Airline Mogul Forum

Where to put focus cities?

coolfish1103

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: June 17, 2008, 07:04:46 pm
We all know there are different costs for the gates to each city, and it's determined by the passengers.  For all experienced players who have played this game for a while, how much difference do you feel when you build a focus city in a populated area (300,000) in comparison to a less population dense area (100,000)?  Since there's always so much competition in those famous 250,000+ gates, do you guys think it's better to stick with it and compete, or go for a lower population city and work your focus city there?

Also, for foreign focus cities, do you prefer to connect them to your base or work them on another side?

Comments appreciated.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:22:16 pm
Depends on your goals.

Do you want to become the largest airline in the world - or at least in your region? Then go for all of the largest airports. Do some research first, and see how many large and active airlines are already occupying them. Gates rented, flights out of the city, total passenger percentage, are easily seen from the view gate menu. If you are located in North America, Europe, or Asia, there is no need for foreign hubs, as it decreases the total amount of potential flights you can have.

If you have lesser goals, then just go with how you feel you'd like your airline to achieve.
Asylum Freight

ID: 11045

Dominator

• Airline Operative
  • GOLD Airlines CEO
    • View Profile
    • GOLD Airlines Stats
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:19:23 pm
Well if you hate updating your routes every 5 minutes, then I recommend taking the time and looking for a city with little competition. But be careful some one might join that hub as well and then you got competition. Happened to me. If you can get routes up quickly and don't mind competition, go ahead and base out of LHR or ATL. But Never base out of an airport with less then 10 million pax.

Sheep Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:00:43 pm
The main advantage of the big airports is that you can fly to the little tiny airports and still make a decent return - and it's possible you might be sharing the route only with 2-3 others. The main disadvantage is the competition and the route adjustments - although that's not so bad in multiworlds.

I'm playing one world where I'm flying out of some of  the biggest airports, and one world where I'm playing just to have fun, so am taking it much more slowly and playing out of a small regional airport, on a continent that I haven't ever played on, and my goals are much lower. It really depends on what you want to do with the game - if you want to dominate, then you have to go the big airport route. If you have different reasons for playing, then the smaller airports provide an entirely different kind of challenge!

coolfish1103

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:43:32 am
I was thinking of basing in smaller airports with gate fees either 50,000 or 100,000 (leaning towards 100,000), and then fly only to major cities with gate fees 150,000 or higher) and cities I already have gates to so I can utilize the gates to the most profitable situation.  I am unsure how many competitors in any one region will affect the profits in the region and I do not know when will that be a cause for us to drop to the next set profitable gates (from 250,000 to 200,000 ones).  If the suggested number is 10 million passengers, that simply rules out all airports with gate fees less than 200,000, which does not leave enough airports unless we want mass competition...  as there are only 28 cities in Asia that have more than 10 million passengers.  It should be based on population in the city and not just the gate costs, right?

I was thinking about creating 1 or 2 foreign focus cities as they do take away a big chunk of the routes that can be served... and I think there's a need to play more than just a continent you own to see what's going on in the other side of the world.

MvH

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:53:54 pm
Quote from: "coolfish1103"
I was thinking of basing in smaller airports with gate fees either 50,000 or 100,000 (leaning towards 100,000), and then fly only to major cities with gate fees 150,000 or higher)

I'm doing it the opposite way. I've got 2 bases on 250k airports in Europe, and only fly to 50k and 100k airports. Ok, you won't become the largest airline, but you've got less competition. And you still make a lot of money  :wink:

Dominator

• Airline Operative
  • GOLD Airlines CEO
    • View Profile
    • GOLD Airlines Stats
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 07:23:46 pm
And also, make bases near your original base, so you can use your existing cities and fly to them without wasting money on gate fee's.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk