Airline Mogul Forum

continents

blastpast

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: October 25, 2007, 09:11:06 am
who all decided to put the continents the way they are? mexico is in north america, and actually central america is not concidered a continent either it's part of north america. so was this decided to north american starters couldnt be in mexico city and alaska and 4 other places in between, or what? just wondering, because i think mexico should be put back as north america. last round, not this round, but last round i purchased 4 gates at mexico city to find out it wasnt in north america like it should be. it was when i first joined the game last route. just thought at least mexico should be in north america so other ppl dont make the mistake i did.

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 09:47:52 am
This has already been said 100 times... I've had enough of the first 25... North America has a lot of pretty nice airports.. Atlanta, New York etc.  

While Central America is too small... so the admins decided to change that..

Same with Turkey in Middle East

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 11:17:00 am
I'll probably re-name the scripts to change Continents to "Geographical Regions" to represent what AM features.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

blastpast

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 05:39:04 pm
Quote from: "Jps"
This has already been said 100 times... I've had enough of the first 25... North America has a lot of pretty nice airports.. Atlanta, New York etc.  

While Central America is too small... so the admins decided to change that..

Same with Turkey in Middle East

:shock: sorry all i do is piss you off jps... sorry to everyone else i piss off too. i search, look on the few most recent pages for a related topic title, and if i cant find it after 15-30 minutes, i post a new one. you cant get mad at me if this was talked about under leases or something though. sorry jps.   and ok thanks stephen, hope you didnt get pissed at me too!

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 07:33:29 pm
It was partially to distribute airports across a few extra continents/regions for the continent based open skies model.  Having only NA/SA/EU/Asia/Africa/Oceana is notably a few less then the current options.  

Part of it also has been because of weak regions needing support.  Mexico is typically considered part of North America (as is Greenland i might add), but Mexico is in Central America because it is both spanish speaking and represents a decent bulk of the airports present in CA. without Mexico, CA would be far FAR less viable of a region and the remainder would have to either be merged into North America or South America (into a "Latin America" continent).  Neither are very appetizing to me or stephen at the moment, as we've seen some explosive growth in the number of airports offered we don't wish to be too hasty in cutting down on regions.  NA is already a relatively favorable region for both quantity and quality, so why do we need to add the majority of the quality and a good chunk of the quantity airports from CA to it?  Greenland between Europe/NA is kind of a null move.

Turkey was moved to Mid-East because the traditional definition of the mid-east is basically anything inbetween the borders of Iran, Turkey, and Egypt.  Europe is a strong continent, so it could afford to lose Turkey giving the Mid-East a better chance of being a viable starting place for airlines. Africa is far too weak on quantity and quality of airports so it cannot afford to lose Egypt, so Egypt has remained.

In the end, it's mostly conceits for game play reasons.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Air Tycho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:27:58 pm
Air Elbonia, I have a concern regarding Greenland. When you searc for gates per continent (all the gates of one continent under one page), Greenland's airport's are considered to fall under Europe. However, when you go to "Rent Gate" and click on Greenland on the map, you get taken to the North American page. Could this possibly be fixed?

blastpast

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 04:17:15 am
i understand. maybe new members could be notified before they pick their starting airport? as someone may pick mexico city thinking they could later expand to Miami or something. i'm sorry to be a bother but i think if something can be explained in a good way at a good time then it should to prevent problems. someone could be wasting time if they use gates by country, then go to expand a real two weeks into their company, and find out they cant. they either have to then base out of an area that does not have many major airports, or they have to ask to be closed down so they can pick a new base.

i originally posted to find out why, and if mexico could be listed as n america. but i see it's best for the game for that not to happen. my experience was last round anyway, so it doesnt matter now for me anymore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk