot guarantee how noticeable this will be at this moment.

I am focusing on what I can fix now, as well as to the best of my ability focusing on what I can do to pep up the route creation process.  With luck we can squeeze more speed out of this...  -gets back to work-

gisa

• Airline Operative
  • "You can have it all but how much do you want it?"
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 03:59:02 am
Please keep up the good work!  I've definitely noticed an improvement over the past few weeks.  It does hang sometimes, but maybe 5% of the time I'd say...

8)

Mr. Gisa ^^
Gisa Airlines: Gateway Into South Africa!
Sky Knights: The sky is the bottom limit!

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 04:35:17 am
Maybe another half dozen more small optimizations applied.  varying degrees of how often they're triggered.  hopefully there's continued small improvements made.  We're looking into ways to fix any noticeable lag in create/edit/close route specifically, however at the moment the only solutions I have continue to be the spillover related stuff.  Sorry.

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 06:51:18 pm
Maybe another half dozen more small optimizations applied.  varying degrees of how often they're triggered.  hopefully there's continued small improvements made.  We're looking into ways to fix any noticeable lag in create/edit/close route specifically, however at the moment the only solutions I have continue to be the spillover related stuff.  Sorry.
There was a time when all of this mattered to you guys. It saddens me that it doesn't anymore. But Jackie Paper grew up too.  :'( 8)

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 03:30:51 am
It is not that it doesn't matter. It still matters greatly. However realistically, there is only 24 hours a day....
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 04:37:40 am
It matters deeply to all of us.  Here's the gross truth as I know it at the moment.

I know where the lag exists in create route // edit // close (it is in a common piece of all three).  This issue is compounded by queries that lag while hitting the tables that store our route data (think of a traffic jam).  Unfortunately I've yet been able to come up with an optimization to the core of the lag, but I'm doing my best to minimize interference from other pieces of the website as I find them.  This frees resources and reduces direct interference in the route table. 

We have a plan of action for the laggiest pieces, but it's an intensive patch (not as ready as other optimizations).  In the mean time, when I find something I can fix in 15 minutes or less that would lighten the load and hopefully make the site run a little smoother & faster, I put it in place.  Something > Nothing.

Odd statistic. 37% of all pages viewed are the create route page.  I've dropped in a small optimization in the alliance portion of the depart menu. Unfortunately the specific improvement is dropping from .3 seconds down to .1... but the faster it goes, the less it's in the way, the fewer resources are used, and hopefully, the faster we all go. Hopefully it's one more city bus taking a few dozen cars out of the lag traffic jam.

seafly4fun

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 09:59:36 am
Clicked continue on the Select A World Lobby over 5 minutes ago and it is still spinning without going to the next page.  :'(
ttp://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/view_airline.php?id=8248
MCLR where we put the boogie in air travel!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk