Your Worst Flight Ever

blue25 · 77 · 12547

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 04:01:53 am
With Qatar Airways.

5 hours "domestic" that flew over at least 5 countries from Tunis, Tunisia to Doha, Qatar. Cattle class is the same (or maybe worse than) the UA fleet. Ground crews are very unfriendly and unhelpful in both TUN and DOH.

In Tun, the check in lady (not the Tunisia Air personnel, real QR ground crew in uniform) didn't know how to check our group in and did so with snail pace then told our tour guide that "the counter opens at 10, you should have been there before so", while our flight departs at 1315.

In DOH, the gate personnel screamed and ordered us to board the plane at 0020 while the boarding time for the plane was 0040, with departure at 0115 (DOH-HKG). When we told him we have to wait for our friends, he said the gates would close at 10 mins and none of us would get on the plane. When I told him the plane is scheduled to start boarding at 0040 (as opposed to gate closed at 0030), he said the gate would close and we won't get on the plane. He basically threathen us. I am writing to complain to QR, but saw this thread, so my 2 cents on the "5-star" :roll: airline.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 04:25:41 am
Your the only person I've ever heard say they had a bad expeireince with QR! :shock:

btw, the final destination was MSP...I like DEN better then ORD...
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

Triple_7

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 08:17:51 am
I apologize now for the book...I couldn't sleep :oops:

Wouldn't know where to begin on this one.  I've been on several flights, several airlines, and many aircraft anywhere from the tiny Jetstream J-31 to the 747-400...even had a trip on good ol TWA when I was about 13....But the worst flight...I'd have to go with my most recent ones.  Never again will I ever fly Malaysia Airlines :|

Dates in my sig as well as the routes.  This trip was to visit a good friend of mine who lives in Taiwan.  She came here as an exchange student and lived with a friend right across the street...very convenient I might add...long story how that went :D  So anyways I promised her before she left that I would come and visit.  Took a year but I pulled it off.  Spent a wonderful 2.5 weeks in that beautiful country.  But it was getting there and back that was a real adventure.

Began just like any other trip, get to my favorite airport FWA and check in.  This time DFW was my first stop, had a long 5 hour layover then onto LAX...or so I thought, boarded the AA 757-200WL, I was tired but happy to be on my first winglet 757 even though it was to dark for pictures.  We taxi out with the safety demo just like a normal departure, but when we reach the runway I heard the engines shut down, due to runway closed down at LAX we had an hour ground delay.  I was expecting a tight connection at LAX anyways now I was thinking that I was screwed.  Lucky with ground delay they allowed cell phones, got numbers for both American and Malaysia airlines and tried to find out what happens if I was to miss the flight.  Theres many flights between LAX & TPE but only one MH flight a day.  Basic story I got was that if missed I would be re-routed "somehow" and it wouldn't be direct :?  At some point in there we taxied back to the terminal as someone had forgot to fill the water tanks :roll:  

Eventually made it into LAX and ran to the disaster area known as the Tom Bradley terminal.  Took forever just to figure out where the MH line was.  Checked in and was told to hurry.  Of course security lines are only a mile long in that place.  I was still a little ways back in the line when my flight should have been boarding.  Make it through the line about a minute before its supposed to push back and run as fast as my legs would allow to the gate only to find the nose of a Cathay 747 staring at me instead of a Malaysia 747...great...missed the flight...or not.  Found out from a lady at the desk my flight had been moved to another gate clear at the other end of the terminal...but it was still supposedly on time.  Ran down there and to my relief I found a MH 747-400.  Flight was delayed about 1/2 hour.  

Then came the pain...mind you it had already been about 14 hours since I boarded my first flight in Fort Wayne.  We finally began boarding, made my way back to row 46, seat K (window), and began to realize picking MH was a mistake.  Both my seat mates were already there, both had to get up to let me in.  I could barely squeeze over to my seat, then sat down to find it rather firm and uncomfortable.  I'm long legged as well and my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me.  All I could think about was trying to find a somewhat comfortable spot and sleep.  After a long, heavy takeoff and climb, seatbelt sign off, drinks, seats could go back...they have a GREAT recline I have to say...unfortunately it all goes into the guy behind you.  The guy in front of me used his recline to full crunching my already cramped legs, I literally couldn't move them as they were pinned between his seat back and the edge of mine.  After an hour I finally managed to pass out...woke up a couple hours later to find we still had about 10 more to go.  Decided to try the entertainment system....got nothing...they announced later there was a problem with it and were sorry it would not be available.  Thank god for being 18 at the time and over international waters...had a couple beers and finally managed to pass out again.  Woke up with about 5 hours left and couldn't go back to sleep, sun was beginning to rise anyways.  Stayed awake the rest of the flight, about 2 hours out we were served a meal.  I have to admit...as pathetic as MH's economy is they have some of the best airline food I've ever had.  We landed at last after a LONG 14.5 hours on that bird.  I went to stand up and fell back into my seat, my legs were on strike.  Took a couple times to get the blood going again but managed to get off the plane.  Took a whopping 10 minutes to legally enter Taiwan...5 of that was walking from the gate :shock:  Total time from gear up at FWA to legally in Taiwan approx 29 hours, lost a day...arrived morning of August 1st.

4 days before my return we took a trip around the island, did some mountain hiking, simply beautiful country.  My last night her brother and a friend took me to a bar since I was legal over there.  Not like the 21 age limit stops me here at home...just cant go to the bar.  I can hold alcohol well, 3 glasses of beer is nothing to me...but whatever was in the shot glasses they dropped in those 3 beers did me in...I've NEVER had a hangover...most I've ever had after getting that drunk is just a slight headache.  For some reason this time I woke up the next morning with a head ready to explode.  Spent the day trying to shake it off.  Managed to get packed up and ready to go.  Night finally arrived and my flight was to depart around 9:15 PM.  

After a long goodbye I made my way to the gate....during my stay over there the liquid ban had taken place and what I didn't know was that once I cleared the special checkpoint at my gate I could not go back out.  I had to stay in the holding area.  I was about an hour early anyways so all I could do was wait.  No longer had my pop or water that was originally in my carry on.  Getting quite thirsty, its 9:15 and we still have no aircraft or even crew.  Delayed...look over and see a pop machine...oh joy :D  dug out a few of my Taiwanese coins I wasn't planing to save but forgot to exchange.  Walked over to find a note saying it could not be used thanks to the liquid ban...great :cry:   Water fountain...out of order...of course it is...why wouldn't it be :roll:

Dying of thirst our delay turned into over an hour.  Finally board and once again make my way to a cramped window seat in row 43 this time.  luckily they served drinks before push back along with the hot towels.  Thirst quenched, legs cramped, thoughts of the flight over running through my head, and the end of the hangover headache splitting my head we make it out for another incredibly long takeoff.  Supper was definitely the best airline food I've had...chicken something.  Entertainment system actually worked this time and I found the country music station.  With a couple drinks and a full belly I was out like a light for almost half the flight.  Woke up to no headache and actually was kind of in a good mood, the guy in front didn't use his recline to its fullest so I could still feel my legs a little  :D  Watched a couple movies, then came breakfast, or lunch, not sure what you could call it really.  Same options as the supper but they were prepared different...the chicken once again blew my taste buds away.  Managed to get a second meal this time, seat mate didn't want his...traded my fruit dish for his main coarse :lol:   It was a father and daughter on their way back home from Malaysia.  Quite friendly people really.  Pretty decent flight other then the horribly cramped seating.  Kind of strange to land at LAX 3 hours before you even departed TPE :roll:

Then came the ever so fun process of re-entering the US.  Mind you it only took a couple minute to clear Taiwan customs as a FOREIGNER....took me over 2.5 hours of standing in lines then dealing with rude customs agents who really don't seem to care if your alive or dead.  After the first check point had to pick up my checked bag and lug it to a couple more check points...it was overweight...and after a 14 hour flight its the last thing you want to try to lug around.  FINALLY I was a legal and found the drop off point for my checked bag.  I still can't believe how things are, 5 MINUTES to enter Taiwan but 2.5 HOURS to legally re-enter the US as a CITIZEN :x  And LAX staff is just SO friendly and helpful like they say on the website :roll:  One airport I never want to see again...EVER...Or at least not Tom Bradly terminal...The livestock I work with is treated better than that :!:

Got checked in with AA again and made my way through their security.  Found some food and tried to relax...still had about 3 hours before my flight to ORD.  I found it delayed by 15 minutes when I arrived in the AA terminal but no big deal.  Ate, walked around, then found a seat where I could see my gates jet way.  Midnight rolls in, should be boarding, no aircraft at the gate yet.  Eventually that 15 minute delay turned into almost an extra hour before an aircraft even pulled up to the gate.  Original scheduled time was 11:55 PM...it was nearly 1:45 AM before we finally lifted off.  My layover in Chicago was only supposed to be an hour and 20 minutes.  Lucky for winds we made up some of the lost time.  Got off in Chicago and thought there was no way to make the next flight.  Flight should have already had doors closed.  Got to the gate and found yet another delay of 20 minutes.  Call home and let them know.  We were waiting on the aircraft to get in from somewhere else.  Finally it pulls up 30 minutes late.  They unload but then the lady at the desks starts boarding a flight to Kentucky :o  They too were using an ERJ-145 that morning.  Our gate was moved, delay turned into over an hour.  Finally boarded our little group going to FWA.  50 seat ERJ...total bodies on board including pilots and attendant...9 :lol:  She told us to sit where ever we pleased and even served a quick drink before push back.  Pushed back in Chicago about the same time we should have been hitting the ground at FWA.  Great flight though...lots of leg room, all the pop you could down in that short flight.  Your only in the air at max 30 minutes on that flight...quick climb and quick decent.   3 flights and 3 delays...instead of the planned 25 hours to get home it actually took a little over 30 :oops:

And that puts an end to that book.  Its 3 AM here and I cant sleep...my mind decided to ramble all that off :cry:
ast Real Flight...Taiwan 2006...July 30th Through August 19th...FWA-DFW-LAX-TPE.....TPE-LAX-ORD-FWA.

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 08:24:19 am
ok...um...:lol:

gizgiz

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 08:52:18 am
Continental, MCO to YYZ.

Was (edit: after) a blizzard, but still they handled it terribly. For an airline based out of an airport that does receive snowfall in the winter, it was an unexcusable catastrophe. Somehow, we landed at CLE, stayed for 3 hours in this horrible excuse for an inn (which CO suggested was GOOD), got back on the plane, terrible pilot, landing on ice (YYZ's fault that one) and finding our luggage on an AC flight in from ORD.

It never added up.
[20:28] <Jps> your still a w****r with your new sig
[20:36] <gizgiz> you know what? this channel is hopeless
[20:36] *** gizgiz was kicked from #AirlineMogul by Jps [Just get lost.]

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 09:43:22 am
At least you got an inn, gizgiz.

I got stranded in IND 2 weeks ago for 26 hours with only a distressed customer voucher which translated into about $20 discount at an inn :roll:
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 09:45:45 am
my friend was flying BDA-MSP on Continental, got stranded overnight in EWR, had to stay at a hotel :)

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 10:53:17 am
@Triple7: But what was so bad about Malaysia? This rather sounded as if your experiences with US ground staff weren't quite that good :lol:

Flight experience itself must have been Jetstar from Brisbane to Cairns. Dirty, uncomfortable plane, rude fb's, pilots didn't care for the plane...

Worst overall experience was Lufthansa HAJ-FRA-LHR (and back)

HAJ-FRA everything was ok, flight arrived on time. Should have been a tight connection, 7 houers delay :evil:  :evil:

Flight back got stuck in the chaos at LHR... set on the tarmac for two houers and then missed the connection flight from FRA to HAJ (was the last flight that day) at last LH rebooked us on the flight from FRA to HAM from where we took a taxi back to HAJ where our car was parked.
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

blumage

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 12:06:48 pm
My worst Flight was LAX-DFW and also DFW-LAX both flights we're ridiculously late and overbooked. It was an AA flight and I must say it was one of the worst in terms of staff friendliness and service. I was expecting more from AA. Maybe because I took a CX flight prior to the LAX-DFW.

Another bad flight was Rome-Milan on board Alitalia. The Airline's name tells u everything there is no need to comment.

ID 5228
And if we like to over do things just Imagine what is like to be our Guest!
Proud Member of BlueSkies

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 12:55:28 pm
Quote from: "blumage"
My worst Flight was LAX-DFW and also DFW-LAX both flights we're ridiculously late and overbooked. It was an AA flight and I must say it was one of the worst in terms of staff friendliness and service. I was expecting more from AA. Maybe because I took a CX flight prior to the LAX-DFW.

Another bad flight was Rome-Milan on board Alitalia. The Airline's name tells u everything there is no need to comment.

There you go! AA is the problem :lol:
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 03:04:43 pm
Quote from: "gizgiz"
Continental, MCO to YYZ.

Was (edit: after) a blizzard, but still they handled it terribly. For an airline based out of an airport that does receive snowfall in the winter, it was an unexcusable catastrophe. Somehow, we landed at CLE, stayed for 3 hours in this horrible excuse for an inn (which CO suggested was GOOD), got back on the plane, terrible pilot, landing on ice (YYZ's fault that one) and finding our luggage on an AC flight in from ORD.

It never added up.

I won't defend their behavior but.....
IAH doesn't recieve snowfall.....(CO HQ is in Houston)
But you probably landed at CLE, becuase it was the closest CO base to your route.  MCO to YYZ....  Would you have rather gone to EWR??????

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 03:56:41 pm

Oh yeah, I could add every flight I've ever taken on that airline to my list of negatives as well... :x
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

blumage

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 04:59:35 pm
Quote from: "Blue Sky Mine"

Oh yeah, I could add every flight I've ever taken on that airline to my list of negatives as well... :x

I pretty understand you It's no wonder to me that nobody flies Alitalia , unless the ticket is cheap or it's their only choice. All my Flights have been dreadful with this airline.Poor service, rude flight crew,poor communication skills (I hardly understood what they say in English, How can the ICAO allow that?) and now to everybody's amazement the airline is in debt. I heard they loose about 1Million € a day.  :shock:

ID 5228

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 05:16:58 pm

I pretty understand you It's no wonder to me that nobody flies Alitalia , unless the ticket is cheap or it's their only choice. All my Flights have been dreadful with this airline.Poor service, rude flight crew,poor communication skills (I hardly understood what they say in English, How can the ICAO allow that?) and now to everybody's amazement the airline is in debt. I heard they loose about 1Million € a day.  :shock:

And they are merging with another airline :wink:
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

blumage

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 05:35:20 pm
Quote from: "blue25"

And they are merging with another airline :wink:

Not really merging. They say Air France-KLM wants to buy it. They will for sure lay off a lot of employees. And they say that Rome FCO is going to be their Hub.

ID 5228

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk