Airline Mogul Forum

ultra short rutes

CMS · 11 · 2567

CMS

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: October 24, 2007, 04:37:49 am
this is, well, retarded.  A sampling from the MHT (Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) to BOS (Boston Logan airport)
Competition Information
Airline                    Aircraft                    Frequency      Fare
MS Airways            Curtis CW-20            6.5                €75
Pilgrim Airways    Douglas DC-4-1009  1.5             €75
Pilgrim Airways    Convair 240            1.5               €75
Yankee Airways          Douglas DC-3    2                   €10
Pilgrim Airways    Douglas DC-3    1.5    €75
K1-International    Douglas DC-3    1    €70
Disney Airlines     Lockheed Super Constellation L-1049    0.5    €90
Disney Airlines     Lockheed Super Constellation L-1049    0.5    €90
Sky Lines              Douglas DC-3    1    €539
AirXpress [FT]     Douglas DC-3    1    €525
Sky Lines              Curtis CW-20    0.5    €545
Average Fare: €197   Passengers: 1,084

In real life the connection between MHT and BOS is a green bus.  And its not even a big green bus.  It takes about an hour to run.  The really really short routes like this one (45 miles) are abusive.    I'm not sure how to fix it, but the the bus comes to mind.  any route that is short like that (say less than the amount of time it would take to realistically travel between the two is faster by car then by air. (don't forget security etc) then create a system created very high capacty 0 cost route - the bus.)

Christopher
ankee Airways (YAW):6271
Winning service sense 1865

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 04:42:21 am
As said again and again.

United Airlines flies SNA-LAX. It's 38nm.

American Airlines used to do EVV-OWB. That was 28nm. I've flown that one.

These are two of the many very short commercial airline flights around the world.

Deal with it.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

blastpast

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 07:07:15 am
yeah i dont have a problem with this either. im not going to be mean and say deal with it or something like that. there is an aspect that you want this game to be realistic to way things are run in "real life". in the u.s. at least there are probobly very very few routes that would be worth flying that are short like this. but also in real life, just like the game, you can take a risk. if it's profitable, you keep it, if it's not, you close it. so you want to keep the game like real life but you also want to expand. like maybe a big airport where the potential for a lot of passengers are but it's not being used in real life as a commercial airport. there should maybe be a way for those to be added. to help us all expand.

the short routes, however, such as this, i wonder what they should be based on. should they be based on total passenger numbers at each airport? should u be able to fly a jfk-lga route with 66 million total passengers? im not exactly sure. and it could be a split opinion for everyone. but i'm fine with the way things are.

the only reason you'd have to complain is if you wanted to fly it too when there are 10 other airlines on the route. and in that case you're just complaining so you can either be the only one or so you can make it so no one else has the route.

if there would be anything to complain about this route would be that i dont think anyone in real life would put two of these aircraft on the same route, as they are big, and probobly would not pay in real life except for a few select routes.
Disney Airlines Lockheed Super Constellation L-1049 0.5 €90
Disney Airlines Lockheed Super Constellation L-1049 0.5 €90

but i think it should be left as is, as it is not against the rules to take risks, is it?

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:15:34 am
CMS.. this is AM not Boston.....

That's why the admins put Mexico in Central America and Turkey in Middle East  :lol:

And able to fly to North Korea  :shock:

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:37:04 pm
Mod Edit =>This *situation* isn't a game data issue.  Its on the move to the General Chat forum

*edited by dktc: language -.- *

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

Boho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 01:22:05 pm
From the admin page in game...

The Airline Mogul sim is based on a continent based openskies agreement and does not fully simulate real world situations. This simulation is for entertainment purposes only.

This is a game.  It is not real life.
img]http://www.boho.ca/images/pics/bohoairsig.jpg[/img]

juancho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 07:21:29 pm
There are many really short flights in the real world. Detroit-Flint, many 10-15 minute flights in Japan, Papeete-Huahine is 10 minutes, etc.
img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1385/bannerko2.jpg[/img]

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 07:43:30 pm
There was even a time when DL used to fly TPA-MCO, I don't recall the machinary used, but I think at the time it was either a DC-8 or a 737-200, could've been both, not sure if it's still flown.

Armygrognard

Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 08:48:57 pm
Quote from: "CMS"

In real life the connection between MHT and BOS is a green bus.  And its not even a big green bus.  It takes about an hour to run.  The really really short routes like this one (45 miles) are abusive.    I'm not sure how to fix it, but the the bus comes to mind.  any route that is short like that (say less than the amount of time it would take to realistically travel between the two is faster by car then by air. (don't forget security etc) then create a system created very high capacty 0 cost route - the bus.)

Christopher

This ISN'T real life.

Pepperjack

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:00:30 pm
I was thinking about this...

Thought it would be cool if we could get helicopters to run short routes with  :shock:

warreng24

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:58:29 am
IIRC, there used to be (in real-life) flights from MHT to PSM (Portsmouth, NH), which is 33 miles

So, MHT-BOS is legitimate.   :D
irXpress (ID: 1955)
Flying only Round-Trips....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk