Airline Mogul Forum

[ISO 3166-1 alpha-2] Country Name Updates

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
on: June 29, 2007, 01:23:21 am
Just a quick note, all country names are now updated to comply with ISO 3166-1 alpha-2. This is in conjunction with an overhaul of the gates area. If you have any isssues with country names please contact an admin.

On a side note, AM has over 150 countries ingame. :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:46:46 pm by MrOrange »
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

clee899

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 06:10:11 am
Taiwan's official name should be: Taiwan (Republic of China). It is not a province of China.
img]http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5485/mybanner477b04be4b9ddgdaj8.jpg[/img]

Mountainair ID:2484

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 09:38:49 am
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

gizgiz

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 10:21:51 am
Quote from: "clee899"
Taiwan's official name should be: Taiwan (Republic of China). It is not a province of China.

You should be politically correct here. Taiwan is not recognized as an independent country by some nations.
[20:28] <Jps> your still a w****r with your new sig
[20:36] <gizgiz> you know what? this channel is hopeless
[20:36] *** gizgiz was kicked from #AirlineMogul by Jps [Just get lost.]

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 01:08:59 pm
Quote from: "gizgiz"

You should be politically correct here. Taiwan is not recognized as an independent country by some nations.

Taiwan is not recognized as an independent country by most nations. If you insist, we have to send missles to clear out your planes :P  :lol:
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 01:16:29 pm
Well, but some other countries aren't recognised by other countries in RL and still you have them in AM(see Israel).
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 01:29:48 pm
Quote from: "Blue Sky Mine"
Well, but some other countries aren't recognised by other countries in RL and still you have them in AM(see Israel).

Israel is recognized by most countries.

Taiwan is only recognized by 20-ish states while the proposal of it being part of PRC is recognized by 100+ states. As a result, it is not technically a state.

Israel is not recognised by a very limited number of Islamic states. And if you are thinking about Palestan, it is only recognized by its own people (which doesn't fit into the definition of "state")

*note: "state"  = country in context of political science
D Express (id 616) 8)

Armygrognard

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:06:01 pm
Quote from: "gizgiz"

Screw political correctness.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 02:44:07 pm
Well, it's simply true that since most countries don't recognize Taiwan as a republic, you can't call it a country just because they themselves think so. If I go create a country of my own in which Schiphol Airport is located, and I tell Stephen, I'm quite sure he won't put it in the database. (If he does, I'll go create the country :) )

Armygrognard

Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 04:33:40 pm
Quote from: "MrOrange"
Well, it's simply true that since most countries don't recognize Taiwan as a republic, you can't call it a country just because they themselves think so. If I go create a country of my own in which Schiphol Airport is located, and I tell Stephen, I'm quite sure he won't put it in the database. (If he does, I'll go create the country :) )

/me thinks about the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

http://www.geocities.com/montypythonline/Holy_Grail/sounds/tart.wav

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 04:50:04 pm
Quote from: "MrOrange"

Alright, and the name and flag of that country that now owns Schiphol Airport? -starts taking notes-

nah.  Historically taiwan has been recognized as a nation sufficiently for us to recognize it as such in game.  The only reason these days that PRC is trumping Taiwan is the politics of cheap cheap cheap manufacturing (that seems to involve antifreeze and dangerous parts).  Politics is a terrible game.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 05:01:47 pm
Taiwan is only recognized by 20-ish states while the proposal of it being part of PRC is recognized by 100+ states. As a result, it is not technically a state.

The Germans sold some subs to Taiwan a long time ago. Dunno if they recognise them though :D [/quote]
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 05:28:56 pm
The Germans don't recognize Taiwan as a country now... but they do recognize $$  :P

Taiwan has never been a country by itself historically. The so-called "country" is due solely to the fact that the ROC government fleed there and the PRC government didn't chase them over (because of whatever reasons... including they didn't have enough warships :? ).

PRC is trumping Taiwan, but not with their economy. They are doing it with the threat of a war. If the other states recognize Taiwan, a war would probably be started, which is something none of the "status quo" want to see. The war would have a huge impact on the globe's economy, not to mention there is no way to know what weapons would be used. (Keep in mind PRC is a nuclear power).

Politics are always cheap. No doubt about it. But then, if the majority of the world don't officially recognize Taiwan, it is not a country. That being said, topic locked.
D Express (id 616) 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk