Airline Mogul Forum

Maintenance Cost

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: May 29, 2008, 02:14:21 am
i am working at easing these costs down, at this point a sudden and dramatic drop in maintenance costs may be overly counterproductive to measures taken to slow the game down.

sorry if progress is slow and things look bleak on that front.

oh, and to the people referencing the fuel crunch, that's a relatively recent issue.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: May 29, 2008, 07:48:28 am
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
i am working at easing these costs down, at this point a sudden and dramatic drop in maintenance costs may be overly counterproductive to measures taken to slow the game down.

sorry if progress is slow and things look bleak on that front.

oh, and to the people referencing the fuel crunch, that's a relatively recent issue.

I know that the high MX is good for the balancing. But I came back after probably 2 weeks of not playing the game and found my MX costs to have risen quite a bit. Probably you should tie the basic maintenance (for a brand new plane) to the fuel costs it produces? You could raise the fuel costs to keep the income at bay...
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

Tomb

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: May 29, 2008, 12:09:49 pm
i dont mind the maint cost so much as its made an uninteresting game more interesting, however its now bordering on the unmanageable... one hopes in the fullness of time the game will become both more manageable and more interesting

myavia

• Airline Operative
  • fly. in style.
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: May 29, 2008, 12:27:01 pm
yeah the maintenance cost accounts for 50% of my total costs,
so easily 25% of my total revenue will go to maintenance..

i guess i'd stop buying planes for a while, and get some leased ones..just to get the right balance.
 :D

myavia - fly.in style.
id: 12041

Triple_7

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: June 01, 2008, 07:35:11 am
Fees out of whack again :shock:   Added one aircraft type (7 currently in service) to my fleet and suddenly my maintenance fees shot up an extra 200 million :shock:  I lost nearly 1/4 of my monthly income in one night :?
ast Real Flight...Taiwan 2006...July 30th Through August 19th...FWA-DFW-LAX-TPE.....TPE-LAX-ORD-FWA.

bryce82

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: June 12, 2008, 09:07:25 pm
I was profiting around 650mil a game month (450mil a game month maint Fees), I went and bought 30 747-200 to do transatlantic flights and maint fees skyrocketed more than 100%, currently my maint fees are over $1billion thats works out to $550mil increase for 30 747-200s. $18,333,333 per plane... so i went from making a profit of $650mil a day to trying to sell these 747s and turning the red... losing $200mil a day now. Thats RIDICULOUS. If i scrap all my 747s my airline value will drop about $10bil.

So here's my question, if the planes are not being used and are ust sitting in the aircraft market for sale, do they actually cost anything in maintenance?

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: June 12, 2008, 09:19:24 pm
Quote from: "bryce82"

So here's my question, if the planes are not being used and are ust sitting in the aircraft market for sale, do they actually cost anything in maintenance?

Any plane with an "In Service" (or "Leased Out" or "For Sale") status will incur a maintenance fee, regardless if it's flying 0 or 100 routes.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

fenati2

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: June 13, 2008, 02:33:31 am
I still dont know if comonality affects the mantainance costs.

If i work only 737-300 will my costs be lower than if i operate 737-300 and A320's for example?

what about operating different versions of planes. like 767-200/ER/300?
enair - Connecting Europe Smartly

Mega Ark

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: June 13, 2008, 02:35:19 am
Quote from: "Tomb"
whats needed is under aircraft info next to profit is its maint cost so you can judge which planes are unecomnomic on which routes

since profit is misleading and is not profit at all unless costs are taken out and maint is a cost

This is a positive suggestion that I support and should be relatively simple to implement.  It is critical for proper fleet and route management.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: June 13, 2008, 04:49:12 am
Under present format, commonality has no bearing.  The database does not always have the clearest way to know that there's high commonality between 767-200s with Engines A and B, as well as with the 767-200ER.  it'll either misfire and pull in uncommon elements (such as code-mistaking 737-3's and 7X7-3's as being common) or it'll miss elements that it shouldn't.

Stephen is, last I knew, tinkering with the formulaic basis for a revamp to maintenance.  This will incorporate some fleet commonality levels (i.e. lighter Boeing or Airbus wide commonality discounts) as well as an implementation of cycles/etc.  

We're hoping to better implement some way to tell the database which are which in terms of fleet commonality, however at the moment we're planning for possibilities without this piece of extra information.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: June 13, 2008, 10:37:20 am
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
Under present format, commonality has no bearing.  The database does not always have the clearest way to know that there's high commonality between 767-200s with Engines A and B, as well as with the 767-200ER.  it'll either misfire and pull in uncommon elements (such as code-mistaking 737-3's and 7X7-3's as being common) or it'll miss elements that it shouldn't.

Stephen is, last I knew, tinkering with the formulaic basis for a revamp to maintenance.  This will incorporate some fleet commonality levels (i.e. lighter Boeing or Airbus wide commonality discounts) as well as an implementation of cycles/etc.  

We're hoping to better implement some way to tell the database which are which in terms of fleet commonality, however at the moment we're planning for possibilities without this piece of extra information.

May be this formula can also reduce the staff needed for training and therefore reduce the staff cost.

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: June 13, 2008, 10:45:12 am
The staff element of maintenance has already been added. This is direct staff, training I assume you mean to be training of engineers/mechanics?
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: June 13, 2008, 02:17:53 pm
Hmmm....
Yes, maybe....

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

Kerdmass

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: July 08, 2008, 03:40:10 pm
Ok, now this is just getting silly.

W6

~30 763ERs arrive, taking the place of almost my entire 747 fleet (other than ones with routes > than max 763ER range); with leftovers replacing 762ERs on long routes.

Then, the 762ERs open new routes

Used 747s placed on sale block, some sell, some havent.

Code: [Select]

1/10/1988 Monthly Maintenance Fees €0 €5,339,153,611
1/11/1988 Monthly Maintenance Fees €0 €5,663,297,432

Only a few other planes gained a year.

I have a very hard time believing that each plane adds ~11m in maintainance per month.

Even accounting for a large number of current planes aging; an additional ~11m per brand new plane is outrageous.  And this isnt the first time this game month where i've had a >200m monthly maintainance jump after adding planes.

SkinnyRabbit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:52 pm
Quote from: "Kerdmass"
Ok, now this is just getting silly.

W6

~30 763ERs arrive, taking the place of almost my entire 747 fleet (other than ones with routes > than max 763ER range); with leftovers replacing 762ERs on long routes.

Then, the 762ERs open new routes

Used 747s placed on sale block, some sell, some havent.

Code: [Select]

1/10/1988 Monthly Maintenance Fees €0 €5,339,153,611
1/11/1988 Monthly Maintenance Fees €0 €5,663,297,432

Only a few other planes gained a year.

I have a very hard time believing that each plane adds ~11m in maintainance per month.

Even accounting for a large number of current planes aging; an additional ~11m per brand new plane is outrageous.  And this isnt the first time this game month where i've had a >200m monthly maintainance jump after adding planes.

Thats why you stick with cheaper but high quality planes to fly with.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk