keep small planes?

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 08:10:50 pm
Quote from: "Zero-G"
You also neglected to mention the LEASED planes require no Maintance cost on your part!

I "forgot" to mention many things. This was a simplification, to broadly make a point.

Like I forgot to mention that 5 planes will require more gates than 1... Like I forgot to mention an owned plane can always be sold...

Zero-G

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 08:58:17 pm
Ok,ok... Just meant as a larger ticket item MX, would be a good think to keep in mind as we all know it can add up..

Quote from: "mg35pt"
Quote from: "Zero-G"
You also neglected to mention the LEASED planes require no Maintance cost on your part!

I "forgot" to mention many things. This was a simplification, to broadly make a point.

Like I forgot to mention that 5 planes will require more gates than 1... Like I forgot to mention an owned plane can always be sold...

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 10:08:47 pm
Quote from: "LOT 737-300"
That's rather flawed logic, other than the fact that the airline who is leasing out the plane gets to pay for maint, sometimes you'll end up paying more in leasing than the plane is worth in the end.

Have to disagree. The point is not how much you pay for the lease but how much you get from it. Let me try to explain with an example:

Plane model X costs €2,500,000 and you can lease it for €500,000 per month (very expensive, but so be it). It brings €50,000 operational profit per day. Assuming you have the required €2.5M, you can either buy one single aircraft or lease 5 of them. At the end of the month, your single a/c made you €1.2M. Not bad. Had you leased 5 a/c instead, you'll have 5 x 24 x €50K = €6M. After paying the rent (5 x €0.5M = €2.5M), you would still be richer to the tone of €3.5M (6 - 2.5).

In this example, leasing (even at an very expensive rate) would have been by far the best choice.

Now, I don't claim this to be always the case. When you move to more expensive planes, economics sure start to change.

Quote from: "Viking_Air"
Yes is a really money maker... one of this is running at 183.000€ per day.... is it good?

How good that is depends where you're operating from. But I must say I have planes that cost 30x more than that bringing me less profit. So... yeah, it sounds good to me! :D

I still disagree a huge part, maybe the guys over in the larger areas that are not very swamped may be able to get a lot from it, I have seen airline who leased a huge fleet of 737s just go down quickly as they made the assumption that "hey, I operate the 737, I should earn a million right now" without realizing that they still have to pay off a lease, gate costs, crews (which I recall the airline who is leasing in still has to pay for), which still, if the airline leasing out is smart, should cover their maint costs and then some more, a nice rift in your own DOP. As for the maint rising part when you own? Again, I find that it pays off to make sure you keep your fleet up to date, not to mention that new planes get introduced that can make more, so it gives an incentive. Some aircraft (like the cheaper ones) are possibly worth leasing, but larger ones are definitely not worth it in my opinion. Operating from small markets, I can tell you that small market airlines have to own or else their profits would be considerably smaller than ones who own, unless that leasing airline has a good friend in the game, at which they could lease them in for a lower rate than the market ones typically are.

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 10:43:16 pm
I see what you mean but I think that's a slightly different problem.

Some planes - and the 737 is clearly at the top of this list - seem to have an irrational following among AM's player base. Heck, in W3 I decided to fly only european planes but ended up getting loads of 737s just to lease or sell at absurdly high prices.

That leasing may be, often enough, the best option will never mean that we can just about lease anything that flies or at any price and expect to make a profit from it. But then, same goes for buying, does it not? :wink:

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 11:11:05 pm

Some planes - and the 737 is clearly at the top of this list - seem to have an irrational following among AM's player base. Heck, in W3 I decided to fly only european planes but ended up getting loads of 737s just to lease or sell at absurdly high prices.

That leasing may be, often enough, the best option will never mean that we can just about lease anything that flies or at any price and expect to make a profit from it. But then, same goes for buying, does it not? :wink:

Add the caravelle to that list :D

Air Canada, LLC (Private W224)

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 02:52:40 am
Quote from: "yourefired"

Add the caravelle to that list :D

And the 732/732Adv.

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 03:15:04 am

It really depends, under the current scripts, if you buy an older plane (like 7-8 years old I would guess), it would costs you a whole lot more to keep it maintained than it would if it were brand new. Also, if you buy something that is too large or way too small for your base or the routes you want to do with them, the same will also happen, but that is based more off the plane's stats. I think a lot of the things that most airlines forget is that they're not very wise in their route selection, so they end up flying tons of aircraft that might be unfit for some of the routes they fly. Really, I see it as a 50/50 situation.

Yorkshair

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 01:09:51 am
So, in the game, does an aircraft's age actually affect the maintenance costs, because I have heard varied opinion.
orkshair International - Leeds Bradford's #1 Airline

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 02:18:42 am
From what I hear, the current version has age affecting the aircraft, so when shopping for ones on the used market, I think it'd be wise to avoid older machines for now. The aircraft page shows the aircraft's hours and cycles (take-offs and landings), but that is to be implemented with a future version of the script (because I think most everyone agrees here the current version is a bit kookie, especially for larger types which cost more, but can only make so much.)

Zero-G

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 02:40:16 am
YES YES YES... age only right now, near future it will be a mix of usage, cycles, hrs ect...

but now it increases by a factor of x by DAY.... so each month you'll see your MX costs creeping up.

Quote from: "Yorkshair"
So, in the game, does an aircraft's age actually affect the maintenance costs, because I have heard varied opinion.

Yorkshair

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 11:44:32 am
I wondered how i'd suddenly ended up with 94million mx costs!!!
orkshair International - Leeds Bradford's #1 Airline

Lord Voldemort

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 03:16:49 pm
Yeah, MX costs kill airlines...
Mine go up a few million a day...
Probably a lot more than that for Lusitana  :wink:

In case any of you don't know, Lusitana is the legendary AMer that's first in every world he's in, by a HUGE margin, like 90% higher. (Am I right that you joined W9 late?)

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 04:39:01 pm
I'm first in only one world. And no, I was not late for W9. :P

Lord Voldemort

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 04:57:10 pm
You were 1st in W7...

Fleur-de-Lis

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 07:55:41 pm
Quote from: "zenmen5"
I don't know if I shoulds keep my small planes or sell them,like my starting nord aircraft and such,well?

Too much of a general question for any meaningful answer.

Are you EuropeCONNECTION in World 9?

If so, I (or someone else) can likely give an answer based on your hub sizes, general competition, and the goals you have set for your airline.
Asylum Freight

ID: 11045

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk