Airline Mogul Forum

Route / LF

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
on: December 30, 2007, 01:39:07 pm
I just edited a route as its load factor was below 60%. Without changing a value I clicked on the update button and the LF rose to 89%. How come? Happened with a second route again :roll: (noticed that last round when a competitor gave up that specific route but I doubt this happened here)

To all players: before updating route fares plz check if LF rises when you click on "Update". This will possibly prevent an early start of the pricing war that we had last round.
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

bibi974

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 05:54:59 pm
I will second that!
Indeed it has often happened that i Could make my prices higher even though rates had dropped around 80/90%
URL=http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/view_airline.php?id=5435][/URL]

You never rose that high!

Gustavo

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 07:31:09 pm
it happens to me too. Maybe I'm the way too wrong but I think it works like this: There is something like an imediate potential passengers number (not like the total potential that you see when you first open the route), that gets bigger, as much (in some proportion) as the offer. For example, in a route with 1.500 potential passengers, when you start that route, against another airline (assuming that both are using a beech99), you are not competing for 1500 passengers, you're in a competition for something like 23~28 passengers, because otherwise, even in a competition involving 10 airlines for that route, using a beech99, it would not affect your loadfactor at all.

so, I guess it happens when there isnt a strong competition yet, and someone opens the same route as mine, the number of passenger for that route increases, as a whole (looking the competition information, I notice that), and that potential, somehow, increases beyond the capacity of the plane put by the opponent airline, then there are some passenger, say, "left behind", that my airline can take advantage of.

well.. thats all a non empirical thesis. a big guess. don't mind if it is wrong :P
img]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1553/logonordestefinalgifjr4.gif[/img]

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 08:06:51 pm
Now, this is what just happened:

A new competitor entered my route Madrid-Amsterdam. The LF dropped from 100% down to 88%. I now could raise the fare from 3,198 EUR to 3,220 EUR while the LF went back to 100% again. Unfortunatly I dont know who just came in - but the admins may find him by the highest route number I guess. There are three B99's and one F27-200. All at freq 1. I use a B99 at freq 0.5.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 08:55:04 pm
Quote from: "AirHanoverInternational"

A new competitor entered my route Madrid-Amsterdam. The LF dropped from 100% down to 88%. I now could raise the fare from 3,198 EUR to 3,220 EUR while the LF went back to 100% again. Unfortunatly I dont know who just came in - but the admins may find him by the highest route number I guess. There are three B99's and one F27-200. All at freq 1. I use a B99 at freq 0.5.

The F27 is mine.

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 09:33:24 pm
Quote from: "MrOrange"
Quote from: "AirHanoverInternational"

The F27 is mine.

Yeah, I have seen that already. The question would be: did you create that route recently?

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 09:49:23 pm
Yeah, about 2 hours ago.

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:51 pm
Ok, thanks. Maybe this information will help the staff to find that weird thing faster.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:07:44 pm
It's not that weird actually. Route demands and load factors are calculated based on a number of things, including the newest airline on the route. The new guy tends to get a better LF than the airlines already flying. I don't know if editing a route makes you the newest airline, but if so, there is no bug.

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:18:39 pm
Just to show you my point of view:

More capacity + lower fare from you and the others competing on that route = a lower load factor for me
then still
More capacity + higher fare from me = higher load factor for me

Does this really make sense to you?

BTW: Do you still have LF 100% on that route?

I would really like to know what will happen when the next one uses to fly that route :roll: Maybe I can raise my fares again some EUR?

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 11:06:38 pm
It does make sense if the effect of being the newest airline on the route is strong enough to outweigh the higher fare.  And I still have the full 100% LF on it.

empedocles

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 11:43:20 pm
I've actually been able to go in every couple days and increase my fare by €10-20 while keeping 100% loads

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 03:02:49 am
I've had this "problem" too :)

Its helped raise my dop up by 2k (for me its alot)
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 07:51:16 am
It seems to happen always. I just updated four routes with a LF<100% by charging HIGHER fees on EACH route :shock:  :roll:

Admins: stop the game. Or the slow down this round wont last long as it will turn into the opposite soon.

Off-topic: Hope you all have a nice New Year party today. I gotta leave now :D

Edit:
Nope, it does not really happen always :roll: One route out of five in total today I needed to lower the fare. Strange...

bibi974

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 07:54:25 am
LOL there might be no need to stop the game
Even though it happens quite often, once there are competition enough(i.e too much planes on the same route), the price goes down, I mean one is forced to lower the price.
So...
URL=http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/view_airline.php?id=5435][/URL]

You never rose that high!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk