Airline Mogul Forum

A330 question

SQ748 · 21 · 6107

SQ748

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: April 23, 2007, 02:22:30 am
I notice that the Airbus A330 has 440 seats and is larger than an A340.  How is this?

-SQ748
EO of Cathay Pacific.
Serving from:
KMG
KHH
TPE
XMN
SHA
HKG

ID:418

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:39:39 am
The A330-300 carries 295 passengers in a three-class cabin layout (335 in 2 class and 440 in single class) over a range of 10,500 km (5,650 nautical miles). It has a large cargo capacity, comparable to early Boeing 747s. Some airlines run overnight cargo-only flights after daytime passenger services.
(from wikipedia), whilst
The A340-300 flies 295 passengers in a typical three-class cabin layout over 6,700 nautical miles (12,400 km).
EO of Pacfic Blue, ID 302.
Senior Editor of AMM (Airline Mogul Magazine)
2nd Most Southerly Member in the game.
No longer an admin.

tomauer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Philippine Airlines Virtual
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:01:32 am
thats correct, In real life the airline's get to choose what seating configuration they want, and may re-fit them later on if neccesary.

Currently Cathay Pacific are refitting 10 of their A340-300's into a bi-class configuration, adding a LOT more seats for economy and business, they also have tri-class, Economy, Business and First class, of course this one doesnt have as much seating.

the choice depends on the airline, im guessing the reason behind AM's figures, is that is the average seating conifiguration for the worlds A340's.

same with A330's, you CAN get them in Full economy, but no airline i know of does that, simply because who wants to fly that cattle truck, no one would fly it again (except really cheap people)  :roll:

to answer this, It's up to the Airline on the seating configuration, and i believe future versions of AM (or AMO) will give you the choice of Seating Configurations.

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:09:01 am
As usual, it's in the planning.
No longer an admin.

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:09:39 pm
Quote from: "tomauer"

same with A330's, you CAN get them in Full economy, but no airline i know of does that, simply because who wants to fly that cattle truck, no one would fly it again (except really cheap people)  :roll:

Talk about single aisle A/C, and you've got EasyJet, SouthWest, and TED. They all fly the 'cattle trucks'.  Skybus is about to start.  Its not tough to believe that someone will eventually try it with widebodys and some longhaul routes.

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 05:54:17 pm
Aer Lingus have 176 seats in their A320's :)

I wanted to have seat customisation but I couldn't get anyone dedicated enough to do 3 seatmaps per plane, aswell as the issues of calculating the available seat pitch, toilets etc. Depends on what complexity goes into it. I'm sure I can add in these features of people wanted that kind of functionality but I would feel it should affect in some ways (Quite small) the loadfactors but the guy I generally get advice off doesn't agree with me on that front.

Any views?
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 11:55:04 pm
Quote from: "StephenM"
Aer Lingus have 176 seats in their A320's :)

I wanted to have seat customisation but I couldn't get anyone dedicated enough to do 3 seatmaps per plane, aswell as the issues of calculating the available seat pitch, toilets etc. Depends on what complexity goes into it. I'm sure I can add in these features of people wanted that kind of functionality but I would feel it should affect in some ways (Quite small) the loadfactors but the guy I generally get advice off doesn't agree with me on that front.

Any views?

I completely forgot one.......

Laker Airways and their SkyTrain.  Yep, before most of your times.  But they did Trans-Atlantic with the DC-10 in a high density single class configuration.

(Note to self: Don't fly Aer Lingus)

Anyone remember a PC game called Air Bucks(In the US).  You could customize your A/C for First, Econ or Cargo.  It was in blocks of 10% of the airplane.  But you could also set seperate class ticket prices.

Yes, config would have to affect load factors.  Some routes simply wouldn't have the higher priced traffic needed to fill extra First capacity.  How to program that?  I have no clue, I'm a manager by profession and not a programmer.

SQ748

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 01:01:58 am
You can customize cabins in Airline 6.  It's an expensive game though....
EO of Cathay Pacific.
Serving from:
KMG
KHH
TPE
XMN
SHA
HKG

ID:418

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 01:52:07 am
You can in Airline 4 (what I've got at home.)
No longer an admin.

andylawrence

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 02:25:07 am
yea i remember airbucks.  Its out there for free now.  I dont know if you could decompile it and find the code they used for lf or not, but it wouldnt be a bad idea.  yer right though it was 10% of the ac that you could set to first, coach, or cargo.  I liked how they delivered planes too.  They showed a graphic of a hanger and if you ordered 15 757s it showed a 757 being towed in and a message sayin it had been delivered.
img]http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinelogos/panambs.png[/img]
Airline ID 140

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 03:27:10 am
well, a loose model can be derived from the thoughts i sent you, simply place total seats and # classes as variables, modifying in some way the demands at higher levels of 'classes'. unfortunately they were incomplete thoughts that i sent you. and i'm still not positive on the feasibility of those ideas.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 04:31:51 am
Quote from: "SQ748"
You can customize cabins in Airline 6.  It's an expensive game though....

And not available in the US....(Can import if from AUS, but you get to add import tariffs on top of the $76 fee.

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 04:42:47 am
Looked up Laker Airways.

They operated a DC-10-10 in a single class  345 seat config.  McDonnell Douglas offered 380 seats in the 10-10 though(Uugh, that would have been an ugly ride.)

BTW, whoever programmed the MD-11 into the database...  Its McDonnell Douglas, not Mcdonnell Douglas.  I'm suprised the born and bred limey's here let that slip.  You needed one of damn Yankee Irish to point that little misstep out......

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 04:47:55 am
you must have missed the half of Swedish airports that are in Sweeden.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 07:24:32 am
Quote from: "CornField"
BTW, whoever programmed the MD-11 into the database...  Its McDonnell Douglas, not Mcdonnell Douglas.  I'm suprised the born and bred limey's here let that slip.  You needed one of damn Yankee Irish to point that little misstep out......

Oi! Whatcha you mad at me for? :lol:
I'll fix it within the hour.
No longer an admin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk