Airline Mogul Forum

Lease or Buy

Obmit · 15 · 2560

Obmit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: June 10, 2008, 07:49:51 am
Is it better to lease an aircraft or to buy one?
Skywest PW1217

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:59:55 am
If you have a high maint. cost, its better to lease one (the prerequisite is you saw a cheap lease in the public market) :lol:

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

Wizzie

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:29:40 am
Depends what world
W8: not worth it
W6: go for it
W3: Best market there
W5: Depends
W7: no idea
W8 and W5 is recommended to buy rather than lease
Cheap planes (under 40 mill value) are usually undercharged in monthly leasing terms while over 40 mill is overcharged.
One last piece of advise

Whatever you do DON'T lease in a B747 or a supersonic jet as they are the 2 biggest loss makers in AM (I found out the hard way when I went into deep debt in W6 after leasing in a B747-300)[/b]
MelAir (MLA)
ID: 11730
Flying you there in luxury
Official member of the unofficial "I need help" club

Obmit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:33:20 am
Thanks to both of you-advice taken-probably will buy (in W8)
Again, thankyou
Skywest PW1217

IceTrojan

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:18:16 am
It doesn't matter what world you're in, leasing is a good way to jumpstart your ops.  Why sit around for 24 hours for a new plane to come when you can lease a plane and make a profit over those 24 hours vs. having dead time.

I'm actually confused at the statement that leasing in W8 specifically is a bad idea.

EDIT:  I had to check... what's funny is that Wizzie there is leasing in 2 aircraft for his operations with no aircraft on order.  Hmm....
img]http://airlinemogul.com/airlinelogos/8693.png[/img]

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Welcome Aboard Virgin America
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:40:46 am
The question was is it good to lease a plane in his fleet or just buy a plane into his fleet. Just to point out IceTrojan, not to be harsh or anything

Wizzie

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:16:46 am
Quote from: "IceTrojan"
It doesn't matter what world you're in, leasing is a good way to jumpstart your ops.  Why sit around for 24 hours for a new plane to come when you can lease a plane and make a profit over those 24 hours vs. having dead time.

I'm actually confused at the statement that leasing in W8 specifically is a bad idea.

EDIT:  I had to check... what's funny is that Wizzie there is leasing in 2 aircraft for his operations with no aircraft on order.  Hmm....

To make a long story short:
Guy read post and tried to prove me wrong (and succeded to some extent) still it's not a great market in W8.
The market will come alive next game year though
MelAir (MLA)

SkinnyRabbit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:15:25 pm
It sure will!!!!

Gaius

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:42:17 pm
I had this issue when starting the game,

Through trial and error, I found out its BEST to lease aircrafts for props since they have low fuel cost but has the possibility of high profit to pay off your lease, their leases are usually not high as well which helps.

Jet airliners are now a no-no for me to lease since the leases are high and they can still earn the same as a ATR prop aircraft in some cases. I always buy jet aircrafts and leave the props to lease.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:05:16 pm
With the way operating costs are now calculated, leasing is a good way to go.
However, many people don't have a clue as to these costs, that's why you'll find wildly differing rates on the market.
Read the maintenance thread in this forum, for more information.

If you're in World #3, just contact me, and I'll tell you what's a good deal - or not.
Asylum Freight

ID: 11045

Wizzie

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:19:40 pm
Quote from: "Gaius"
I had this issue when starting the game,

Through trial and error, I found out its BEST to lease aircrafts for props since they have low fuel cost but has the possibility of high profit to pay off your lease, their leases are usually not high as well which helps.

Jet airliners are now a no-no for me to lease since the leases are high and they can still earn the same as a ATR prop aircraft in some cases. I always buy jet aircrafts and leave the props to lease.

Fokker F28s are also a very good aircraft to lease in. They are usually undervalued and can make around 600k a day if used well
MelAir (MLA)

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 05:57:02 am
If you are talking about good planes, I swear that the BEST plane is SE 210 Caravelle Super 10B :wink:

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 09:01:56 am
Quote from: "Cheung Airlines"
If you are talking about good planes, I swear that the BEST plane is SE 210 Caravelle Super 10B :wink:

I prefer the 737 over the SE any day.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 10:24:50 am
I found that in World 6 I am making profit with my 10 $12.5 million leases on Concordes. Admittedly, around 80% of the money I make is being spent on the leases, but I still make a decent amount for myself.

ComfyAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 03:52:57 am
I quickly built my airline from scratch in w3 by leasig usually aircrafts under about 50 million value.
that was quickest way to expand. However once i reached higher DOP's i could easily buy more planes...

however as u have more planes maintaining ur routes becomes difficult and competition will bring down
ur loadfactors from 100 to 80%. In that case if u have heavily leased fleet u have
to keep tab on ur finances. else u will have no idea when u r loosing money on an aircraft.

Just the fact:

I am making $200 million a day on revenue excess of $500 million with heavily leased fleet.
another wrld I am making $100 million a day on $140 million revenue on all owned fleet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk