Airline Mogul Forum

To those already doing 2+ frequencies on routes...

boilermaker

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 08:59:10 pm
Quote from: "beirut785"
but in the real world they dont start immediatly with 10 daily flights between 2 cities even if they r far from each other

they start 1st with few weekly flights then to daily and then they might might double and so on

WN maybe the only one that does open a new airport with many flights.

Scandalian Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 09:00:26 pm
Quote from: "pseudoswede"
Quote from: "travismb99"
"I want to keep my gates" is a *blood sausage* excuse, pardon my English. I'm flying nothing but 1x, and I already have 60% utilization on my two starter gates.

This is more about later in the round when you, for example, open up a terminal and need to fill up 40 slots quick.

Well, if you have no place to go you should not open a 2nd base, or if you are afraid that you will not be able of getting gates for that base, rent them, create base, and return the excess ones til you need them...
img]http://www.lsn.se/televisionset/ScandalianAnimated.gif[/img]
Your skyrocket to elsewhere

travismb99

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 09:03:53 pm
Yes, in that situation I suppose it's understandable. But not at the start of a round.
acific Southwest Airlines - W10 - Catch our smile - ICAO:PS/#8304

Thanks_for_the_upgrade

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 09:22:43 pm
We've got a guy at my hub running two routes...  One a 9x, the other a 10x.  His totally monthly income?  4 Million.  Two of us  are running 18 routes at 1 and .5x... Our monthly income?  ~27M.  The good thing about it though is that since he's only flying two routes he's not on the other 16 diluting fares across the board.  I'd actually rather him stay on these two peanut routes.
UnderwAir [6] - Est. 1969.   (hehe, 69)

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 09:42:04 pm
This "hi-freq" thingy risks becoming the new (and forbidden) "1€" thingy... :roll:

Not that I disagree with anything that was said. Quite the opposite. Yet, I'm absolutely not bothered by it. On the contrary. To tell the truth, in the previous round I "pushed" quite a few competitors into doing it in routes that I deemed worthless.

Let's face it: in the current conditions (i.e., the way the LF algorithm goes) it's absolutely dumb to do very high frequencies. 2x or, depending on the a/c, 3x may be adequate in very strong and crowded routes at a later stage. Anywhere else, it's a waste of resources.

Yet, if a competitor is doing the hi-freq dance, you may be sure of two things: (1) he/she'll have less resources to bother you somewhere else and, (2) his/her growth will be severely hampered so that they won't be much of an inconvenience later on. Me likes it!

Oh, BTW, there is another "understable" reason to go unreasonably hi-freq on a route... :wink:

rodendack

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 09:49:09 pm
I´ve just started and I already found a guy doing that on one of my routes departing from chicago, 5 freqs, kamikaze style
ordillera Airlines, your gate to the South Pacific

ID2322...

Excuse me for my poor english :)

goducks40

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 09:52:58 pm
the only reason i've done it on one of my routes is that I didn't have enough hours on my plane to open a new route...so i chose the shortest route and doubled it...it gets me an extra $18,000 to do so.
ew World Airlines (NWD)
ID #: 8578

EXTspotter

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 10:01:07 pm
When I bought all 50 gates in Exeter a few games back, I ended up doing EXT-LHR 32 Daily on 735s, EXT- STN 27 Daily on F100s, EXT - IOM 14 Daily on 733s and EXT - ISC 9 Daily on F70s. In the end, I owned 49 gates and an alliance member had 1 for his Exeter - Newquay flight.
ho said aviation sites were sexist?

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 10:06:04 pm
Quote from: "goducks40"
the only reason i've done it on one of my routes is that I didn't have enough hours on my plane to open a new route...so i chose the shortest route and doubled it...it gets me an extra $18,000 to do so.

That is also reasonable. I would not fault anyone for that.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 10:13:27 pm
Oh, this reminds me...

Last turn, when I decided to move into LHR, I didn't have the required 4 gates to create a base. So, for a few days (game months), I bought a couple of 8-seaters and kept them doing MAN-LHR at very high frequencies, to hold onto the gates I had, until I could grab a couple more.

Sheep Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 11:17:00 pm
Quote from: "travismb99"
"I want to keep my gates" is a bull*vegetable* excuse, pardon my English. I'm flying nothing but 1x, and I already have 60% utilization on my two starter gates.
I've certainly done it to protect gates in full airports, where otherwise I'd need to release them.

Early on, if I see someone flying 10x, I just presume they are new and don't know how to play - they'll learn. Thinking charitably, 2x people may not realise they can go negative when buying gates - I know I've forgotten :oops: But some of them probably do think it's a good strategy.

Almost look back to the 0.5x arguments with nostalgia! :D

Kanis91

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 11:26:10 pm
There is one guy doing 10x from St. Maarten to Grand Case. :shock:  One thats on the same island and two its about 3 miles away in real life. :idea:  It not hurting me as I am based in Grand Case, but WHY? I am new too. I came into this game about a week ago. I started a airline with like 6x between two 100,000 airports. In ONE hour I was -600,000 with a $24 profit on my largest route. But I have learned. Now I have a airline with $66,500 DOP, $850,000 in projected profit and 12 routes all with above $5000 profit before the game even started.

Japanair

• Airline Operative
  • :D
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 11:29:05 pm
used to, but now i only use 0.5's and 1 frequencies.
I thought the gate prices would make my airline bankrupt, so I went to fewer destinations, but then I noticed 1 frequencies were a bit better and so I switched.

Floridair - W2169
Nordica - W2393
ID: 1945
A proud member of the WorldAir Alliance
GO CANUCKS GO!

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 11:42:57 pm
Quote from: "Kanis91"
There is one guy doing 10x from St. Maarten to Grand Case. :shock:  One thats on the same island and two its about 3 miles away in real life. :idea:  It not hurting me as I am based in Grand Case, but WHY? I am new too. I came into this game about a week ago. I started a airline with like 6x between two 100,000 airports. In ONE hour I was -600,000 with a $24 profit on my largest route. But I have learned. Now I have a airline with $66,500 DOP, $850,000 in projected profit and 12 routes all with above $5000 profit before the game even started.

As soon as you can chose a bigger airport as your base. You should be able to make at least 10x the profit you mentioned (I am currently at 600k or 13M projected and I am sure there are some with higher DOP).
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

Steeler83

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 12:05:06 am
I mostly only do 2-3X, but solely for more market share.  Plus, I have heard from other folks who play these airline sim games that having multiple aircraft on one route can lead to canibalized service.  So, it's a force of habit.  I'll try to break that tho :-)
teeler83
Founder and CEO of Buon Giorno! Airlines

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk