Airline Mogul Forum

Why would anyone want to become a broker???

pocketbookbrando

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: December 30, 2007, 09:48:40 am
I was thinking about this today.  Why would anyone want to become a pretend middleman for pretend airlines in a pretend airplane game?  Isn't that becoming a little abstract?  Perhaps next we'll have pretend copier repairmen who service the pretend copiers of the pretend brokerage that brokers pretend deals for pretend airlines.  Anyone else puzzled by this?

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:51:01 am
im puzzled :?

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:52:13 am
Ask GAG :wink:
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:07:55 am
Quote from: "pocketbookbrando"
I was thinking about this today.  Why would anyone want to become a pretend middleman for pretend airlines in a pretend airplane game?  Isn't that becoming a little abstract?  Perhaps next we'll have pretend copier repairmen who service the pretend copiers of the pretend brokerage that brokers pretend deals for pretend airlines.  Anyone else puzzled by this?

Because when the game gets boring and you don't want to update 200+ routes every day, you need something else to do.

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:15:31 am
great answer, MrOrange. :D

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 01:20:17 pm
Because you want to provide a service to the world :wink:
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 02:04:17 pm
Quote from: "MrOrange"

Because when the game gets boring and you don't want to update 200+ routes every day, you need something else to do.

I had 600 routes last round  :roll: I didnt have enough time to edit

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 04:19:01 pm
If you want your money back from the middle man here you go :p http://www.giveortake.com/
:lol: not sure if they accept aircraft purchases though

pocketbookbrando

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:43:16 pm
I still don't get it.  If being a broker is a backup to playing because there's no point to playing anymore, how is being a broker any better?  Leasing/buying pretend airplanes in something that isn't even a game at that point seems like of like a child pretending to be an accountant.  At that point, shouldn't you just read a book, go out with friends or watch paint dry instead?

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:47:06 pm
Why would anyone waste time indoors coding a game which he gets no financial benefit out of? ;)  That someone surely must have a rather dull and pointless life and should just go out and watch paint dry. :D

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 11:15:27 pm
I still don't get it.  If being a broker is a backup to playing because there's no point to playing anymore, how is being a broker any better?  Leasing/buying pretend airplanes in something that isn't even a game at that point seems like of like a child pretending to be an accountant.  At that point, shouldn't you just read a book, go out with friends or watch paint dry instead?

1. I still have time to go out with friends, I don't particularly like to paint and I read too much books already for college.

2. A child pretending to be an accountant is not really a situation you can compare with being a broker. TBH, it's one of the worst possible comparisons you can make. A child pretending to be an accountant operates within a completely different context, quite likely doesn't have as much interaction with the outside world and is much less limited to his/her functions as accountant, simply because there is no definition for what being an accountant really is when you're a kid. As broker, you're operating in a context that's distinctly more real-life-business like, which can even be considered as educational for some, and you get a chance to actually do something for the people who play this game. I don't quite understand how you can not get that simple point. Maybe you don't see the use, but in that case, go read a book, go out with friends, apply some paint so I can watch it dry, and don't play this game either. Being a broker, leasing/buying pretend airplanes as you nicely put it, is in many respects the same as playing AM, but it is much more dynamic and extensive.

3. Being a broker is better than playing (when there's no point to playing) because it substitutes the main game functions with a completely different game function, which will a) make the game interesting for a longer time, b) create a good use for a website without any function and c) give you something to do that's not as non-dynamic (don't know the word) as the game after a couple of years.

mavalenzu

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 11:50:28 pm
you get free planes

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 12:48:38 am
Just want to point out playing is pretending to be an airline CEO, and in reality responding to meaningless data and inputing meaning data to the computer somewhere in the world to generate more meaningless data for you to respond to. What is the difference of being a broker?
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 01:23:17 am
People think we are some kind of gods because we are brokers  :D

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 01:27:53 am
Quote from: "dktc"
Just want to point out playing is pretending to be an airline CEO, and in reality responding to meaningless data and inputing meaning data to the computer somewhere in the world to generate more meaningless data for you to respond to. What is the difference of being a broker?

dex wins this thread
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk