Airline Mogul Forum

Airport experiences

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
on: December 30, 2007, 12:05:53 pm
As best/worst flights are in discussion I like to know what you think of the airports you used for your flights (airports you visited for spotting only do not count :wink: ). Perhaps you may help others to chose a nice airport for their next flights.

Hannover, Germany (used many times as it is the closest one)
pretty small, easy accessable by car but sometimes hard to find a parking lot close to the desired terminal, experienced delays (departure): below 15 minutes, signs (gates/rest rooms/info desk, etc.) are placed well, aircrafts mainly park at the gate fingers

Vienna, Austria (most used destination in the last 5 years)
easy accessable by car and train (I used rentals only) but a long way to the rentals parking area if you have a lot of luggage, experienced delays (departure): one or two times below 15 minutes almost everytime up to 45 minutes (must be due to the fact there is only one runway in use which is not enough for rush hours; also we have been on hold many times before landing :cry: ), signs (gates/rest rooms/info desk, etc.) are placed well, aircrafts often park far away from the Terminal (a new one is under construction and may be ready for the European Soccer Championship in Austria/Switzerland 2008)

Stuttgart, Germany
pretty small, easy accessable by car, some signs could be placed a bit better, experienced delays (departure): mainly on time but up to 30 minutes in rush hours, sometimes there are not enough check-inn desks available to handle the passengers in rush hours.
Trivia: Stuttgart was one of the most dangerous international airports in Europe until the mid 90's and is now the only airport in Europe that has its tower placed outside the airport boundaries.

Palma de Mallorca, Spain (I have been two times there)
easy accessable by car, long ways to walk from the gates which is even more horrible when the conveyor belts do not work, experienced delays: first time on time/ second time 30 minutes

London Heathrow, UK (I have been here once, April 2002)
cant say much about it but hopefully Gatwick/Stansted/Luton/City are better than this one, 15 minutes late on arrival in the morning, 45 minutes late on departure, signs are hard to find, all the arrival/departure information screens did not work the day I wanted to go back home, If I had to chose which airport is the worst one I visited it would be Heathrow

I have been to various other airports in Europe and US (10 or more years ago) but cannot remember them good enough to give more than a single statement and things may have changed since then. Although huge in size I loved Atlanta and Newark but remember to have timing problems at Houston (they closed the aircraft door right after I could manage to get into it). Also I loved that cute little Monroe Regional Airport, LA. I always got there and left on time (have been there three times). One time I arrived 20 minutes ahead the schedule as it seemed the pilot was in a hurry when he performed a real short stop at Montgomery, Alabama on the way from Atlanta  :D Usually the pilot stops in front of the runway and stops again on the runway. But that time the aircraft did not even stop one time. I had the feeling the engines reached takeoff power before we finished the turn to align with the runway :lol:

EDIT:
Airport security at Vienna damaged my suitcase I had expensive IT components in. There was no notification for me. It may be better to lock the zippers of you luggage with an extenal lock instead of using the integrated one. The suitcase they damaged in Vienna was just one week old :cry: In Hanover they ordered me once to open my luggage to show them the inside.
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

blumage

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:35:06 pm
Vienna is a small airport, I bought an Airport express ticket was fairly priced compared to the Malpensa Express ticket in Milan. But then i soon realized that there was a cheaper way to get to and from the airport. Vienna is great but the airport lacks in entertainment.
Milan Malpensa-One of the worst but better than Milan Linate. Nothing to see and nothing to buy.
Milan Linate- And I believed Malpensa was *vegetable*ty.
Rome Leonardo Da Vinci/Fiumicino- I cant remember much about the airport but it seemed fairly nice. I liked its architecture.
Amsterdam Schipol- I got tired hearing KL messages Board ur flight now or we will proceed in unloading ur baggage. Airport was good though.
Frankfurt- I took the train (Skylink) i guess from Terminal A to Terminal C nice view of the airport
London Heathrow- one of the most confusing airport in the world, long lines at immigration,long security lines, long walks, airport map confusing.
Paris CDG- What i can Remember is that I walked a lot to catch my flight. Airport Transfer should be made easier.
Lon Angeles LAX- TBIT was in total chaos, I didnt get to see the airport a lot my flight was leaving at Midnight all shops and diners where closed.
T4 was *vegetable*ty nothing to do and it's also very crowded.
DFW- In Architecture is one of the best it's very big and marvelous. Inside was poor once u check in and pass through security, there is nothing much to do.
Manila MNL (Philippines)
I've been to NAIA-1
Long lines to check in,long lines to pay taxes, long lines to pass immigration, long lines to pass security. Lack of facilities and few shops and dining areas.
NAIA-2 The BEst airport in the Philippines nice architecture and maintenance, but the turndown it's only for PR and 2P
NAIA Domestic- One of the crappiest.
Beijing PEK- Trying hard to copy HKG. but they cant be compared to HKIA.
Tianjin TSN (China)- No Comment i ended up arguing with the guard. Bad memories.
Cebu(Mactan) also in the Philippines- A lot better than NAIA-1 one of the best also but there is a lack in entertainment facilities once ur inside.
Other Airports in the Philippines (Ozamiz,Cagayan de Oro  and Dipolog)
They're small domestic airports dont expect much
Hong Kong International Airport- I saved the best for the last, I agree with skytrax, It is trully the best in the world, free Wifi, and if u dont own a Laptop u can use their free computer stations. Easy transfer, enjoy using the airport train, A lot of shops and dinning spots, Catch best deals everywhere, Immigration lines smooth also baggage handling is excellent. Very Clean and safe.Smooth connection with the city, by Airport Express 100HKD or 10 € taxi 200HKD about 20€ or bus only 2€. What ever means of transport be sure to try them all. I did and u will get the to see Hong Kong from different views. Personal Experience if u  loose something u'll find it again in that airport. Like ''IPODS''
Im interested to see Singapore Changi and Seoul incheon, i hope some day i can go there.They have also a very good reputation

ID 5228
And if we like to over do things just Imagine what is like to be our Guest!
Proud Member of BlueSkies

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:52:11 pm
ATW-Appleton
Nice airport. Very few delays/cancellations. Great food [Cafe and Bar]. Nice shopping [1/2 stores]. Nice terminal. Freindly people. Everything is clean. Not always the best, but it works [even if NWA puts you on a Saab340 :roll: ]
ATL-Atlanta
Excellent. Largest "PAX" mover in the US right next to LAX. Not the best condition in some terminals [Watch out for Terminal B] which is mainly Delta Air Lines. Good food in some places. Great shopping. As great as the Mall of America.
RSW-Ft. Meyers
Decent and mainly clean. Had a few rough times [too early and got bored]. Sometimes not the greatest of choices for food/shopping. Excellent service [kind of].
DTW-Detroit
Decent and quite good for shoppers/eaters/monorail riders :lol: Also, if you fly into/out of DTW with NWA, you have 75-80 gates in the A Terminal that you could be in. The moving walkways are fun :wink:  :lol:

If you go United into/out of ATW/RSW, you might have some "delays" and Midwest is crazy too in ATW. :wink:
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 04:25:53 pm
Best Airports:

Tampa Bay International Airport.

*Organized extremly well, sign are placed perfectly, service was good, no hassles, they even had slippers for you when you take off your shoes :) , easy transport, airplane at the gate 10 minutes early, TONS OF CHAIRS TO SIT IN!!!

-------

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport

*Almost never has delays going out, unless your plane was delayed from destination city (same for arrivals), Check-in is right infront of you, but it gets crowded during the rush hours, lots of good food places in all terminals, massage people :D, Lots of art stuff, but sometimes there are longish lines....

-----------

Worst  airport, ATL.... Won't say much about it.
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 04:37:42 pm
Quote from: "Seattle"

*Almost never has delays going out, unless your plane was delayed from destination city (same for arrivals), Check-in is right infront of you, but it gets crowded during the rush hours, lots of good food places in all terminals, massage people :D, Lots of art stuff, but sometimes there are longish lines....

To completely throw out everything you say about Sea-Tac, I only need to mention one thing.

TSA for Concourse C,D...
The single most disfunctional group of human beings in the world.   PHX(which everyone claims is bad) is by a far cry better than Sea-Tac  C/D

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

OAAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:49:41 pm
Let's see:

MCO - east airsides are nice with good views of 17-35.  Lots of shopping in the main terminal and decent food throughout.  Coming through immigration isn't TOO bad as far as immigration goes.  Security lines can be horrible early in the morning for the 6am-7:30am pushes.
ATL - always seem to go into T with a flight departing 45 minutes later from concourse E (over a mile walk).  Food and shopping is decent, but other than the E concourse, the airport is pretty well rundown.  Immigration is a pain in ATL.  Security lines were terrible pre-9/11 and weren't a whole lot better last time through
FLL - nice little airport if slightly rundown the last time I was there.  Shopping and food are minimal, but so is the crowding.  Also used to have some nice viewing areas along the end of the runways with holes precut in the fence for cameras (guessing that might have been a victim of 9/11  :cry: )
MIA - never much cared for it.  Immigration was a OK - it didn't leave a big impression so it must not have been too bad.  Interesting to drive around the 36th St side of the airport, but I'd much prefer FLL instead.
CDG - immigration was very quick.  Decent shopping inside, nice clean terminals.  However, on my last flight they decided to remote load the 747 using scissor buses, resulting in our being over an hour late for departure.
ORY - The most God-awful mass of humanity I have ever seen.
LGW - immigration was decent, airport is nice inside.  Don't care for the way Virgin flies the approaches, but that's not the airport's fault.
TLV - immigration in was very quick.  Immigration out was everything I expected, but the people were friendly and professional.  Not a lot to do in the airport, but it was one of the best overall airport experiences overseas.
ETH - nice facilities, very little to do.  Approach over the Red Sea in a DHC-7 was most cool
MAN - my best memory is of the concrete beams over the car rental area.  Immigration was quick, but renting a car on Boxing Day is not.
MHT - Nice little airport, decent food, not a lot of shopping outside of the normal newsstand.
SFO - love flying into there, always seems to be a pain coming out.  
OAK - much better choice for the Bay Area, lines aren't quite as bad, but not quite as much to do as SFO
SBA - this is my all time favorite airport.  The building dates back to the 30s and has individual waiting rooms for each gate (also has individual security for each gate since you have to walk along the outside of the building to get from the ticket counter to the gate.  Absolutely nothing to do, maybe one coffee stand in the main lobby, but an airport like none other I've ever been through.
CLE - Nice facilities, used to have an open air observation deck on the top of the airside (don't know if it is still there).  The lines were reasonable and the food and shopping was respectable.
HOU - Nice airport, good food selection, shopping isn't too bad.  Only transferred there, so I don't know about the lines, etc.
CRP - Very clean and small facility.  Not a lot in the way of food or shopping (I think one choice on each), but while I was waiting for someone to arrive there, I noticed that the security line very often had no one waiting. :shock:

I've also been through SLC, RNO, CVG (immigration was quick), DFW, DEN (Stapleton), IND, IAH, BWI, IAD and others that I know I've forgotten.
img]http://www.cbnoble.com/images/OAlogo1.jpg[/img]
Based in MCO, DTW, BOS, SLC - Public World 3
Proud Member of United Sky Group

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 07:50:02 pm
Quote from: "CornField"
Quote from: "Seattle"

To completely throw out everything you say about Sea-Tac, I only need to mention one thing.

TSA for Concourse C,D...
The single most disfunctional group of human beings in the world.   PHX(which everyone claims is bad) is by a far cry better than Sea-Tac  C/D

Well I'm usually in N gates.... so its a different expierence :D
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 08:11:26 pm
bluemage, I can't agree on your comment regarding rome... IMO it's total anarchy.
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

blumage

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 09:50:12 pm
Quote from: "Blue Sky Mine"
bluemage, I can't agree on your comment regarding rome... IMO it's total anarchy.

What has Anarchy to do with this? Anyway if you dont agree with me, you have all the right you want. Like u said it's just opinions. But i still dont get the thing about  anarchy.

ID 5228

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:00:34 pm
The greatest thing about flying from Ireland to the US is that most airlines use the Immigration service here (The US Authorities Have an area in Dublin and Shannon Airports), so when we arrive in the US we just walk past the crowds and collect our bags.  8)
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

blumage

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:14:17 pm
Quote from: "StephenM"
The greatest thing about flying from Ireland to the US is that most airlines use the Immigration service here (The US Authorities Have an area in Dublin and Shannon Airports), so when we arrive in the US we just walk past the crowds and collect our bags.  8)

LOL, they took my picture and my finger prints. I felt like a convict. :lol:

ID 5228

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 10:15:55 pm
Best=DFW

Worst=DTW

blumage

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 10:24:46 pm
Quote from: "nwaboy"
Best=DFW

Worst=DTW

I assure you there are airports that are far better than DFW. Although DFW is Hell of a BIG airport!!!!!Probably one of the biggest.  I cant forget when they chose me to undergo special Security procedure at DFW. HAHAHAHA i went inside this air thingy machine.
Officer(Looking at my boarding pass, notices XXXX under): Oh sir you've been chosen by the airline pass by Special security procedures.
Me: What????????????
I guess it was because i checked in early so i had a lot of free time to be their lab monkey.

ID 5228

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 10:26:47 pm
its second biggest in the US for area:  first is Denver, has the same area as the city of San Francisco.

biggest in the world is in Saudi Arabia, its bigger then Bahrain (which is very close to it)

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 10:29:18 pm
Airports can be such a mixed bag...

London Heathrow
As a non-EU resident, the immigration upon arrival is a long wait.  Baggage reclaim and meeting point are extremely cramped.  For departing, had to wait ages at check-in once but on all other occasions it's been smooth so I've been very lucky.  I turned up 3 hours before the flight and end up having to wait 2 hours for the gate to open because I was done!  Shops are plentiful and some needs to be demolished in the departure area to create more space for waiting passengers.  Transport is extortionately expensive unless you take the tube which takes 40 minutes to Piccadilly Circus (Central London) on a good day.  Other parts of the country seems well linked by long distance coaches.

London Gatwick
I arrived at Gatwick South Terminal at 0630 in the morning.  There was no line at all at immigration so it was fast! :D  Luggage area is far more spacious than Heathrow.

Helsinki-Vantaa, Finland
Modern, smallish airport.  Arrival was smooth and the Finnair Citybus to the city is fast and comfortable.  The terminal seems quite new but is already at capacity.  When I departed, it was extremely crowded, departure area packed full of people.  Finland is also the most expensive country I've been yet.

Dubai, USE
Magnificent and cavernous building.  Had no problems with the service and the building simply takes your breath away.  The seats were a little dirty though.  There is a lack of a rail link to the city if I recall correct.

Narita Airport, Tokyo
Long arrival immigration queues for ALIENS  :shock: .  Takes 1 hour by train to Central Tokyo and I only consider the commuter trains run by Keisei "affordable".  Terminal 1 is fairly spacious but check-in for T2 is as cramped as Heathrow.

Xiamen Gaoqi Airport, China
Small but modern and clean with lots of metal and natural light.  Hardly any queues for check-in and immigration.  Also very spacious.

Manila Ninoy Aquino Airport
Terminal 1 is a dump.  It's a magnificient building which is poorly cleaned.  Long immigration wait.  Terminal 2 (PAL) is much better.  At least flights left right on time the last few times I used it.

Caticlan Airport. Philippines
The gateway to the resort island of Boracay.  Scariest flight of my life coming in on an Asian Spirit DHC-7 on the puny runway!  If I had come a year earlier, it would have been a dirt strip!  The airport is a lovely little building, very rural Philippine style with no drainage.  It was completely flooded when I arrived!  Not the best but probably the coolest airport I've been to.

Hong Kong International - KAI TAK
The check-in area was actually spacious but the building was bursting at its seams when it came to handling the traffic in the 90s.  The service was decent and there were a few places to eat and a few shops.  The lack of space meant a lack of immigration desks thus long waits clearing security.  Your aircraft would almost always be on an outer bay (the furthest being some 2km from the terminal!) and boarding via the gate is a novelty!  Seats and space in departure area lacking and the meeting point absolutely packed on arrival.  It was a very novel airport especially with the checkerboard approach but it needed to go.

Hong Kong International - Chek Lap Kok
The best saved for the last, and I'm grateful this is also my home!  Excellent terminal building with lots of light and space.  Check in and immigration is efficient and plenty of shops.  The terminal has plenty of seats throughout.  The only airport I've been where you don't get ripped off on food - you get the standard Hong Kong fastfood at pretty much city prices!  Arriving is also a breeze.  The new Terminal 2 is pretty nice but not as good as the original.  It is well linked to the city - by world standards.  By HK standards, 50 minutes by bus to the "City" is a long trip and the speed limiter kicks in at a lucklustre 70km/h.  The Airport Express does the trip in 24 minutes and is cheap by world standards - but expensive by HK standards!

The biggest architectural flaw is how you have to go down 4 levels on a very slow escalator to take the shuttle train for the outer gates!  I usually just walk it and it's a very long (but fun) walk!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk