Airline Mogul Forum

Boeing 747-300

SkinnyRabbit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: March 13, 2008, 06:32:09 am
Does anyone actually have a Boeing 747-300 that they use for routes, i seem to see many top airlines that they don't have any...

~~~Skinny~~~
Toidious Airlines

EXTspotter

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:00:12 am
747s are too big.

They destroy yield because they have so many seats.

Aircraft like 767-200ERs are better because they don't hurt yield on routes as much.
ho said aviation sites were sexist?

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:10:55 am
Try flying ATL-LHR. No way a 747 would be too big.

epxair

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:10:01 pm
in such a short round.......
it is impossible to earn any profit if you buy a 743

a 743 worth 551m (with PW engine)
assume you earn 1m every game day....
you earn 1m x24 = 24m every game month (neglect fuel and other expenses)
and you need to wait for 10 real days to get a 743
therefore.....assume you can order a 743 when this round start
you only got 14 months left to use your 743.....

do you think you are going to earn any if u buy a 743.....and how long does it takes until break-even?? :D
uropacific Air.....id: 4659
A member of Universal Empire Alliance
Partners: British Airways, Vladivostok Avia, Virgin America, Airblue

designed by killian320

Triple_7

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:22:51 pm
Even in long rounds such large aircraft are more of a luxury then a necessity.  For the current set up they are full to the max with PAX.  Wait till aircraft layouts are put in then large aircraft will be more practical.  What real airline flies a 747 on a long haul that is packed only with economy seats...none that are known.  550 PAX is way to many for just economy.  Only all economy 747s I know of in real life are JAL's 747-400D's which are only used on short flights, that many PAX reduces range.

Once layouts are available you reduce the number of PAX considerably but should actually make a little more profit as there will now be classes.  Say 10 first class, 30-40 business and 250 economy.  Wont have such a drastic impact on everyone else and will be able to charge differently by classes instead of one set rate or everything.  I've learned last round that large aircraft really are not worth the money with the current one price setup.  I could make quite a bit more off a 150 seat aircraft then a 400 seat aircraft.  The demand is not high enough even on long hauls with the competition to support 500+ PAX on one flight.  But it will allow for 300 or so to make it decent.
ast Real Flight...Taiwan 2006...July 30th Through August 19th...FWA-DFW-LAX-TPE.....TPE-LAX-ORD-FWA.

Steeler83

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:50:16 am
Heck, my DOP is a formidable 13.6M Euros, which equates to a ballpark figure of some 260M Euros.  I would need to wait that out for over 2 months, not even taking into consideration the competition...

My equipment will be 762ERs and L-1011-500s.  I make enough money right now per month so I can afford an L-1011-500... which costs about 253.3M Euros...
teeler83
Founder and CEO of Buon Giorno! Airlines

Sheep Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 01:14:55 am
Quote from: "MrOrange"
Try flying ATL-LHR. No way a 747 would be too big.
I did it last round. It is. The problem is, that everyone wants to fly ATL-LHR so it's one of the most competitive routes out there - it's the long-equivalent of LHR-AMS or LHR-FRA... gets trashed quickly by too much supply, and having 747s on it doesn't really help.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:39:04 am
LHR-FRA?
Try LHR-CDG. It's far worse!
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

lhenning

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:07:30 pm
Quote from: Triple_7
Even in long rounds such large aircraft are more of a luxury then a necessity.  For the current set up they are full to the max with PAX.  Wait till aircraft layouts are put in then large aircraft will be more practical.  What real airline flies a 747 on a long haul that is packed only with economy seats...none that are known.  550 PAX is way to many for just economy.  Only all economy 747s I know of in real life are JAL's 747-400D's which are only used on short flights, that many PAX reduces range.

Once layouts are available you reduce the number of PAX considerably but should actually make a little more profit as there will now be classes.  Say 10 first class, 30-40 business and 250 economy.  Wont have such a drastic impact on everyone else and will be able to charge differently by classes instead of one set rate or everything.  I've learned last round that large aircraft really are not worth the money with the current one price setup.  I could make quite a bit more off a 150 seat aircraft then a 400 seat aircraft.  The demand is not high enough even on long hauls with the competition to support 500+ PAX on one flight.  But it will allow for 300 or so to make it decent.

Just so you konw Corsair and TUIfly Nordic uses Boeing 747-400 s with 582 seats!  :wink:
CEO lhenning

A Star Alliance Member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk