Airline Mogul Forum

Airports in Russia

Daniel-alanova

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: April 17, 2008, 01:14:21 pm
I don't know, if anyone already suggested it, but there are a couple of airports in Russia, that should change their names.
They are currently listed under the village they are located, when they would better be listed as the major city they are serving.
Some examples:
Pulkovo-2 should be St. Petersburg
Tolmachevo should be Novosibirsk
Khrabrovo should be Kaliningrad
Koltsovo should be Yekaterinburg
Talagi should be Arkhangelsk

Currently, it would be like listing Vienna (VIE) as Schwechat. I suppose, this is not limited to these examples, and not limited to Russia. Let me know, if I should do some basic research on that.

Also, two airports in Poland have special characters, that mess up in my browser with unreadable signs. Better change them to "normal" letters:
Lodz and Poznan

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:16:14 pm
Quote from: "Daniel-alanova"
I don't know, if anyone already suggested it, but there are a couple of airports in Russia, that should change their names.
They are currently listed under the village they are located, when they would better be listed as the major city they are serving.
Some examples:
Pulkovo-2 should be St. Petersburg
Tolmachevo should be Novosibirsk
Khrabrovo should be Kaliningrad
Koltsovo should be Yekaterinburg
Talagi should be Arkhangelsk

Currently, it would be like listing Vienna (VIE) as Schwechat. I suppose, this is not limited to these examples, and not limited to Russia. Let me know, if I should do some basic research on that.

Also, two airports in Poland have special characters, that mess up in my browser with unreadable signs. Better change them to "normal" letters:
Lodz and Poznan

AFAIK the name of the airport itself is Tolmachevo, right? The official name of VIE is "Vienna International Airport" (see various pictures from the airport containing the letters "VIA" on assets) <- no Schwechat :wink:

As for the special characters, hm, need to think about it.  :roll:
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

Daniel-alanova

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 02:47:46 pm
The official name of the Airport in Vienna is Flughafen Wien Schwechat (in german) or Vienna International Airport (in english), both versions are official.

You are right, Tolmachevo is the official name, not Novosibirsk. Novosibirsk is not shown on the aireport's website, either

Although, Koltsovo is referred to as "Ekaterinburg-Koltsovo" on the website. And Pulkovo is also named as Sankt Peterburg-Pulkovo.

But of corse, it can be argued, which name has priority over the other. My suggestion was to name the airports after the major city, and maybe include the local name when necessary. But going after official naming is fine, too.

By the way, when going for official names: The Airport Weeze in Germany is not supposed to be named as "Düsseldorf (Weeze)". Although Ryanair and other LCC name the airport after Düsseldorf, there was a court rule that disallowed it. Compare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_Weeze
I know... wikipedia is not a reliable source, but still...

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:22:27 pm
The official name of the Airport in Vienna is Flughafen Wien Schwechat (in german) or Vienna International Airport (in english), both versions are official.

Think global :wink: Anyway, for the moment we will leave the names as I am currently busy with updating pax/cargo data (players here cry more for those data than for the correct names :roll: ). When I finished the biggest part of it I will think about the names.

By the way, when going for official names: The Airport Weeze in Germany is not supposed to be named as "Düsseldorf (Weeze)". Although Ryanair and other LCC name the airport after Düsseldorf, there was a court rule that disallowed it. Compare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_Weeze
I know... wikipedia is not a reliable source, but still...

I know. Unfortunatly due to name and code changes this airport made it twice into the game (see NRN and LRC). But when a game is running we cannot delete airports right now.

BTW: I am german and I used to fly to Vienna many times. :wink: And for the LCC airport names: Isn't the airport Girona about 100km away from Barcelona? Calling it "Barcelona" would be the same as calling Bremen Airport as Hanover-2 (or the other way round) :lol:

Daniel-alanova

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 09:40:12 am
There are many examples of Airports, that name themselves after cities that are really far away:
Milano Bergamo for example - about 80 km

Low Cost Carriers do the same. SkyEurope or Ryanair call Bratislava Airport "Vienna (Bratislava)", which is really strange.
Although it is only 70 km from Vienna, it is pretty unfair to name it this way, as it is the major Airport of Slovakia and serves the capital of an independend country. Making Bratislava an annex of Vienna is really a weird thing.

But of corse, the name of the airports are cosmetic, and for the game play of only minor importance.

At the moment, there is one airport under construction near C.Budejovice, Czech republic. And many military airfields in Russia opened just recently or will open soon for commercial aviation. This might be another topic, though.
At the moment, I am working on a project about airports, therefore I do a lot of research on this topic - this is also how I found this game "by mistake". It is kinda difficult to find official PAX-data for eastern european countries, but there are several airports in european Russia that have at least a few scheduled flights a week and that are not in the database: Pskov, Veliki Novgorod, Petrozavodsk, Tver, Rzhev, Solovetskiy Island, just to mention a few.
If I find something, I will post it.

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 05:40:31 pm
SkyEurope or Ryanair call Bratislava Airport "Vienna (Bratislava)", which is really strange. Although it is only 70 km from Vienna, it is pretty unfair to name it this way, as it is the major Airport of Slovakia and serves the capital of an independend country. Making Bratislava an annex of Vienna is really a weird thing.

So true :lol: I used to drive from Vienna to Bratislava by car. It's just an hour ride.

At the moment, there is one airport under construction near C.Budejovice, Czech republic.

There are some others: The new "Don Quijote Airport" (LEDQ; also referred as Ciudad Real Airport) will start operations this summer. (EDIT: Just saw on their homepage it is now named Cuidad Real Madrid Sur. Madrid is about 220 kms by car :roll: ). Also a new airport is under construction near Dakar (see FRAPORT homepage).

And many military airfields in Russia opened just recently or will open soon for commercial aviation. This might be another topic, though.

Happened here in Germany, too. Last one I remember is the former Memmingen Air Base - now Allgäu Airport. It started scheduled operations about a year ago.

At the moment, I am working on a project about airports, therefore I do a lot of research on this topic - this is also how I found this game "by mistake". It is kinda difficult to find official PAX-data for eastern european countries, but there are several airports in european Russia that have at least a few scheduled flights a week and that are not in the database: Pskov, Veliki Novgorod, Petrozavodsk, Tver, Rzhev, Solovetskiy Island, just to mention a few.
If I find something, I will post it.

If you can provide reliable data for Shymkent (about 30...35 weekly flights) PM me. I am currently working on 2007 pax data updates. I am through about 50 airports already. But with over 3,000 airports in the database it may take some time to update all of them. :roll:

Daniel-alanova

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 05:30:14 pm
PAX and Cargo for SHYMKENT (Kazakhstan):

According to the airport's web-page (it's in russian, so I hope I got everything right)
http://www.airserver.kz/rus/persp.asp

PAX 2006: 111665
PAX 2007 (estimation): 134280
PAX 2008 (prognosis): 199905

Cargo 2006: 2713 metric tons
Cargo 2007 (estimation): 400 t
Cargo 2008 (prognosis): 593 t

Greetings, Daniel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk