Airline Mogul Forum

Load factor/Profit not same on View Routes vs Update Route

Nelson Airways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
I just checked my View Routes and noticed that two of my routes were below 100% load...one at 99% and the other at 95%

I edit the route and update information with the already existing price and the load showed approximately 50%, thus less profit as well

when i created the edited route, my DOP went down!  so i went back into edit route, put the price back to the original amount and created the route, my DOP didn't go back to where it was.

something strange is happening...no i didn't change the freq at all

Simius

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:23:52 pm
Yeah, I have the same problem.  If you have an existing route and you edit it, it seems like it uses your existing route as competition against yourself so you get half the load you originally did.  But if you close the route then remake it... That competition goes away so you get your full load.  It is weird.
img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/simiusthemonkey/SIM.png[/img]

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:30:46 pm
hmm... seems like your own route competes against you.

i'll look into that.

my experience with edit route is pretty much the same, mayhap you're a victim of a population update at an airport (we periodically try to update airports to more accurate, more recent passenger/cargo data when possible or significant).
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Nelson Airways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:43:49 pm
weird, you are right about closing the route and recreating it.

i just regained my $20,000 profit i was losing on one route

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 09:47:36 pm
hrm. i know it's not loading your own route against you (at least not the route you're editing).

any more info? like. competition involved?, yes or no.  anything else you can think of? -ponders-

Simius

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:03:59 am
When I edit one of my .5 routes the load factor goes from 100% to 50.75%... even if I keep the price exactly the same.  (Tabriz International -> Baghdad International FLT# 19558)

When I edit one of my 1.0 routes the load factor goes from 100% to 66.88%... even if I keep the price exactly the same. (Tabriz International -> Tehran - Mehrabad FLT# 19981)

It is almost like somewhere along the way of calculating the load it adds a .5 ghost segment and apportions 1/2 of the passengers to the ghost segment on .5 flights and 1/3 of the pax to the ghost segment on 1.0 flights.  (I assume it would apportion 1/4 of the pax to the ghost segment on 1.5 flights).  This only happens when editing routes.  If you create a new route it doesn't add the ghost segment.  

You can get around it by deleting your route and making a new one... but that is kind of a silly strategy.  You can also still get 100% load by dropping your prices a lot when you edit your route... I think because it increases the demand enough that when 1/3 of the passengers are sent to the ghost flight, there are still enough to fill your actual flight.

I'm not sure if that ghost segment is intentional, if it is then you should make it so it adds the ghost segment when you are creating new routes as well... Not just when you edit them.

Hopefully my explanation was clear enough for you to figure it out.

There are no other flights on those routes.

Edit: My airline ID is 3632
img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/simiusthemonkey/SIM.png[/img]

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 12:40:07 am
haHA.

thank you very much, that was enough to help me figure it out.  it should be fixed now.

er. now. i had it backwards, mentally reworking the algorithm... yes. now it's right.

create route was the one that was off, you were right. not edit route.

Daemonfly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 10:39:24 am
Read this thread and went to edit my routes to see if anything was different.

Most routes were 100% and no competitors before edit. Some routes, I gained 20-60 euros on the ticket price, others, without changing anything dropped from 100% to ~50% load factor after updating info (didn't go any farther to get the price difference from old 100% to "new" 100%). This is without any changes on my part since the last time I edited them, other than just buying 2 planes (1 still on order) and making 1 new separate route to a new city.

RevLinks

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:21:26 pm
Quote from: "Daemonfly"

Most routes were 100% and no competitors before edit. Some routes, I gained 20-60 euros on the ticket price, others, without changing anything dropped from 100% to ~50% load factor after updating info (didn't go any farther to get the price difference from old 100% to "new" 100%). This is without any changes on my part since the last time I edited them, other than just buying 2 planes (1 still on order) and making 1 new separate route to a new city.

Yeah, I have noticed the exact same thing.... very worrysome.
img]http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinelogos/airmog.gif[/img]
ID: 2779  Reverend Air is a member of the Offtopica Alliance
Free Communion with every flight!! Last Rites avaliable!

Daemonfly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 11:29:38 am
I just tested this out again on a current no competitors route.

Original - €424 ticket price, 1 freq - €23,544 at 100%
After closing & recreating - €423, 1 freq - €23,444 at 100%

Not a huge difference, but it's there.

This might have something to do with the airport locations problem in South America, but perhaps not.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 06:03:27 pm
Quote from: "RevLinks"
Quote from: "Daemonfly"

Yeah, I have noticed the exact same thing.... very worrysome.

There was a period of about 48 hours where create route was significantly over-generous due to the bug i fixed; adjusting any route from that period will have significant drops in loadfactor for the same ticket price.

Routes created after that time period should not have a significant drop for no-competition route, maybe 1-2 euros depending on a few factors.  Some of the route variables aren't entirely in the players control (there's two types of hub effect, maybe one of them shifted against you).  

There was also a second minute typo i fixed in the route script where a number was off by .02; but that shouldn't have a significantly noticeable effect in any way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk