Airline Mogul Forum

The stupidity of Multifreq

skywaker9

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: February 20, 2009, 02:11:59 am
Seriously, people, multifreqing just ruins the game for all of us.  Its annoying and its also not in your best interest.  Oh and if you keep dumping low fares on routes where there is limited competition, past a certain point it doesn't matter because I can charge above you at 1 feq. and the same plane and STILL fill it....

csturdiv

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:28:24 am
You are not talking about the crazy multifreqs in W350 are you?  LAX-SAN LAX-LAS are insane, some people have 3 frequencies and that is driving the profits down.

skywaker9

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:35:16 am
That is indeed what I am talking about.  I almost have to laugh at one of my main competitor in SAN, who has more planes and flights but less capacity and is worth a lot less because he/she is an idiot.  SAN-LAX is literally my least profitable route in the entire system and SAN-LAS is just behind that.  I make more $ flying a .5 frequency on SAN-Catalina than those flights....

Fitch

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 10:07:34 am

The Stupidity of MultiFreq is that we're discussing how stupid it is to be flying with a freq of more then 1.......

We should be here blasting people who have hundreds of 1 freq flights......

Multi Frequency flights SHOULD be huge cash cows......

The only way this isn't true is if a Frequency here isn't what I think it is....

I see a Frequency as meaning a flight...therefore a Freq of 1, is a roundtrip...whereas a Freq of 0.5 is a one-way trip......

Which brings me to my Biggest issue here.....0.5 Flights should be losing Buckets of money. Airlines don't Fly one-way flights.....Except to Victorville. Because ANY money made on the actual Revenue flight will be immediatly lost by the fact that the thing has to fly BACK to it's origination EMPTY....

In my Opinion .5 Freqs need to be totally removed from th game or Seriously reworked so they go from raking in cash to losing mass quantities of it

islandflyer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 11:21:41 am
Hmmm... I always saw 0.5 freq flights as "what can this plane do in a 24 hour period". In other words, for long haul I may only be able to fit two 0.5's in a day. So I do LHR-BGI, then BGI-CDG in 1 day. Tomorrow is the reverse.

For short hauls, I may do a full day of round trips, but I may have a route that is more profitable as one way, so that might be my last flight of the day to overnight at my out station, before returning the next morning. Make sense?

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 11:32:22 am
This should how 0.5 routes work.
Take this example, each letter is an airport:
Day One
A>B
B>C
C>B
B>D
D>B

Day Two (reverse)
B>D
D>B
B>C
C>B
B>A

You can see the daily frequencies are:
B A - 0.5
B C - 1
B D - 1

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:53:14 am
Multi Frequency flights SHOULD be huge cash cows......

Reason? More supply leads to higher price??

Which brings me to my Biggest issue here.....0.5 Flights should be losing Buckets of money. Airlines don't Fly one-way flights.....Except to Victorville. Because ANY money made on the actual Revenue flight will be immediatly lost by the fact that the thing has to fly BACK to it's origination EMPTY....

In my Opinion .5 Freqs need to be totally removed from th game or Seriously reworked so they go from raking in cash to losing mass quantities of it

In reality, airlines fly TONS of one-ways. If a plane goes
A->B->C->D->E->A, or
A->B->C->D on one day then D->C->B->A the next,
it would have flying one-ways.

Teleporting is prohibited by the script.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 07:14:10 pm
Perhaps sending a friendly PM to your competitor will show him/her the light?

------------

For example...

Hello,

Please re-consider your strategy. Please read this thread on the forum...

http://stephenm.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=9558.0

Thank you.

------------

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

lasdlt

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 09:00:38 pm
Quick question kinda off topic: I've never had two bases before, but will soon be opening one.  If I want to fly routes out of my new base, will those planes also be available to fly out of my original base?

For instance, if Plane 1 flys out of Airport B to Airport C on a 1 frequency flight, would it then be able to fly from Airport A to Airport D, providing it still has enough hours?
Ireland Air
World 350 & 366

skywaker9

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 09:06:49 pm
Yes but the best strategy is to "base" your aircraft at one of your bases.  I use the "Fleet" system to manage these.  For example, in PW 350 I have my planes split between PDX, SAN and Mexico City-based.  Makes assigning them easier....

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:27:42 pm
Just use logic to work out if a plane could do a certain route. Your plane can't teleport to another airport.
Take the following examples

Base 1>A
Base 2>A
Base 2>B
This works because the plane can get to Base 2 via airport A.

Base 1>A
Base 1>Base 2
Base 2>B
This works because there is a direct flight between bases.

Base 1>A
Base 2>B
This does not work, because the plane would need to teleport.

Although, you should consider basing aircraft at an airport, as it makes it easier to change around flights (a connecting flight, like Base 1>A in the first example, can't be ended until all flights which depend on it are also stopped).

lasdlt

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:56:52 pm
Alright, I get it now.  Thanks for the help.
Ireland Air
World 350 & 366

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 10:36:04 am
Yes but the best strategy is to "base" your aircraft at one of your bases.  I use the "Fleet" system to manage these.  For example, in PW 350 I have my planes split between PDX, SAN and Mexico City-based.  Makes assigning them easier....
That's a matter of personal taste, really. I often double- or even triple-base airplanes whenever I can, and whenever it fills up the airplane hours to just under 24.

DkCr

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 04:01:50 am

You must have a headache doing that when its that time to replace/upgrade your airplanes especially if you've got a fairly large fleet to manage, not to mention the lag if you're unfortunate enough.

csturdiv

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 10:44:37 pm
OK, here we go, this is the type of stupidity that is ruining the routes for all.

LAX-SFO
Airline 1   Vickers-Armstrongs Nene-Viking     10    €150
Airline 2    BAC 111-400     2    €170
Airline 3   Boeing 727-100    3    €174
Airline 4    Potez 841    5    €125
Airline 5    Fokker F27-400    3    €145
Airline 6   Tupolev Tu-114     2.5    €175

*edited by dktc: please don't accused your fellow players of being stupid ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:26:52 am by dktc »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk