Airline Mogul Forum

Places of Interest & A Drinks Game!

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
on: January 06, 2008, 02:57:55 pm
Quote from: "StephenM"
DUB-SXL, but not so much SXL-DUB. Aer Arann ATR42 route, about 30mins door to door. Generally followed by me taking a C172/C152 out for a flight.  :D

Just took a look at the SXL airport homepage. Is this the area where you live? Looks really nice. Have not been in Ireland so far - but have in mind as a destination for vacation since years. :roll:
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:08:30 pm
Quote from: "AirHanoverInternational"
Just took a look at the SXL airport homepage. Is this the area where you live? Looks really nice. Have not been in Ireland so far - but have in mind as a destination for vacation since years. :roll:

Yeah, I live about an hour from Sligo. Its a great area, still traditional in a large sense and plenty of green around.  :wink: I'd recommend the West Coast for any holidays, the South and South West is very Tourism orientated especially for the US Tourist market. If you go further north to the West (We have 3 West regions as such) to Galway and my home Mayo you get still touristy but authentic too. Finally the North West (Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal) are more "wild" and are definitely worth a look.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:09:41 pm
You have to be mad to go on holiday to Ireland  :D

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 03:22:51 pm
Quote from: "Hampo"
You have to be mad to go on holiday to Ireland  :D

You have to be mad to get on a Ryanair flight to Dublin and just walk around all day.  :P
Stephen Murphy

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 03:50:26 pm

Yeah, I live about an hour from Sligo. Its a great area, still traditional in a large sense and plenty of green around.  :wink: I'd recommend the West Coast for any holidays, the South and South West is very Tourism orientated especially for the US Tourist market. If you go further north to the West (We have 3 West regions as such) to Galway and my home Mayo you get still touristy but authentic too. Finally the North West (Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal) are more "wild" and are definitely worth a look.

Just took a look around the web for Sligo. Wikipedia states about 17,000 citizens and 150 pubs. The closest city to my house has about 100,000 inhabitants but probably just about the same amount of pubs/restaurants. One of them is the "Wild Geese" (or something similiar) I visited regular in the 90's (before I was married :wink: ). Every weekend they invited irish musicians and paid for their flights/hotels. It was really a nice atmosphere. One time I was there I stayed until the pub closed (the owner was a friend of mine) and I had a nice conversation with the artists. Unfortunatly I had so much beer I could not remember city they came from :roll: But I DO remember they have had a lot of beer, too :lol:

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 04:01:16 pm
Haha, my local town has a population of 10,000 and over 100 licenced premises. That's nearly 1 pub per 100 people!
Stephen Murphy

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 04:09:32 pm
Haha, my local town has a population of 10,000 and over 100 licenced premises. That's nearly 1 pub per 100 people!

You should have created a game where it was the goal to serve the most beer  :lol: (In case you start to programme such a game: All rights on this idea reserved :wink: ) The richest people in Ireland must be owners of breweries :D

killian320

• Airline Operative
  • Killiarney :P
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:27:09 pm

You should have created a game where it was the goal to serve the most beer  :lol: (In case you start to programme such a game: All rights on this idea reserved :wink: ) The richest people in Ireland must be owners of breweries :D

I'd be the Guinness family :D

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 04:46:55 pm
Quote from: "killian320"

I'd be the Guinness family :D

That'd be pretty awsome- although I'd prefer to be a member of the Smirnoff family :twisted:
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 05:17:28 pm
Topic split on account of going off-topic.
Stephen Murphy

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 05:44:39 pm
does Ireland have many local breweries or do you all drink Guinness?

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 05:47:06 pm
Beer has gone a lot down the list. Its mainly older people that drink Guiness, anyway its part of Diageo now so its no longer Irish owned. Its all spirits really here at this stage for the younger market. Guiness is popular with older people, in rural pubs and tourists!
Stephen Murphy

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 05:52:22 pm
What kind of beer is still Irish and can be bought outside Ireland? I thought Kilkenny but it is also produced by Diageo - as per wikipedia. Do you have any german beer over there?

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 05:53:07 pm
ah ok, so the germans are the last ones in Europe to keep beer popular?

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 05:58:17 pm
There are really none left. Non Irish owned anyway. Larger/Stout there are other brands. Unfortunately I dont drink German beer so I cant tell you.  :lol:
Stephen Murphy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk