Airline Mogul Forum

Scandalian Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: January 08, 2008, 09:43:30 am
Glad to find the IL-76T in the year 1971 :)
I bought one instantly, it's crew intensive, a fuel guzzler with medium range, but since I have flown on it a few times I wanted one.
BUT, should it really be in the game? Although it can carry 100+ pax it rarely does, the pax carrying abilities comes from rows of primitive seats along the sides of the fuselage, and a "pillow" with a seat belt for those that didn't get a seat (yes really!). I have never heard of an IL-76 that has been made into a real pax aircraft.

See here:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0710819/L/
Should we add Hercules, Starlifter Galaxian etc too as they can carry pax too?
img]http://www.lsn.se/televisionset/ScandalianAnimated.gif[/img]
Your skyrocket to elsewhere

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:18:15 am
Did Aeroflot do freight as well as pax?  I was flipping through my JAWA and saw Ilyushin 76T/TD delivered to Aeroflot, it is a quickchange model, with 3 pax modules of 36 seats each...

If what you say is true, yes. it probably should be removed.

We've learned airliners.net isn't always perfect, by the way. sometimes flagrantly different from JAWA on basic stuff like intro date.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 11:28:35 am
I like the Il 76. We had this huge Lockheed bird which didn't even reach production, why not the Il 76 then?
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

Scandalian Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:46:30 am
Quote from: "Blue Sky Mine"
I like the Il 76. We had this huge Lockheed bird which didn't even reach production, why not the Il 76 then?

Don't get me wrong I love the IL-76, had the most amazing acceleration I have ever experienced, roller coasters included. And I was on one of those seats sitting sideways. Everyone slided halfway over in their neighbours seat on take off. But the coolest was when we landed in Tuzla Bosnia and they hit reverse thrust, I was sitting right next to the engines and it was like a kick in my back and a massive roar. Mmm, I get goosebumps just thinking about it :)

To my knowledge Aeroflot has only used it for cargo, but it's not impossible that they have made some pax transports into remote locations. I would love to see those 36 pax modules, but it sounds like feasible temporary solution IMO.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:03:44 pm
I know that a Il 76 carrying pax crashed in Africa some years ago (or to be more precise, it lost its rear door)

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

Scandalian Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:21:45 pm
If I'm not wrong it was a cargo configured IL-76 that evacuated refugees or something? And it had pax sitting on the floor when the rear door broke loose and the pax was sucked/fell out.
I know there are several more 100+ pax crashes involving IL-76, and even one with 200+ pax. But to my knowledge they were all cargo planes flying pax.

Scandalian Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 12:38:35 pm
Here's info about the 59 hull losses of IL-76:
http://aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?Type=314

Worst accident had 275 fatalities :shock: Iranian Guard

The Congo incident mentioned before was not a hull loss.
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20030508-0

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:26:38 pm
Quote from: "Scandalian Airlines"

Don't get me wrong I love the IL-76, had the most amazing acceleration I have ever experienced, roller coasters included. And I was on one of those seats sitting sideways. Everyone slided halfway over in their neighbours seat on take off. But the coolest was when we landed in Tuzla Bosnia and they hit reverse thrust, I was sitting right next to the engines and it was like a kick in my back and a massive roar. Mmm, I get goosebumps just thinking about it :)

To my knowledge Aeroflot has only used it for cargo, but it's not impossible that they have made some pax transports into remote locations. I would love to see those 36 pax modules, but it sounds like feasible temporary solution IMO.

I think that Aeroflot did use this configuration during the soviet era at least at once point of time. At that time, nearly every town that had a airfield had commercial service at that time from them. I remember seeing photos of the AN-2's inside, its very similar to the IL-76's where pax sit in seats similar to this.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 04:14:43 pm
Yah, Soviet air transport (not to mention africa) used to work a little different in comparison with the western aviation I'm used to. For example I read that some of SU's planes even offered gunlockers to their passengers, not to protect the plane but to protect the guns from being stolen :shock:

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

mproger@gmail.com

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 08:34:55 pm
If I'm not wrong it was a cargo configured IL-76 that evacuated refugees or something? And it had pax sitting on the floor when the rear door broke loose and the pax was sucked/fell out.
I know there are several more 100+ pax crashes involving IL-76, and even one with 200+ pax. But to my knowledge they were all cargo planes flying pax.
and airlines in the game are flying this thing?  seriously, why would any pax pay to go on that POS.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 08:46:18 pm
Quote from: "mproger@gmail.com"
and airlines in the game are flying this thing?  seriously, why would any pax pay to go on that POS.

It always depends on what is offered on a certain route. For example in real life I think some people would really appreciate such a connection from Havanna to Miami (but not necesarily the other way around)

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

Scandalian Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 09:09:29 pm

Well,then why should any airline fly DC-10, Comet, or what about the ill fated bulkhead of the 747 like with JAL in 1985 or the total fuselage collapse of a China Airlines 747 in 2002, where the plane totally disintegrated mid air?  Are those POS too as you so nicely put it? :evil:  :roll:

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 11:19:41 pm
Quote from: Scandalian Airlines
Tuzla Bosnia

Do you like Bosnia? :P
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 02:00:14 am

Well,then why should any airline fly DC-10, Comet, or what about the ill fated bulkhead of the 747 like with JAL in 1985 or the total fuselage collapse of a China Airlines 747 in 2002, where the plane totally disintegrated mid air?  Are those POS too as you so nicely put it? :evil:  :roll:

Lets not forget also that many Soviet planes like the IL-76 and Tu-154 are good quality planes. They are labor intensive and their engines are not the best out there (they can suck a lot of fuel), but in the right hands, they actaully can fly well as they're built like pickup trucks in a way. Remember, since the geography of the Soviet Union was mostly rural, most of them needed a requirement to land at grass fields or land with the gear up and sustain minimal damage. Most hull losses occur due to pilot error or neglegence by certain crews (maint or cockpit), just like their Western Counterparts (AA 191 is an example).

Reading those ASN reports, all I have to say is this:

I highly doubt that the engineers designed the planes to go literally through mountains, other planes and buildings (all 3 count as pilot error), they also were not designed to magically repair itself after being shot at by fighters or being fired at by a Shoulder fired SAM or having a broken cog wheel. A good chunk of those reports also report that the plane was way overloaded too, which is another pilot error.

One of those was not a hull loss at all either, but a Hijacking of some terrorists demanding to go to Isreal (the one that happened in 1988 with a Aeroflot aircraft.)

Reading all 59 of those, I don't see any constant problems with the plane itself. Most of those flights were vitims of crew error (such as accedentally slamming into a mountain or overloading and not being able to climb.)

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 08:34:23 am
I absolutely agree with you. You can't expect a plane to be as longlasting as it would normally be if you abuse it.

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk