Airline Mogul Forum

BA 772ER off runway at LHR

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
on: January 17, 2008, 03:19:56 pm
a ba 777-200ER (G-YMMM) has come off the runway, well not off really, its managed to land just where 27L's lights are and then skidding to the beginning of 27L

heres the link, beware of the dumb media  :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7194086.stm

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1318129&size=L

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1318128&size=L

Would there be a ATC recording of the time? I wish I had my airband radio  :( and I wish I could go to hatton cross now :(

BREAKING NEWS: Tow truck driver talked to the pilot of the plane who said he lost all power and avionics on approach and had to glide it in

got to say, the media needs a lot of pointers in aircraft accidents

Also, They are saying that 27L has reopened for takeoff only, how far down does a 744 need to go in order to not cause any jetblast and move the 777 out of its place?

DAK

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:37:13 pm
A/C, landed just inside the perimeter fence on the grass. Left main gear sheared off and aircraft skidded to a stop on the treshold of 27L on a 45 degree longitudinal angle to the centreline. All pax evacuated using slides, only 4 minor injuries. Flaps appear to be fully down at 30degrees, spoilers not deployed. APU door appears to be open. Total loss of power on final?

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:40:10 pm
Quote from: "DAK"
A/C, landed just inside the perimeter fence on the grass. Left main gear sheared off and aircraft skidded to a stop on the treshold of 27L on a 45 degree longitudinal angle to the centreline. All pax evacuated using slides, only 4 minor injuries. Flaps appear to be fully down at 30degrees, spoilers not deployed. APU door appears to be open. Total loss of power on final?

read above, and the spoilers would be probably due to the gear being sheared off and not sensing the touchdown or touchingdown and not sensing the soft grass

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:49:57 pm
Looking at the emails from various groups I am on, I am glad I didn't catch it on Sky News. If they so badly report a story like this, what other items do the screw up completely? It happens over and over again when there are aviation crashes.

Glad nobody was killed, although it will be interesting to see what caused it. I'm guessing Windshear or a stall on account of the undershoot, but I could be wrong.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 03:51:11 pm
Total loss of power on final?

If it was, the Ram Air Turbine would have deployed. And it would take a bit to get the APU up and running I'd say.
Stephen Murphy

DAK

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 03:54:01 pm
You can't see the RAT, A/C is on its belly. Spoilers would still have deployed as they are powered by the accumulators

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 03:54:12 pm
The engines failed over hounslow and from that place to the threshold, it would have been impossible to go through the engine statup procedure even if the RAT is deployed or if the APU was started (which was as with pictures above)

DAK

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 03:59:16 pm
If both engines flame out, the APU starts automatically.

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 03:59:20 pm
You can't see the RAT, A/C is on its belly. Spoilers would still have deployed as they are powered by the accumulators

Spoilers would have probably be armed to landing and wouldnt probably had time to raise them bacause of the pressure on pilots of both engines failing. they knew that their gear was going to give way because their nose was up and they knew they were going to hit the ground before the threshold of 27L. Therefore arming the spoilers would have no effect.

http://www.flightglobal.com/AirSpace/photos/baboeing777accident/images/8124/original.aspx

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 04:00:08 pm
So they had a bit of time? Yeah I wasn't 100% on the location of the RAT. Lucky escape so!
Stephen Murphy

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 04:00:41 pm
If both engines flame out, the APU starts automatically.

yh, but as I said, the time it would have taken to turn on the engines to the time to the threshold would be much more.

also, the BBC is now using aviation terms like Instument landing system and auxilary power unit  :shock:  :lol:

its also RR engines for anyone who is reading the post on a.net and saying that most of the BA 777 fleet have GE engines

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 04:01:48 pm
No point in speculating about what went on, because none of you know ;)

There will be so many different rumors going around about what happened, and most of them will be bullsh!t!

The pilots got the aircraft down safely, and only 3 people with minor injuries. Sky News are making it all out to be worse than it is, 'the aircraft glided within feet of houses before crashing into the ground and ripping to pieces'.

Sam

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 04:02:31 pm
Quote from: "Hampo"

The pilots got the aircraft down safely, and only 3 people with minor injuries. Sky News are making it all out to be worse than it is, 'the aircraft glided within feet of houses before crashing into the ground and ripping to pieces'.

Sam

correction, now theres 6 and typical media  :lol:

DAK

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 04:02:49 pm
Spoilers are not raised manually, they go up automatically and are armed miles before landing as part of the pre landing checks.

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 04:05:27 pm
Spoilers are not raised manually, they go up automatically and are armed miles before landing as part of the pre landing checks.

I know, I'm saying that the sensors in the gears wouldnt have registered that the wheels had touchdown because it contacted the soggy grass which was soft at that time.

another picture

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1318132&size=L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk