How long...?

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: December 09, 2007, 02:55:35 pm
Quote from: "gagahput3ra"
Quote from: "travismb99"
I've been at it two days and still haven't broken $50,000 DOP.  :cry:

is it really that hard?  :shock: i mean, i made 1 million DOP in just 2 days.... :?

Depends on your airport.
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

DAK

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: December 09, 2007, 02:56:13 pm
I am banging my head against the wall.....

I get a profit of 600.000 out of 6 DC3's in one hour enough to buy 10 more of them in one day meaning day 2 will give me a profit of 2 million per hour more then you will ever get out of 2 measly Comets...

A Comet will never give you 600.000 profit!!!!!!!, let alone 1 million per hour.

Math is easy if you know how to multiply....

This game is not about frequencies, seating capacity, jets vs props; it is about DOP!!!!!

FLY SHORT ROUTES, LEASE LOADS OF DC3'S AND FILL YOUR SLOTS, THEN BUY THEM

I managed to get to 9Billion in less then 4 weeks doing this; it works.....

KISS: Keep it Simple Stupid

dak.

myefre

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 03:33:38 pm
With the help of 5 of my childhood imaginary friends I reached DOP of 1 million the first hour.  :twisted:

{Note: the above is a complete lie  :P }

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 10:11:54 pm
ok, fine.  get some dc-3's and get a good dop started.  then you get rid of the dc-3's by any means possible and get a bunch of comet-3's.

you do know you cant do short routes forever.  if i took my fleet of comets and started to compete against your dc-3's on the same routes you wouldn't have a chance. :)

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: December 09, 2007, 10:14:25 pm
Thing is, you can start off quite well with DC-3's but as soon as you hit competition, they get useless and you need something bigger.

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 10:16:14 pm
go MrOrange!  He said exactly what i said in fewer words.  now my point is proved, DAK.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: December 09, 2007, 10:21:43 pm
:lol: In a strange way, most players don't get some basic things in this game. In the previous round (2000-2007) there were loads of start-up airlines leasing 767-300's for 10 million per month, who were actually surprised they didn't stay in the black. If they had leased 5 737-400's, they would have done so much better. On the other hand, had they leased 20 ATR's, they would have been in even bigger trouble :)

travismb99

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:06 pm
The problem is, I chose a bad base, probably. Fairbanks.

I have four planes (1x DC3, 3x leased Otters) and I still can't make $50k DOP.

But I'm not really interested in basing anywhere outside North America, and basically every single possible place to base is taken.

I think I'm just going to give up and shut down my airline until the next reset. It's too super-saturated to make a go of it from now. :?
acific Southwest Airlines - W10 - Catch our smile - ICAO:PS/#8304

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: December 09, 2007, 10:27:01 pm
Wouldn't do that if I were you. Think of it as part of the challenge. Which in fact it is, so there shouldn't be trouble thinking it. I just re-entered the busiest part of Europe, and I'm doing pretty well. I know there is a little difference between our situations, but still. Search for missing pieces in routes, ask larger Fairbanks-based airlines for some help - I'm sure there are some nice people around there :) - and see what you can do.

travismb99

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: December 09, 2007, 10:45:55 pm
I just asked for a reset. Not worth struggling along as it was. I'll try a new base.
acific Southwest Airlines - W10 - Catch our smile - ICAO:PS/#8304

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 02:32:35 am
fairbanks was probably the best choice for a hub in north america :roll:

try moving somewhere else, like africa or middle east.

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 02:45:08 am
move to Eastern Russia. UUS, VVO, KHB, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: December 10, 2007, 08:15:38 am
Quote from: "Seattle"
move to Eastern Russia. UUS, VVO, KHB, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.

For the last mentioned one: I would not do that. PK is located on a bad end for a startup airline. As a second hub it is ok but for your first base it would be a lousy point to start from. Competition is pretty hard on the short routes. I did not think that it would be that way when I created the my base here. All you can make profit from is long haul. So as long as you dont own a/c that can fly such routes dont come here.
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

gagahput3ra

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 08:40:40 am
Quote from: "nwaboy"
fairbanks was probably the best choice for a hub in north america :roll:

try moving somewhere else, like africa or middle east.

what the heck!!!  :shock:

Don't move to africa or i will make sure you lost in the middle of the dessert  :evil:
img]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3166/gwebsair21nm8.png[/img]
GweBS Air[BS]. A New Life Is Here.
BlueSkies Members
Official Partners Of Fly Luso, Czech International Airlines, Asian Connection & Fly Mogul

suntoucher

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 10:22:17 am
It's all interesting but alot of the arguments seem to be based at early times, I'm lucky I started outside of Europe personally, almost did in Greece. Better half started in Europe two days after me and I've been helping out but aside from zero gates. DC-3's are basically useless due to the fact that there's nil range and can carry few people. On the other hand (I've been getting Martin 202's and Comet 2/3's on mine, leased a 202 on hers) faster planes with more range and carry more people have been doing quite well, partly because the leased 202 is reaching the Middle East. I'm currently based in Dubai but saying start up two bases is easier said than done, squeezed out a 150k base luckily today but I've only just been able to afford it due to necessity(Dubai ran out of gates, stuck with the original 2). On top of that, although 600k on 6 DC-3's sounds good on paper. it's basically impossible now, as well as taking up vital slots on the gates, unavailable to buy now. And naturally as she's making 150k DOP on her second day, she can't afford a terminal. Hell I just hit the 1.1mil mark and I still can't afford a terminal hence the new base. Although I've found the two active contenders in the Middle East(and another active but not really a contender, just been going a while) is generally being left in the dust by me as they're making about 200k DOP. The Connie although making an overall lower profit for it's cost, is making a fifth of my current DOP and only takes up 2 slots at most. Something vital until I can afford my own terminal. So although it's a good tip to say go for the smaller routes with the cheaper planes, unless you're in the middle of Asia(probably the last place left with zero planes on some routes aside from Intercontinental's) DC-3's are Moot(Plus lease on a DC-3 is 190k while lease on a 202 is only just over double that and although makes just less profit total profit, has about 20 more airports available from home base, a large figure considering all the starters and as you said, larger airlines with DC-3's are taking all the under 1500NM route gates and the fact that less gates are required.
img]http://www.freewebs.com/originalsuntoucher/70s%20logo.jpg[/img]
Suntoucher Incorporated - Flying into bright lights since 1954.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk