Airline Mogul Forum

ATR 42-300 vs -320

zkvac · 17 · 3641

zkvac

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • granturismoworld.piczo.com
on: March 16, 2008, 09:05:26 am
Why is the ATR 42-320 more popular than the -300? The -320 has the same seats/range , and only FOUR knots more speed, plus it burns more fuel and is nearly E200,000 more expensive.

Are people idiots or is it just me?
Public World #2119 - VincentAir (Australasia)

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:23:53 pm
Your not an idiot. people who buy those are idiots. I'm buying the -300 to lease out cheaper, and what people don't do is look at the specs before buying a plane :roll:

Hot Drink

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:26:24 pm
Some people just buy planes by the price and brand.
ode: NET, ID:11228
Codeshare Network
One of the best airlines operating in Middle East
http://airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/view_airline.php?id=11228
In Partnership with British Airways, ID:7933

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:27:42 pm
As the largest owner of the -320, I would just say that the price difference between the two variants would make no difference in the lease rate I throw them on market at, and the price difference is not that huge. As a result, I got the -320's anyway. I don't operate any of them.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:47:23 am
and... its like the only plane with a picture :lol:
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

FlyBlueAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 03:06:03 am
That people like some specific brand and just buy them at any cost is quite clear. If you look on the amount of Argosy 671 Commuter owners you're probably surprised. That plane can't be beaten on short routes in fuel versus seats comparisation for a price under 16mil.

But hey, who would be proud of saying that he owns an Argosy?  :twisted:

zkvac

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 03:10:42 am
So pretty much it's because 320 is a higher number than 300, the -320 looks better?

I looked at the Argosy, but its range isn't quote enough for Australasia.

SeaBlue Pacific Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 03:13:57 am
Quote from: "FlyBlueAir"
That people like some specific brand and just buy them at any cost is quite clear. If you look on the amount of Argosy 671 Commuter owners you're probably surprised. That plane can't be beaten on short routes in fuel versus seats comparisation for a price under 16mil.

But hey, who would be proud of saying that he owns an Argosy?  :twisted:

I like the Commuter but delivery time is 48 hours.  The Caravelles, while priced twice as much, will earn more than the savings you get for getting the commuter because delivery time is just 24 hours.  There is a reason why people prefer other planes than commuters.

For the ATRs, hmm... I really don't know.  Maybe 4 kts is worth the additional cost.  :?:

FlyBlueAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:38:51 am
Quote from: "SeaBlue Pacific Air"
I like the Commuter but delivery time is 48 hours.  The Caravelles, while priced twice as much, will earn more than the savings you get for getting the commuter because delivery time is just 24 hours.  There is a reason why people prefer other planes than commuters.

Good point indeed. That's why I order them at brokers, so I buy them actually when I earned enough money for them. That way the difference in delivery time is just a calculation instead delay of profit.

SeaBlue Pacific Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 03:43:14 am

Good point indeed. That's why I order them at brokers, so I buy them actually when I earned enough money for them. That way the difference in delivery time is just a calculation instead delay of profit.

Good strategy!  Why didn't I think of that?

zkvac

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 05:19:04 am

For the ATRs, hmm... I really don't know.  Maybe 4 kts is worth the additional cost.  :?:

200 Grand more? I don't think so.

So you can order, say a 737 at a broker even if you don't have the 60-odd million in the bank?

pck

• Airline Supervisor
  • Apportez-moi partout!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 07:02:27 am

Im so ripped by you.... :D

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 08:50:24 am
Quote from: "dktc"
As the largest owner of the -320, I would just say that the price difference between the two variants would make no difference in the lease rate I throw them on market at, and the price difference is not that huge. As a result, I got the -320's anyway. I don't operate any of them.

Yep. No difference  :lol:

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

Crow

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 09:14:36 am
The -320 is newer, that is why.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk