Airline Mogul Forum

Is Building a Terminal Really Worth It ???

Poll

Is Building a Terminal Worth IT

Yes
16 (51.6%)
No
6 (19.4%)
Only in Restricted Airports
9 (29%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: July 13, 2008, 06:09:33 am

Aerobat

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 07:23:30 am
My calculations are:

5 Gates (renting)
150,00 a gate

750,000 A month

5 Gate Terminal

19,884,750 Building Cost
112,500 A Gate

562,500 Monthly Gate Fee

I have 3 Hubs so:

59,654,250 Building Cost
112,500 A Gate
1,687,500 Monthly Gate Fee

Saving Of:

187,500 Per 5 Gates (Per Month)
562,500 Per 15 Gates (Per Month)

Sooooooo.....
The Total time taken for a terminal to really pay back its worth and start saving you over is.....

106 AM months

But.... this doesnt mean that terminals are useless because why not spend that 60 million that you have lying around to overall saving you money in the long run and increasing your MOP  :D  :D .

Hope this helps if you need me to do some calculations on another number of gates just say and ill be happy 2  :D

SkinnyRabbit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 03:43:13 pm
It doesn't matter if it takes 106 months to get the money back, a terminal just allows you to expand further beyond the 25 gate maximum. Also take into the account that your DOP will be higher.

@ Zero-G, The reason they have more than 25 gates is because they have added a terminal and you build gates with it. There are 2 types of gates:
Rented,
Built.

Because they are both still gates they fall under the same category and they add up a total. So at Frankfurt he would have 25 Rented gates, and 35 built gates with his terminal = 60 gates. Although he can return his gates if he wanted too making more built then rented and etc. But it doesn't matter if he did or didn't.

Lord Voldemort

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 03:43:17 pm
Well, if you're a huge airline, renting like 20 gates at each of your bases, i imagine it would pay off quicker...

Zero-G

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 05:54:05 pm
NICE I get it.... Can you Build say 25 gates and RETURN all the rented ones, since the built ones are cheaper?

Quote from: "SkinnyRabbit"
It doesn't matter if it takes 106 months to get the money back, a terminal just allows you to expand further beyond the 25 gate maximum. Also take into the account that your DOP will be higher.

@ Zero-G, The reason they have more than 25 gates is because they have added a terminal and you build gates with it. There are 2 types of gates:
Rented,
Built.

Because they are both still gates they fall under the same category and they add up a total. So at Frankfurt he would have 25 Rented gates, and 35 built gates with his terminal = 60 gates. Although he can return his gates if he wanted too making more built then rented and etc. But it doesn't matter if he did or didn't.

Aerobat

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 03:28:40 am
From  what ive heard As soon as you build the terminal all your rented gates are moved to your terminal IF

E.g If you rent 25 gates at Frankfurt then build a terminal of 20 gates. Then those 25 rented would turn into 5 and the rest would fill up your terminal

Zero-G

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 05:41:59 am
Hmmm,,,,  anyone in design and programming is that true???  then why are we not just building them and bring down my monthly costs?

Quote from: "Aerobat"
From  what ive heard As soon as you build the terminal all your rented gates are moved to your terminal IF

E.g If you rent 25 gates at Frankfurt then build a terminal of 20 gates. Then those 25 rented would turn into 5 and the rest would fill up your terminal

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37:42 am
I had not heard anything like this, perhaps thing really did change in the game's logic since I last played (I wish I had a list of things I could read that changed since the first half of that 1970s round from earlier this year). The way I had understood is once you build the gates, the ones you are currently renting I recall are returned to the airport and the ones you build are the ones you keep.

Hmmm,,,, anyone in design and programming is that true??? then why are we not just building them and bring down my monthly costs?

Because, building a terminal is very expensive, and to add, you have to put in money for each gate. They really are effective though if you're short on gates or if you're at that 25 gate limit though.

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 06:40:21 am
Also, Once you've built a termainal, you can't rent gate in that specific airport. It often causes trouble (for me).

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 06:59:54 am
Quote from: "Aerobat"

Totally untrue.

When you build gates, 10% of your rented gates will be returned at that instant. That is, if you build 20 gates, 2 gates will be returned.
Then you will have
23 rented + 20 built = 43 gates.

Your flights will be moved to your built gates and the rented gates will be treated as empty/unused gates.
That is...
used = 20 bulit gate + 5 rented gates
idle = 18 rented gates

Those idle gates would be treated like any other unused rented gates. They will be returned at the second month change (starting from the time it is idle) if they are left idle. You have the time in between to fill them with flights.

Quote from: "Zero-G"
NICE I get it.... Can you Build say 25 gates and RETURN all the rented ones, since the built ones are cheaper?

Yes, you could, because all your flights will be moved to the built gates first. You could just return the gates as usual. Bear in mind that you would not be able to re-rent them though.

Btw, I have to say something about this.... could you guys put the quote on top, then your answer? Thanks.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 07:07:05 am
Comeon, Im just lazy to do so...

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

dktc

• Administrator