Airline Mogul Forum

Replacing planes on routes worth it?

MattLeffler

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: July 16, 2008, 10:23:28 am
So I have I have like just under 2 years left in my game world and this has been my first try at AM.  Some general questions ... I have 3508 routes already plotted out.  At this point I can afford the nice bigger planes but havent really gotten too into replacing smaller jets like 737-200 Advs that I scheduled a long time ago.  Is it really worth the time and effort to redo these with the bigger planes?  I've just been extending and adding and adding rather than going back on old routes.  

I also ran some duplicate routes with different planes.  For instance i was gonna replace a fokker 6000 with a MD 83 but after doing the second schedule I found that I didnt really lower the profit of the first plane that i hadn't canceled yet.  ended up simply increasing my overall revenue.  anyone do this much?

I know mainteance costs can and are a bit annoying when you just keep adding and adding but it hasnt really slowed me too horribly down.  I'm in the top 10 of my current world in value and in the top 4 in passengers.  I dont know...just trying to figure out what to do when you have thousands of routes.  Till now I've just kept adding and not really replacing...just keeping the loadfactor up.  

Tips?
dderall Air
-Where the Speed is in the cockpit.

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:00:59 am
I think if you make a small test you may discover that replacing a 732 by a bigger plane does not bring a very noticeable increase in profits. Plus, you loose "seniority" in routes with competition.

True, by replacing an aircraft for a newer one there may be a lot to be saved in maintenance costs. However, this is assuming you can actually flog the old plane on the market at a reasonable price. Not very likely in mature worlds.

Not to mention how long and how much work it is to close routes and reopen them with new planes... :cry:

This is just a personal opinion but, for what it's worth, I simply do not bother to replace aircraft in routes where I'm already offering at least 70 seats. Instead, I prefer to put new planes to use on new routes.

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:29:19 am
That depends on the age of your 732Adv.

If its over 3 years old, you better scrap or sell it at lowest price in the market.
Replacement? What World youre in? It depends if there are planes @ 2300nm+ with 115+ pax.

Yup, you can duplicate routes but you'll loose a handful of  DOP  if someone enters your route.

Personally, I'll stop replacing larger (i.e. higher pax)  aircraft when I reach ~ 150 seater.

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

MattLeffler

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:08:20 pm
thanks for the heads up.  Its almost at the end of the game pretty much...but thinking of next time now (I'm in world 6) Ya...I guess I am gonna just keep trying to add and grow.  

In regards to growth ... I have all 7 of the hubs I can have.  they ended up being ...

Boston - 406 flights ....
Charlotte - 440 flights ...
Baltimore - 397 flights ...
Chicago Ohare - 700 flights
Houston Bush - 619
Tampa - 399
Washington Ronald Reagen - 412
Alliance Flights - 120 (only do the big stuff that isnt too crowded )

I pretty much fly to everything within 2000NM of each hub and then of course I 767-200ER it to whereever.  Kinda noticed the .5 flights on those routes seem the best.

I dont know I kinda feel like at this point y only options are the 767 flights ... lucky to get 2 of them that make about 300K together.

I also kinda noticed that my monthly profit pretty much is relatively unchanged from when I made 90 million DOP to 230 million I'm at now.  Like I'm just adding planes to add them and they are just covering themselves.  I know mainteance is a big issue and I've read the postings on it and such.  I guess I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here. :-)  And yeah I tried to sell 25 Fokker 6000's and they sat on the market for a pretty long time at 70% and were the newest ones in the market, so I guess I just wanted someone to tell me not to replace the jets.  

Its an interesting dynamic of a game.  :-)  Glad I found it.
dderall Air
-Where the Speed is in the cockpit.

Lord Voldemort

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:08:37 pm
Completely replacing old fleets might become a bit more reasonable with Hotswapping, but right now, and with the 3500 routes you have, I'm guessing trying to replace your 732 fleet will give you a headache.

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:11:16 pm
What I do is wait for a route to drop under 100% LF.  Instead of editing it, I just close it and put the new plane on it.  Takes out a lot of the hastle. :)

Seb_US Airways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 06:51:53 pm
I tend to do the same but only when it drops below 75% LF...

Sir Slasher1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 03:11:42 am
Just try and find a plane, thats relatively good. Example: world 10 has the bae Jetstream and KFC. Both have roughly 70 seats, the KFC has a range of 1600Nm and they are very good for replacing little planers. Eg, I am swapping all my planes over to Bae Jetstream, KFC's and just chucking my Boeing on my larger routes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk