Airline Mogul Forum

When will a long-haul with huge plane will actually work?

karnc · 18 · 4269

karnc

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
I've started here for about a month already (since May). Got one question... Is there any reason why flying longhaul in this game shouldn't be profitable?, pls explain. Actually, longhaul flight can never cover up the cost it incurred. I believe may be there could be some modification on this? because i think pax mentality shouldn't be on price only. Flying from NY to Narita cost you only five times a local 200 nm routes...  

Otherwise, SE 10B will still rule the world forever, and other planes' stats were just there for historical purpose.

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:10:04 am
I'll admit AM deviates from the "Real World" in this regard, as indeed longhaul is not so profitable. However, who said longhaul is not profitable?! It is! :roll:

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:30:25 am
As part of the maintenance overhaul, maintenance on aircraft that are placed on long routes will be less than those on short routes. That will create a small counter balance. (When implemented)
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

karnc

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:31:54 am
: )

You mean overall profitable? I just doubt it can cover the maintenance cost. If you're leasing the plane, ok. Otherwise, I do believe mt. cost far overshoot the earning. Correct me if I'm wrong, just a newcomer here... : ) , Anyway, a great game it is.

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 09:46:51 am
Quote from: "mg35pt"
I'll admit AM deviates from the "Real World" in this regard, as indeed longhaul is not so profitable. However, who said longhaul is not profitable?! It is! :roll:

It is when only a short-haul route compared to long-haul route.
However, when you compared a short-haul plane (like SE10B) to a long-haul plane, like B-742 (which needs 719k :shock:  for a balance between maint. cost and DOP) or a IL-62 (which can only generate something like 300k/400k at most :cry: , while a 10B can easily giving you 700k profit :shock: )

The basic reason why long-haul aren't as profitable as short-haul is lack of maint. and ticket difference between them. :cry:

The same reason why most people in W3 use Tu-114D for their long-haul route. It is cheap, which means less maint. cost ; it has a long range, able to reach distant airports ; it is fast, able to fly 1 frequency for a long-haul / medium-haul.

In fact, maintainence overhaul will only overkill short-haul planes like Dassault Mercures, so I think once they are implemented, the price script of planes should neglect range or not as important as now is.

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

zkvac

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • granturismoworld.piczo.com
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 10:18:46 am
All that needs fixing is the Long Haul ticket price needs to be raised- I was flying lots of Europe - Australasia routes with 767-300ERs with stopovers in different Asian cities, and one leg (Europe-Asia) was only like €500! IRL Economy would be at least €1000 wouldn't it?
Public World #2119 - VincentAir (Australasia)

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:21:46 am
Quote from: "karnc"
You mean overall profitable? I just doubt it can cover the maintenance cost. If you're leasing the plane, ok. Otherwise, I do believe mt. cost far overshoot the earning. Correct me if I'm wrong, just a newcomer here... : ) , Anyway, a great game it is.

For a newcomer, you seem to have already understood what many, more seasoned players, don't... :D

Yes, I mean overall profitable. But you didn't qualify your question, so neither did I qualify my answer.

It is profitable for a very narrow range of planes (unlike IRL) and between (or from) a few select airports (like IRL).

In Real Life (IRL) you can have 747's going hourly between LHR and JFK and make a tidy profit. In AM, you can't. IRL you wouldn't dream of having direct flights between Pukatawagan (Canada, 2,410 pax) and LHR. In AM, some players get away with that. So, yes, AM diverges from reality in this respect, but maybe not as much as it may seem.

That's not to say I wouldn't want things to change. Stephen's work on maintenance overhaul certainly means good news coming our way. Maybe route pricing (along with LF determination) should also be given a look over.

Oh, and touching a little on Cheung's comments, you may yet discover that AM tends to get a little bit more realistic as worlds age. :wink:

Think about this: if LH and big planes are so great, then why so many (RL) starter airlines go with 737's or even ATR's on regional routes? On the other hand, as the game progresses, you will see short hops loosing appeal very, very fast. Longhaul remains mostly stable.

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 11:07:41 am
It really depends, as far as I know (I'm not sure) Brisbane - HND is already a hopeless route, when my Dassault Mercures are giving me an good old 1m DOP  :D

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

sam051

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 02:38:05 am
Quote from: "zkvac"
All that needs fixing is the Long Haul ticket price needs to be raised- I was flying lots of Europe - Australasia routes with 767-300ERs with stopovers in different Asian cities, and one leg (Europe-Asia) was only like €500! IRL Economy would be at least €1000 wouldn't it?

Depends who you fly with.

Qantas has tickets for over $3,000 return!
Air France has tickets for over $2,000 Return
British Airways is the same as Air France

But then it would be hard because they use different pricing for different days, times of year, etc...

And not to mention that airline legacy of how almost everyone pays a different price even though they are in the exact same seat. Meh how else would they make money.

I definetely aggree AM does go away from reality a little but you know it still is a great game!

Thorin

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 01:36:58 pm
Somebody knows how much a DC-10-40 needs, in terms of DOP, to be profitable?

hg42

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 01:47:45 pm
Going by what I'd estimated on a bunch of aircraft, about 200000/day, although that'll obviously increase as the aircraft ages (and will probably provide you a profit margin of sorts to begin with)

Thorin

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 01:51:56 pm
Quote from: "hg42"
Going by what I'd estimated on a bunch of aircraft, about 200000/day, although that'll obviously increase as the aircraft ages (and will probably provide you a profit margin of sorts to begin with)

Do you think that a DOP of 522k on a DC-10-40 is good? And one of 404k?

Wizzie

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:53:19 pm
Quote from: "Thorin"

How do you get those numbers on a DC10?
And I thought 850k with an F28-4000 was good that is just a great number considering the aircraft. Well done
(Now PM me the secret formula  :lol: )
MelAir (MLA)
ID: 11730
Flying you there in luxury
Official member of the unofficial "I need help" club

Thorin

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:59:02 pm
Quote from: "Wizzie"
Quote from: "Thorin"

How do you get those numbers on a DC10?
And I thought 850k with an F28-4000 was good that is just a great number considering the aircraft. Well done
(Now PM me the secret formula  :lol: )

Well, they're not so high, considering that the F28-4000 has 85 seats and the DC10 270 seats and it's a long-haul planes. But I know that in AM long-range is not that profitable.

kccl35

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 02:34:20 pm
what is the profit margin of B743? I'd like to know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk