Airline Mogul Forum

Comet

Tomb

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 09:10:37 pm
also currious the comet numbers look wrong i show for the avro C102  pax 50 range 1,250 speed 429 and for the comet mk 1 pax 44 ,range 1745, speed 489.

in airline mogul the comet is barely faster than the piston Constellation (speed 360, comet 390), something not quite right there

TerryWrist

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 09:37:06 pm
i can't believe so many of you are worried about fuel efficiency?
img]http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinelogos/flyusyo.gif[/img]
Flying Cheap with Added Safety and Security!

Would John from Los Angeles please report to the Cathay Baggage Check....   :roll:
"so yesterday i flew with Cathay in a DC-3!"

Scandalian Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 09:52:11 pm
Quote from: "TerryWrist"

Fuel is money, less fuel, more money :)
img]http://www.lsn.se/televisionset/ScandalianAnimated.gif[/img]
Your skyrocket to elsewhere

nofrills

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 11:45:12 pm
The oil embargo is coming + we care about the environment and want to forestall global warming, and deprive Al Gore of his Nobel prize in the future!

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 12:57:12 am
Quote from: "nofrills"
The oil embargo is coming + we care about the environment and want to forestall global warming, and deprive Al Gore of his Nobel prize in the future!

(1951 mode on)
Global warming? Wasn't that a superman villan stragety to take over the earth? Who is this Al Gore you speak of, was he some kind of revolutionary in Europe? Oil Embargo? We'll always have cheap oil, bigger and more powerful is always better!
(1951 mode off)

I don't know why the comet's stats are the way they are compared to the C102, but I'm not getting any of those soon, unless they're real cheap. It's gonna be more M 4-0-4s for the next few months for me!

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 01:16:16 am
*I wish I could lease a comet from DEX* :P

*edited by dktc: No advertisement for aircraft sales/leases please. Those should go into the Aircraft A-Z thread*
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

FWA2500

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 04:15:56 am
so is there no action planned for correcting this rather large error in the Comet's performance? being off by 100mph is quite significant.....
Andrés
Line Service Technician at KOXD, Miami University Airport

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 04:27:38 am
Quote from: "FWA2500"
so is there no action planned for correcting this rather large error in the Comet's performance? being off by 100mph is quite significant.....

i need a good source for it, the two i've found so far say that the mk 1 went 450mph~  are you sure it's the comet that is off?... again. a good source is needed for a reasonable correction, or else we're just going from one flaw to a new one (which at times is the best we can do... but still, i think this one isn't one of those times).
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 11:39:14 am
Did you look it up in these sources?
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/jetliner/comet/
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/chasingthesun/planes/comet.html
http://www.super70s.com/Super70s/Tech/Aviation/Aircraft/Comet.asp

I'll also take a look into some old aviation books where the Comet might be listed...
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 11:46:21 am
I've quickly searched up some numbers.
It seems that the comet 1 did go approx 450mph (not sure how many knots that is right now), even though later varients did go over 500 mph. I guess that we should state there was a difference between Cruise Speed and max speed. Usually Cruise speed is what's the most efficient for the plane to fly at, as well as what produces the best fuel burn, whereas max speed is just the plane going as fast as it can before the design dosn't allow it to go any faster or it starts breaking apart.
Here are the two sources:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/comet.htm
http://www.dlyoung.freeserve.co.uk/DH106/COMET.htm

nofrills

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 02:44:28 pm
Of course if speed increases, available seat miles increase too.  Is price going to go up and people get charged retroactively?

Mjolnir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 03:50:21 pm
Have you looked at your fuel costs in your financial statements?

Just making numbers up, but if you have two similar planes and the "smaller" one puts 90% of the seats in the air for 50% of the fuel cost you should come out ahead in the long run.

Once you start factoring in speed, turn time, and total number of miles possible in 24 hours that changes some but it's still not something you can just ignore.

An expensive plane with a low number of seats and a huge fuel load may not be your best option (no matter how fast it is) when planes carrying twice the passengers at half the fuel load at 60% of the speed for less purchase cost are available.
 know sweet FA about planes.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 05:39:35 pm
Quote from: "Mjolnir"

Just making numbers up, but if you have two similar planes and the "smaller" one puts 90% of the seats in the air for 50% of the fuel cost you should come out ahead in the long run.

Once you start factoring in speed, turn time, and total number of miles possible in 24 hours that changes some but it's still not something you can just ignore.

An expensive plane with a low number of seats and a huge fuel load may not be your best option (no matter how fast it is) when planes carrying twice the passengers at half the fuel load at 60% of the speed for less purchase cost are available.

If I recall, I think Stephen said that gas prices are variable for each year. So since this was the 1950s, gas was probebly some 10-20 cents per gallon. If a plane has a fast speed, and a high fuel burn, it might actually benefit the airline, but only if it has a higher amount of seats, you have to remember that the script is written to give faster planes a first dib on pax, so they can hit 100% much easier than lets say a airline with half the speed. But you are right that watching the numbers is a smart idea. Just try to factor in speed, seats and fuelburn (you might find it's actually cheaper than the smaller ones on longer trips). I should also state that when you put a new plane on a route, you might get a higher profit if you charge higher than everyone else, depending on what planes are being used on that route. I have a few routes where I entered in a bit later than everyone else and because I had a faster plane, or one with less seats, it gave me the capability to charge higher fares, unlike the blue game, where all planes ere treated the same, so a Beach 1900D might actually steal over 1000 seats from everyone, unlike here, where it comes down to more factors.
-Just my two cents on fuel burn and how to think out the price.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 05:52:52 pm
Quote from: "LOT 737-300"
Quote from: "Mjolnir"

If I recall, I think Stephen said that gas prices are variable for each year. So since this was the 1950s, gas was probebly some 10-20 cents per gallon. If a plane has a fast speed, and a high fuel burn, it might actually benefit the airline, but only if it has a higher amount of seats, you have to remember that the script is written to give faster planes a first dib on pax, so they can hit 100% much easier than lets say a airline with half the speed. But you are right that watching the numbers is a smart idea. Just try to factor in speed, seats and fuelburn (you might find it's actually cheaper than the smaller ones on longer trips). I should also state that when you put a new plane on a route, you might get a higher profit if you charge higher than everyone else, depending on what planes are being used on that route. I have a few routes where I entered in a bit later than everyone else and because I had a faster plane, or one with less seats, it gave me the capability to charge higher fares, unlike the blue game, where all planes ere treated the same, so a Beach 1900D might actually steal over 1000 seats from everyone, unlike here, where it comes down to more factors.
-Just my two cents on fuel burn and how to think out the price.

fuel costs are converted to 2006 euros (adjusted for inflation, and the game's set exchange rate).

in 1950 the costs were €0.501/gallon; 1951 they are €0.468.  they do vary on a yearly basis, at some point i'd like to get that down to monthly (within relatively set ranges), but that is a low... low... low priority at the moment.  no i won't tell the explicite rate for every year, and there's no real need to make it public at the moment as there is no fuel hedging and the principles of lower fuel burn per mile = lower fuel costs tend to hold true across the board, no matter what price the fuel is.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 06:47:46 pm
Do the links help you or are they just plain (no pun intended) crap?
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk