Airline Mogul Forum

Pricing and resultant wars...

crabking

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: December 15, 2007, 05:02:07 am
Something I've noticed after turning into some big airline (boooo!) is the whole $1 wars and such.

I wonder - is there any way planned or possible to average things out?  You drop your price a buck, wait for your competitor to come around and do the same, repeat....encourages micromanaging and time expense over good ol' route fun.

Not really complaining - price of doing bidness - but I can't see customers going hogwild over a buck IRL.  

Any sort of fuzzy logic in the works?

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:04:06 am
I'm working on ways, if i come up with something it'll be implemented for next age, however most of my time is tied up on multiworlds and a few other important (though smaller) tasks. :oops: really wish i had a better fuzzylogic engine in there to smooth it a little bit.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 05:13:49 am
Well, I think you can always send a message to that airline and try to talk things out, I think that there is a fair amount of airlines out there who would be more than happy to deal things out than make a fare war.

crabking

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 05:18:03 am
If I could code/think worth a damn, I'd do this - vaguely speaking...joys of never getting enough sleep:

Brand-name value of airline - length of time it's been around, number of routes, number of passengers, possibly with a cost/profit thing thrown in.  Cheat a little on the numbers here and there to as to favor the extreme ends of the curve - Southwest and, say, Alaska Airlines both get equal weighting initially - size of company or price advantage.  Progressively start averaging things out to middle of spectrum with each rollover update to profits et al.  Same as new route advantage I've read about, I guess.  My crap assumption is that ultimately the long-run players and the neophytes ripping off the current 'system' would eventually balance out and have to behave economically.

Plane age/route frequency - I'm guessing vaguely it can be tied to turn time frequency, maybe?  More turns - more whacks.  People running huge freqs or old planes or just 50 routes experience degraded performance from their machines; value loss, profit loss, pax loss.  Older means less efficient.  I don't think it's be too hard to crumble in some quick - albeit painful - adjustments there.

Otherwise, this game is far too fun.  Probably not explained the best - I am eclectic, for that, my apologies.

crabking

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 05:20:41 am
Quote from: "LOT 737-300"
Well, I think you can always send a message to that airline and try to talk things out, I think that there is a fair amount of airlines out there who would be more than happy to deal things out than make a fare war.

Thing is - noted this on tons of routes - there just isn't any negotiation to be had; adjust prices or your route figures go down with a few bucks difference.  Even running the same prices you often have to undercut because it's the only way to see a high (if not 100%) loadfactor and the profits you're counting on with that route and a 30 mil plane.  So - either too sharp a curve for customer preference with pricing or not loose enough with overall competition for pax, I suppose - but not something that can be negotiated when a dollar literally means the difference between 100% figures or 15%.

On 150k/day routes - that's a big thing.

pocketbookbrando

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 07:02:05 pm
"Well, I think you can always send a message to that airline and try to talk things out, I think that there is a fair amount of airlines out there who would be more than happy to deal things out than make a fare war."

You can be sued or go to jail for doing things like this in real life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk