Airline Mogul Forum

Game Reset and First Stage of Multiworlds

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
on: December 17, 2007, 08:52:35 pm
To co-incide with the 2nd Birthday of Airline Mogul, we have decided to organise a reset for the 22nd of December 2007. This will mean the new round will start on the 23rd of December, 2 years since Airline Mogul first opened. This is to be done for a variety of reasons.  People have said the game has gotten saturated and would like a fresh start. This round will be a 5 [game] year round.

The reset will allow the first stage of Multiworlds to be released. In this we will introduce the following;
  • An activation e-mail for all users to cut down on multiple account issues
  • Provide more information on registering about the steps to starting in Airline Mogul, along with details of when to login
  • Allow the next stage of Multiworlds to begin.
  • Several steps taken to slow down the economy of the game
The game will be reset and to a date not yet decided. We will probably use the data from the poll on this issue located here.

EDIT: To those wondering why we have taken the action to establish a premature reset [From Air Elbonia]:

Player frustration is an issue, yes, but it wasn't a strong decision to reset on this alone. There's one critical step in the chain of things we need to do to get multiworlds rolled out... and it's, unfortunately, a very big one which shakes the game down to its core. We have to revamp how we store an airlines information [cash, name, code, this sort of thing] as well as how we store the users information [email, login, password, this sort of thing]. Stephen and I are very eager to get it out, and get it bug tested in full.  We will be doing our best along the way to bug test it, with the help of some of the moderators and brokers but time has told us inevitably we'll miss some. Looking at the stage the game is at, and the massive amount of very delicate information we'd need to balance to implement this mid-age on a live game... we knew we weren't going to get it right the first time [and likely were going to lose data, frustrate players, break the age... basically. everything we best hope to avoid]. With a fresh age, the operation becomes a little simpler, as we need to juggle less information [as the cash, value become uniform], which we hope will reduce bugs.

We'd hate to hurt any individual player by simply completely ruining their account at such a well developed point in the game. We'd hate to ruin an age for everyone, even worse, by inadvertently, and generally otherwise without warning, destroying it with a bug or botched modification on such an important and delicate part of the game.

It was a hard decision, but Stephen and I decided it was best we get this new batch of back end updates out as soon as feasible so they can be tested out and we can move on with multiworlds sooner. The fact that the game is over saturated, the large players are having issues with managing their massive airlines, and my personal flub giving everyone 1.5 billion accidentally as well as being unable to rectify it properly, helped tip the balance as to the timing of when we announced this and what we had planned, however were not the main cause in any way as to why we decided to end this age prematurely.

We know our timing is terrible. The holidays is a busy time for everyone, and everyone is focused on family, friends, and [at times] rampant commercialized spending sprees. There's little we can do to help this, at the moment, as (as I said earlier), we need to get this bug-tested out while we hit the next big step in multiworlds completed.

Stephen, Balint, and myself love this game as much as any player, and wish to our best to preserve its fun and interest for every player throughout an age. We know we're human, we know what we can do, what we probably can do, and what we can't... in the end, unfortunately, this upgrade was just too important to wait for, and the array of upgrades to slow the economy is more or less in position that we felt comfortable enough to start the next age on this upgrade.

My deepest apologies to anyone who feels ripped off by our premature ending of the age. We hope for a smooth transition between the new and old code in this area, and hope everyone has enjoyed the 50s as both a learning experience as well as simply as a fun time. To the new players who are worried that all their hard work will be destroyed, unfortunately yes. when the age changes over your existing airline will be reset, but take comfort in the fact that the #1 airline will also be reset to the same level footing. Also, try not to feel it was in vein to start late, hopefully you've picked up the game enough that with a fresh start on an open new world you can pass this age's best and take number 1 for your own.

Edited by Pacific for spelling and grammar. :D
Edited by Air Elbonia for factual correction.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Hampo

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:03:25 pm
Although I'm pleased to hear the reset, would it not be more appropriate to start the reset after the new year?

The main reason being is many people will be extremely busy over Christmas with little time to play at this crucial part of the game.

I, for one will not have enough time 'needed' to establish a good few routes.

Sam  :D

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:23:32 pm
Later reset = delaying mutli worlds I'm afraid.

If I was ready I'd reset tonight. :D
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

NIKO

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:32:45 pm
hmmm.....

I like the sound of multiworlds  :D

Pilgrim

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:01:00 pm
honesly, the 22nd is a terrible date. People are busy with friends/family, rushing around, and starting a new round at that time will mean people who can't log in then will get shafted honestly. Jan 1st would seem a much better idea. Or, do reset on the 22nd, just dont start the round until Jan 1st or something, give everyone time to get set up, like at the beginning of this round?

Though i would really prefer leaving this round until was to finish in 1960... i know im in the minority.

NIKO

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:09:22 pm
what no AM on my christmas holidays!!. (joke)

oh well i can understand why people will be busy organising for christmas and so on.

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:00:42 pm
multiworlds!  Finally!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

and this is perfect, now i havve time to start my airline over break!

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 11:25:49 pm
Quote from: "nwaboy"
multiworlds!  Finally!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

and this is perfect, now i havve time to start my airline over break!

nope. not fully :(

This is the last major backend modification before we can get the grunt work on multiworlds done.  Once this step [which is almost finished] is complete, all that's left to get multiworlds going is primarily changing a lot of names in files, which is tedious but relatively work unintensive.  After all those names are changed we can get parallel worlds [multiworlds] going, and after a little more effort again, we can get it up and running in its near final form [where worlds are automatically generated, and rather flexible].

When multiworlds is complete, 100% for the main public games that is, we'll probably kick it off with a flurry of 1 year games at once at the onset to show off a bit of what it can do.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Welcome Aboard Virgin America
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 01:36:05 am
Will the start up plane still be a DC-3???

sla31

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 02:01:05 am
Oh, gosh I hope not.  Please No!!!!!!!
Bryce Rea

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 02:11:14 am
Quote from: "sla31"
Oh, gosh I hope not.  Please No!!!!!!!

dktc and I are trying to push forward something "crapper" than DC-3 to slow down the game economy.  We have disagreements over the level of "crappiness" however.

My suggestion was a 14 seater which does 230kt with a range of 1900nm.  dktc wants a 15 seater which does 130knots with a range of under 400nm.  It all doesn't matter however as it's Stephen who makes the final choice.  However, this was if the game starts in the 1960s.

I'd still want something in the lines of 15 seats and 200+kt as a starter.

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 05:26:50 am
Hooray!~ The thing that I have been looking for(also ALFC) can now come true!

------

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 05:33:52 am
Wait a second, I suggest that we end this round on 19th because 24~48 hours means 3-4 days in AM! If you guys can't finish the work on time, we won't be able to celebrate the anniversary of AM! Just want to celebrate this!

------

Scandalian Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 08:01:18 am
With a reset before Xmas I will have to skip next round as I will miss the first 7 game months...
img]http://www.lsn.se/televisionset/ScandalianAnimated.gif[/img]
Your skyrocket to elsewhere

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 08:59:23 am
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
After all those names are changed we can get parallel worlds [multiworlds] going, and after a little more effort again, we can get it up and running in its near final form [where worlds are automatically generated, and rather flexible].

Is the completion date still targeted for February 2008? If so, how will it be implemented in-round? Edited to add: Gah. I need to read stuff more carefully. This next round will only last 5 years.

When multiworlds is complete, 100% for the main public games that is, we'll probably kick it off with a flurry of 1 year games at once at the onset to show off a bit of what it can do.

That will be fun! :D

Can you provide us with more information on what changes are being made to slow down the game?

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk