Airline Mogul Forum

Army

DarthRobby

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: February 11, 2008, 03:24:35 am
Hey, i haven't been on for a long time, but is anyone here in the army/military? if so, how did you convince your parents to let you join (i know you can join with out their support, but it would be no fun to go in without family support)
btw, i am only 13 (almost 14), but i really want to do this, i know that because a while ago i really wanted a business, and i got myself one (kinda)
img]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj103/suncountrynwa/undeadair.jpg[/img]
Undead Air

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:27:57 am
Whay would you want to join the army...? :?
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

DekoCwb

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:00:05 am
I am a military, but from Brazilian Army....Only 1 thing i have to say to you...

ARMY RULESSSSS
Delta Air Lines

gagahput3ra

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:10:48 am
Quote from: "DarthRobby"
Hey, i haven't been on for a long time, but is anyone here in the army/military? if so, how did you convince your parents to let you join (i know you can join with out their support, but it would be no fun to go in without family support)
btw, i am only 13 (almost 14), but i really want to do this, i know that because a while ago i really wanted a business, and i got myself one (kinda)

:shock: Joining army has no fun at all, even with family support (at least from my opinion). I respect army, they are very loyal to their country and want to defend their nation in the first line of defense 8)...but i think there's a lot more option to defend your country than joining army. How about learning well and become something that will make your nation proud of you?  :D  i think it's the same thing as joining army, but with no stupid war :(

(no offense to army  :) )
img]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3166/gwebsair21nm8.png[/img]
GweBS Air[BS]. A New Life Is Here.
BlueSkies Members
Official Partners Of Fly Luso, Czech International Airlines, Asian Connection & Fly Mogul

boilermaker

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 04:29:48 am
Since you have several years to go, I'd start looking at MOS offerings and what your interests are. Technology is bound to change in four years, so keep that in mind also. Parents always want what they think is best for their kid - which usually means college. A four-year University isn't for everybody. Remember, it's your future so think about things you can excel at.

Another thing to do is talk to folks in the various branches of the military and recent vets. Some will tell nothing but horror stories. Find out what jobs they did, what they liked and disliked.

I joined the Marines when I was 19. Everybody thought I was nuts and my dad was dead against it. But dad was the one in tears when I graduated from boot camp.

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 04:31:13 am
I was Navy Reserve....

It was a compromise with my parents.  My Dad's family was active duty Navy and my parents wanted me to go to college instead. I wanted to join the Navy to do something that mattered and to get to travel like my friends in the service.

The Navy or Air Force is probably a more appropriate place for you anyway.  Much better technical training options in those rather than the Army or Marines.

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:17:22 am
It's a good Ben Folds song.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:16:11 am
like Gagah said, i respect those people that go to the front lines.  But me, i would never do it myself. :|

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:32:59 am
Me in the army? :shock:

I even got around the German compulsary military service :P

No, honestly: I don't want to insult any soldiers, but I think the army would be worse than hell for me!
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 10:33:59 am
I joined the German Navy in 1994 and served for six years. Although not everything I liked there (needed to do some really stupid things) it was a time I do not want to miss. I had an apprenticeship as an electrician. For almost two years I had nothing to do with the Army. The last 3.5 years I repaired Tornado aircrafts which was (besides some military excercises) a good time. I have visited various places when our pilots had their training missions from other NATO bases e.g. Ovar, Portugal or Decimomannu, Italy.
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

DarthRobby

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 01:46:46 pm
haha, i dont mean i want to enlist, i mean i want to be an officer, does anyone know anything about that?
also, i am going to a 4 year college, but i want to go in the ROTC as well
also i am more interested in tank tech then ship tech, never really been interested in ships for some reason, no offense to navy guys, ships where never my thing, while i like planes, i have a fear of heights, and my mom would be so mad if i joined the air force, because of the amount of AA guns and things, it could be over so fast
so, please dont talk to me about different branches, i have looked at them all, and army is for me.
img]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj103/suncountrynwa/undeadair.jpg[/img]
Undead Air

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 02:04:17 pm
Hi Robby.

Your still only 13 so you don't have to worry about careers just yet.

The main thing for you is to concentrate as hard as you can at school and get some good qualifications. When I was 13 I had some mad idea about what I wanted to do, but most of them were just in my head. Now i'm in my final year of school (well only 12 weeks left) I've had to seriously consider what I want to do in my future. I've decided to do an aviation degree in college with the option of going onto university and continuing further studies. After some long thinking I've decided that I'd like to become a pilot (taking into account if I can pass a medical, or if anything else goes wrong). If you want to join the army, no one can stop you, it's your decision, the only thing people can do is try and persuade you to what you want to do.

No disrespect to the guys in the army, but most of them aren't the brightest people around. It's pretty poor pay for the job that they do. You seem to be a bright lad and it would be a shame to see your brains be wasted in the army. If i was you i wouldn't worry about what you want to do just yet as you still have a few years left of your school life. From experience I can tell you, enjoy yourself! School has been one of the best parts of my life and I have only come to realise how good it actually was!

Worry about career choices when your a little bit older and have more of an idea at what you want to do. When the time comes, I'm sure your school will have a careers adviser which will help you choose what you want to do.

All the best!

Sam

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 02:16:16 pm
I agree with Sam.

No disrespect to the guys in the army, but most of them aren't the brightest people around. It's pretty poor pay for the job that they do.

No comment on that because I know people take great prides in being in the military.

Personally, I come from a place where we not only don't need to serve, but basically can't serve in the military. I feel blessed.

Some of the military controls, I don't really understand. Those sacrifacing for country bs... and those be a robot and follow orders even you know you would get killed bs... they are bs.

To me military are people would train for either nothing, or train to get killed. They are people who go into some place vertically, and come out horizontally. Saddist thing is they have to go get themselves killed whenever some false intelligence surface and a cowboy says they should go.

I don't know why the military appeals to you. Maybe you have been playing to many shooting games irl or online. At 13, it is not a realistic worry. Try to be open and remain undecided for a few more years. Other opportunities may present them to you.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 05:05:25 pm
I'm not sure what the system is like in the USA but in the UK we have a week called 'work experience' where we go to a place of our choice and work their for a week. You could see if its possible to spend the week at your local army base when the time comes.

Sam

EXTspotter

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 06:53:55 pm
I did my work experience in a vets, I had a great time, plus, now I have a load of photos which freak people out. I can also perform speying/neutering operations on cats and dogs (they let me do it on work experience!!!).
ho said aviation sites were sexist?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk