Airline Mogul Forum

Critique of new features

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: October 10, 2008, 12:49:32 pm
View Aircraft page has the toggle all rows, let me know if it suits/doesn't suit. I changed it so that the + changes to a - on clicking.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #76 on: October 10, 2008, 12:55:53 pm
View Aircraft page has the toggle all rows, let me know if it suits/doesn't suit. I changed it so that the + changes to a - on clicking.

Yes. I think that helps a lot. It's far easier to see at a glance what aircraft belong to each fleet, for instance. :)

LSA

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: October 10, 2008, 01:44:23 pm
so pls give us that listing back - include airplane age  ;)-

Just a note on this front, aswell as the routes issue. Did you read:
Missing Information?
Click on the Plus Sign next to an airplane, to expand that airplane and see more detailed information on it. Click the sign again to collapse the plane when you are done viewing it.
For even more detail, click the aircraft ID just right of the Plus Sign to view more details on the aircraft, and be able to sell, lease or rename it.

Basically, click on the yellow box with the + in it, to see the age and value of the aircraft. For routes all the information from the old display are there aswell. There will be edit and close route icons added soon, I am waiting on feedback about placement of these. I don't really do any design work anymore, its not my strong point and I leave it to those with the skills.

thx but i know that and its nice, but i can see only the routes from that one aircraft, and if u have 1500 planes it likes a lot of time to click and look how old ~maybe 150 planes are, if u want sell them out ??? but thats not so importend.

more importend is that( for example:) i want see ALL routes from a HUB ( not the planes are flying there )maybe to close all 0,5 routes or to close all routes less then 20 k income - or something like this.. - thats NOT possible now - or ?

edit, i take a look at the route screen right now ( all routes from HUB XXX ), so maybe u have only to make a row where the freq. is shown ( between Profit/load ? )and a window for close route - each route - so that u can close them - in one step - with the close botton at the bottom ( is there )

and a last thing, if u would swich the " Display options " from the right to the left side ( unter " token window " ) u would have more space for the listing

i know that ALL informations i want are there but i think we need them on the overwiev and not inside route or airplane window, the other way waste to much time if the game is running longer btw if u have more planes/routes

thx
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 02:12:03 pm by LSA »

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: October 10, 2008, 02:55:01 pm
so maybe u have only to make a row where the freq. is shown ( between Profit/load ? )and a window for close route - each route - so that u can close them - in one step - with the close botton at the bottom ( is there )

That should be there by clicking on the + on the view routes page. I will be making a toggle button to expand/colapse all rows later this weekend.
Stephen Murphy

LSA

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: October 10, 2008, 04:26:45 pm
so maybe u have only to make a row where the freq. is shown ( between Profit/load ? )and a window for close route - each route - so that u can close them - in one step - with the close botton at the bottom ( is there )

That should be there by clicking on the + on the view routes page. I will be making a toggle button to expand/colapse all rows later this weekend.

ähmm.. yes i know.. and so i have to make 2400 clicks to find out which routes are .5 ( 1200 for open, 1200 for close + ) if i have 1200 routes from London ??

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: October 10, 2008, 10:39:35 pm
please add the edit icon on the main line when you have the chance. When I use Explorer its painfully slow trying to get things edited.

Would this do?

These can be put on the main line quite easily.

Hopefully these can be implemented soon.

Icons are added.
Stephen Murphy

Seattlepilot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: October 11, 2008, 11:22:13 am
Stephen,
appreciate the icons but how crutial are they? Once again you, as a design team not personally,are ignoring some very important requests. Your priorities are pretty much backwards. People have been asking for more information on the listing pages. These valuable information are hidden in the '+' areas or by clicking on the aircraft.

To give you an idea, i still cannot see what aircraft is assigned with a fleet management label by looking at 'view aircraft'. You need to put more and valuable information on the opening page.

I will voice the same opinion that i did after the release of this new version,the website is too crowded. You decided to add 'fancy' features by adding more irrelevant data to the left and to the right of the screen.
On view aircraft , do i really need to see 'purchase tokens' window?

Here's a very important statistics for you: when i open the 'view aircraft' screen , the area that i see the information that i want to see , where the aircraft are listed, is occupying 17% of the screen. Yep, only 17% is the information that is being displayed is valuable to me.

Take a look at the Purchase Aircraft area on the same screen. Becuase of the drop down screens you have a large area dedicated to the right side.. It's eating away so much real estate, it's unbelivable..

Lastly, the problems that you are running into are because of bad management of this project.I know we discussed this before, but you have to have some kind of a planning, oversight, project management about these.

When you have a major issue like hot swapping aircraft where it's going to make things easier for 13K+ users , you cannot deal with small stuff..

I got critisized before for being too harsh on you and i have offered my help. It's been a week and noone contacted me from your management team. My offer is still valid..

Lastly, where are most of the 'team' located? If they are concentrated to a certain time zone, then you should consider having multiple teams from different parts of the world so that you can make this 'volunteer' project and on going 24 hr long development.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: October 11, 2008, 01:19:59 pm
Stephen,
appreciate the icons but how crutial are they? Once again you, as a design team not personally,are ignoring some very important requests. Your priorities are pretty much backwards. People have been asking for more information on the listing pages. These valuable information are hidden in the '+' areas or by clicking on the aircraft.

To give you an idea, i still cannot see what aircraft is assigned with a fleet management label by looking at 'view aircraft'. You need to put more and valuable information on the opening page.
By toggling all the rows to display/close, this basically allows the same view within 1 extra click. I am going to move the toggle button to the top of the tables, but it will take a few minutes.

I will voice the same opinion that i did after the release of this new version,the website is too crowded. You decided to add 'fancy' features by adding more irrelevant data to the left and to the right of the screen.
On view aircraft , do i really need to see 'purchase tokens' window?
The "Fancy" features on the right of the screen should have been there since roughly 2006/2007. I designed AM with a main table area for the left and a small table area for the right. The only major change here is that there are intermittent photos appearing.
On the left side, we have moved the airline details from the top of the page to the left. Once the private worlds were launched they would have caused design problems in terms of fitting everything in up there.

In terms of navigation, I wouldn't mind adding an extra box to the left of the screen, where a user can place for example 5 pages they regularly use, and they can simply click on the link to go there from any page, instead of using the menu bar.
I can also look at using Javascript to change the menus to rollover and change the lower row. However I am by no means skilled in Javascript and will probably need help from our third developer.

Here's a very important statistics for you: when i open the 'view aircraft' screen , the area that i see the information that i want to see , where the aircraft are listed, is occupying 17% of the screen. Yep, only 17% is the information that is being displayed is valuable to me.
What is your screen resolution size? The idea of the design change there and in routes was to make the number of rows visible than before. Again on this front, there may be something we can do for the left side of the screen, but my skills are not up to the task and I wont really discuss what I have in mind unless I find someone who can do it.

Take a look at the Purchase Aircraft area on the same screen. Becuase of the drop down screens you have a large area dedicated to the right side.. It's eating away so much real estate, it's unbelivable..
That has been there since the beginning of AM.

Lastly, the problems that you are running into are because of bad management of this project.I know we discussed this before, but you have to have some kind of a planning, oversight, project management about these.
I wont deny project management is poor.

When you have a major issue like hot swapping aircraft where it's going to make things easier for 13K+ users , you cannot deal with small stuff..
Availability of suitable developers is the issue here. I prefer to let this feature be developed by someone with greater skills in this area than myself.

I got critisized before for being too harsh on you and i have offered my help. It's been a week and noone contacted me from your management team. My offer is still valid..
I may have missed that, and will look back over your posts.

Lastly, where are most of the 'team' located? If they are concentrated to a certain time zone, then you should consider having multiple teams from different parts of the world so that you can make this 'volunteer' project and on going 24 hr long development.
There are 3 developers. One in the United States. He has a full time job aside from AM and currently works on improving the performance of the database and the server. He has done huge work here and cleaned up my crap progressively since he joined.
Two of us are based in Europe. I am a full time honours degree final year student and I devote about 30mins to AM in terms of development time daily. Admin tasks are performed when I get a chance in college. Weekends are a mix of leisure and AM time. There have been two advertisements this year for developers, but no final appointments were made.

I appreciate the feedback and I hope I have made a balanced approach to the answer.

Just on a side note, I don't suppose anyone noticed the lack of advertising at the top of the page? Despite the fact it was a top earning position, I thought it might be a welcome change.
Stephen Murphy

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: October 11, 2008, 03:10:15 pm
Aircraft return bug:
 When I return a leased aircraft only the first route is displayed as closed. It should be the entire route system that gets cancelled.

I was working through the posts and this may be because the rest of the routes appear closed at the end of the page. Not by design however.
Stephen Murphy

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: October 11, 2008, 03:26:40 pm
For the sake of consolidation, I've compiled this thread into a spreadsheet and is available to view here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pYxtfuDN7DrUOgsQksYwvHg
Stephen Murphy

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: October 11, 2008, 05:39:58 pm
Some changes for today:

Daily until delivery - Reinstated
Loadfactor in quick stats - Added
Age with decimal - Added
Aircraft Summary box - Linked to fleet
View aircraft not in fleet - Added
Homepage information on private worlds - Corrected
Confirm closure button on mass close route - Fixed
Private World game duration restriction - Corrected
Quantity of aircraft on order summary - Added
Display of base loadfactors constricted - Adjusted to be dynamic
Secondary heading sorted - Added 2 to View Aircraft and 1 to View Routes

Thats it for now.
Stephen Murphy

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: October 11, 2008, 05:58:44 pm
Some changes for today:

Daily until delivery - Reinstated
Loadfactor in quick stats - Added
Age with decimal - Added
Aircraft Summary box - Linked to fleet
View aircraft not in fleet - Added
Homepage information on private worlds - Corrected
Confirm closure button on mass close route - Fixed
Private World game duration restriction - Corrected
Quantity of aircraft on order summary - Added
Display of base loadfactors constricted - Adjusted to be dynamic
Secondary heading sorted - Added 2 to View Aircraft and 1 to View Routes

Thats it for now.
Stephen, you need to leave yourself a little bit of time for some golf now and then. Ever played Royal County Down?  8)

LSA

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: October 11, 2008, 06:03:52 pm
a big THANKS to stephen.. at this all my dreams are real now :D ( maybe i find other things next days  :P )

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: October 11, 2008, 06:35:13 pm
Stephen, you need to leave yourself a little bit of time for some golf now and then. Ever played Royal County Down?  8)

I guess you'd be the best person to listen to on that front!

Don't worry, progress will be back to a snail's pace next week. Weekends I get a clear run for a few hours.
Stephen Murphy

czhang

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Threshold Airlines news room @ Networld Alliance
Reply #89 on: October 12, 2008, 01:10:53 am
Thanks for adding the LF to quick stats and the edit/close route buttons. Just one thing - why do clicking the edit/close route buttons bring up a new window?

Threshold Airlines (XTX) - ID 9866
Smart Flying - Networld Alliance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk