Airline Mogul Forum

FSX - My computer upgrade.

killian320

• Airline Operative
  • Killiarney :P
    • View Profile
on: May 25, 2008, 04:38:00 pm
Hey all, I'm upgrading my 6 year old Philips into a gaming masterpiece over the next 2 weeks.

My question to you is - What Motherboard, Graphics card, processor etc. do you recommend to run games, such as FSX? I'm looking at a a Fatal1ty motherboard, but I'm not so sure on the compatibilty with graphics cards.

Anyone suggest a motherboard etc.?

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 04:41:16 pm
About the processor, Core 2 Duo is already enough. FSX seldom uses the 3rd one and the 4th one.

------

killian320

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 06:11:05 pm
Quote from: "jameswyhk"
About the processor, Core 2 Duo is already enough. FSX seldom uses the 3rd one and the 4th one.

Ok, thats in the basket :)

Still need some suggestions on the Compatibility between motherboard and graphics card please!

Pavel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:59:31 pm
Well, if its a new motherboard, it will run PCI Express graphics cards, most of new gfx cards now manufactured use pci express. Get a program called "Everest". It will give you every spec of detail running on your machine.
Pavel

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:17:48 pm
Quote from: "iranair777"
*decides to clean up computer and install FSX  :twisted: *

I am going to do the same thing as yours after the exam.(17th June)
*Saving money to buy FSX* 8)

Oh...
I don't really understand what is the function of the Acceleration Expansion Pack?
Also, is it really worth a few hundred bucks more to purchase the deluxe version+Acceleration Expansion Pack  ?

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:17:29 pm
I think they give you more planes, missions, races etc.

edidiot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:45:02 pm
Acceleration isn't really worth it in my opinion. As CHR says you only get a handful of extra planes/missions and none of them are that good unless your really into the red bull air race thing. I'd just get the Deluxe FSX (that gives you alot more than the regular one and is not that much more) and use your acceleration money to get a really good add on like the Level D-767 or Flight 1 Super 80

Make sure you've got a mighty system however as FSX seems to be capable of bringing almost anything to it's knees!

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 02:55:01 pm
PMDG is very good too. They are releasing MD-11 in a month I guess.

------

Pavel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 04:48:01 pm
X-plane is way better than FSX.
Pavel

edidiot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 06:11:40 pm
I have both, X-Plane feels more realistic to me (I've only flown small singles in real life mind). Graphically I think X-Plane 9 looks better than FSX also (FSX feels very cartoony even though it's more advanced). However I rarely play X-Plane as it dosent have any really good heavy metal simulations like FSX. The XPFW 757 looks great but lags behind on systems modeling. Also when you fly on IVAO/VATSIM with X-Plane the other traffic looks awful and floats above the ground/taxis on the grass due to the different airport data used (although X-Planes is generally more accurate, but try convincing the FS hordes of that!)

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:27:54 pm
Quote from: "new-at-flying"
X-plane is way better than FSX.

X-Plane 9 is better than FSX.

------

neoncircles

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 11:19:56 am
Graphics card wise you'll need an 8800gts at the very least..... Are you changing your motherboard? in fact if you're getting a recent GFX card you'll probably need a new PSU also  :lol:

killian320

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 03:17:35 pm
Quote from: "neoncircles"
Graphics card wise you'll need an 8800gts at the very least..... Are you changing your motherboard? in fact if you're getting a recent GFX card you'll probably need a new PSU also  :lol:

Well actually, I'll probably order

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343655

with

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334590

Jacko-Smitha

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 03:34:57 am
well a 8800 graphic cards works great with FSX and there prices have dropped massively i can get one know for 200! (Australian)
otherwise my 8600 GTX works well i can run it high with additional over clocking it works almost as a basic 8800, for a motherboard i recommend gigabyte P-38 with Dual SLI slots
it's also rather cost effective
hope it helps

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk