Yeah, but still is Army...
Delta Air Lines

DarthRobby

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: February 14, 2008, 10:49:14 pm
Quote from: "Blue Sky Mine"
Quote from: "DarthRobby"
The terrorist are trying to attack america, do you know how many terrorist attacks are stopped by homeland security?

I'd think "nil" would be a good answer :P

No, seriously: I know a Swiss guy who accidently flew ZRH-JFK and return with live ammunition in his hand luggage- and he wasn't stopped!

you can carry live ammunition, it just has to be wrapped properly
also they have stopped tons of terrorist attacks, as have the marines, look up a show called Delta company, and i know they wont show the "bad parts" of war, but they do talk about them! not the soldiers, the show people! and that shows them stopping terrorist attacks
img]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj103/suncountrynwa/undeadair.jpg[/img]
Undead Air

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: February 14, 2008, 11:00:08 pm
No, live ammo has to be in the hold

DarthRobby

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 11:45:27 pm
oh, it was in his carry on? and he started in the us? weird? anyway, thats homeland security's fault
but unless someone actually talks about what i said in the first post (thank you DekoCwb)
either way, my cousins husband is sf, he loves his job, otherwise he would find a different one!
Undead Air

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: February 15, 2008, 11:07:59 pm
Frankly, I would not worry about losing a limb if you are going to be in a tank. Usually, you either make it out, or you don't, and you are either burnt, half burnt, or not burnt. Just don't stick anything but your head out of the tank, and you should not lose your limb (... and stay alive, that is). So... 6 combinations basically.

How to convince your parents? Financial during ROTC would be one. Prestigeous school (as in better than the ones you could get in if not for ROTC) could be two. Telling them you would not come back without a limb (which is kind of true.... :P ) would be three. Discipline / training could be four. Threathen to sign up without their support could be five.

As for whether there have really been a lot of potential attacks on your country... really... I don't think that many people believe it, at least not the non-Americans. First of all, next to none of the "terrorists" are really convicted. Under most definition, that only make them suspects, not offenders. Secondly, those drill they do in airports and such... the homeland security always mess up on those. If the underover agents could carry a bomb and pass through security, how could they catch the real ones? :? Thirdly, and I probably should not say this, but... seriously, there are quite a number of lapses in the securities they have implemented. But then, we are not here to discuss that are we? Anyway, above are 5 ways you could consider to try and "convince" your parents, but if I have kids, I would never let them sign up.

Oh... and for your cousins husband... sometimes it is not that easy to get another job. First, there is the contract one signed, which at times have a specific minimum period attached to it. Then, one has to consider the qualifications and the skills one has. Lastly, opportunities and market situations may not be well for his qualifications and skills. There are a lot of people out there in jobs that they don't like but can't change due to different reasons, including high-pay (in relative to their qualifications), job security, contracts (and the penalty if they don't finish it), routines (ie. uncertainty in getting, and performing in a new job)... etc. The socialization (or re-education, or brain-washing, or "boot-camp", whatever you want to call it) is also another influence, because some people view quitting as un-manly, and quitting as deserting their pals (which are some values that are particularly prevalent in military).

But anyway, don't view us as trying to deter you. We are just trying to give you an all-round view in the reality of the military. One of my prof. is a former navy commander (for AWAC planes, or survelliance, or whatever...) and from what he has said (not even in a negative sense), the military is not as glorious as it appears. Office politics, inter-departmental competitions... etc. all exist in the organization that is supposed to be defending the country. However, those darker secrets play roles often as well and power struggles are considerations during operations.

Please take us seriously and go do more researches with an open mind. If you find you truely like it, you could find the faults of the military and come up with counter point before your parents bring those faults up. You could impress them with your maturity and show them you have thought this out well and thoroughly. That would help convince them in addition to the above 5 points. If, however, at anytime you have possible doubts about the organization, you could always look at other opportunities as well. Researches aren't going to harm you, that is for sure.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

DarthRobby

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: February 15, 2008, 11:40:43 pm
thank you so much dktc
also, it would be possible to lose arms, because i will be the commander, the guy who has half his body sticking out of the tank, but thank you for that! i think i will join either way, but it would be better to have their support
i discovered my favorite school (BYU) has an ROTC, which is awesome, so i can go to my dream school
thank you so much for the advice, and i am doing so much research, i am talking to recruiters online, i am looking at army forums, i am doing a lot
Undead Air

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 11:45:27 pm
Good luck Robby, but listen to me here, wait until your a bit older until you fully decide

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: February 15, 2008, 11:46:51 pm
Quote from: "DarthRobby"
thank you so much dktc
also, it would be possible to lose arms, because i will be the commander, the guy who has half his body sticking out of the tank, but thank you for that! i think i will join either way, but it would be better to have their support
i discovered my favorite school (BYU) has an ROTC, which is awesome, so i can go to my dream school
thank you so much for the advice, and i am doing so much research, i am talking to recruiters online, i am looking at army forums, i am doing a lot

Stop talking to the recruiters. They are not good sources. You don't have to talk to them until your junior or senior year of highschool. Right now, they are one of those biased source because they get paid selling that organization to you. Don't believe everything the recruiters say (and that is what our professors keep telling us).

oh... and remember to make a hard copy of this thread and put it in a safe deposit box... so you know not to blame us in case you regret your decision in 20 years :P
D Express (id 616) 8)

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: February 15, 2008, 11:57:19 pm
I'll second what dktc.

We had someone from the Royal Navy in our school the other week trying to get people to recruit (and it's well known that the British forces aren't getting enough people joining up at the moment... i wonder why) and he was basically talking loads of balls to us!

They want you to join, risk your life, you die, you die, they don't really care.

Sam

boilermaker

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: February 16, 2008, 05:26:45 am
Quote from: "dktc"

Stop talking to the recruiters. They are not good sources.

Plus they have nothing to do with ROTC or Officer Candidate Selection. Our drill instructors called recruiters Body Snatchers  :P

DarthRobby

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 05:17:20 pm
ok, then, i was just asking them questions like, what type of vehicle would i be riding in as an armor officer, and where would i be in that vehicle
they weren't much help there, but they help with some things
that is why i came here to talk about talking to my parents, because they didnt want to talk about that, they just said all parents are like that
i will give this thought, i am not stupid, my cousin actually said i am asking questions she would never expect from a 13 year old, i am giving this thought, and i will continue to do so!
also, if i shouldn't talk to recruiters, who should i talk to?
Undead Air

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: February 16, 2008, 05:32:24 pm
who should i talk to?

No one.

Wait until your at least 15 before considering Your only 13, so you can't actually do anything just yet. Enjoy your time at school (it will fly by, trust me), get good grades then worry about the army once your about to leave

DarthRobby

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: February 16, 2008, 05:35:27 pm
ok
*talks to recruiters*
Undead Air

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: February 16, 2008, 05:53:53 pm
:lol: Kind of agree with Hampo here. You are not supposed to be worrying about your future career yet... but oh well... if you want to agonize yourself with it.... :lol:

Your local veteran homes and retirement communities could poses some opportunities. Maybe do some volunteer services at those places and see if you could chat with some veterans (... or more like they would have you listen to their stories non-stop :P)

Also try finding out if you have teachers or other people you come in contact with regularly who are vets, and talk to them as well.

The best sources I would consider would be the people who got discharged, so you know the darkest side of the organization. If those aren't going to deter you, then you would be fine in there.. (until you got to be the one who got discharged :lol: )
D Express (id 616) 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk