Airline Mogul Forum

Another kind of 0.5 frequency abuse?

Dora · 92 · 18300

blastpast

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: October 18, 2007, 06:37:54 am
i'm having a hard time taking everything in too. it'd be easier to see just the diagrams and examples alone right in front of me to pick the best one. i'm afraid this is going over my head. lol. me r stupid..

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: October 18, 2007, 06:56:02 am
Quote from: "Max2147"
Not sure I quite get the scenario you're describing.  As you said, they can create roundtrips from cit3.

In terms of coding, you'd have to work out some sort of test to run on each airport in a plane's network to see whether it's an endpoint or not.  The basic logic would be: If (endpoint test) = yes, then: Create roundtrips or x.5 routes, else: only create roundtrips with that plane from that city.  If a plane doesn't have any 0.5 routes in the system, then you don't even have to run the test.

Not quite sure how'd you'd deal with the AP1 (0.5) AP2 (0.5) AP3 (0.5) AP1 issue (no endpoints in that system), but I'll put some more thought into it.  Either way, I think endpoints is the best idea to run with because it eliminates the illogical routes without eliminating the logical ones.

see. endpoints are the answer...the problem is teaching the system to see efficiently, easily, and readily endpoints of numerous aircraft at once in disorganized data.  and, at all times remember the endpoints so that when editing routes you cannot screw them up somehow. (if .5, must always end in .5 where applicable, must allways be rt where applicable, must be able to tell when it's free to do as it pleases when applicable).
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

marcelvinicius

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: October 18, 2007, 04:49:18 pm
is this permmited?

31472   XXXXX Airways   Bellanca Aircruiser   1   1010.00
33625   XXXXX Airways   Douglas DC-3          4.5     273.00

Flight
FRA x Venice Treviso

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: October 18, 2007, 05:01:05 pm
Quote from: "marcelvinicius"
is this permmited?

31472   XXXXX Airways   Bellanca Aircruiser   1   1010.00
33625   XXXXX Airways   Douglas DC-3          4.5     273.00

Flight
FRA x Venice Treviso

Yes. So long as the airline doesn't have more than 10 flights to the same destination.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

marcelvinicius

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: October 18, 2007, 05:12:41 pm
tks

nofrills

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: October 23, 2007, 01:18:01 am
What it should be is 2 x.5 route limit on any given plane.  Not only 0.5, any x.5 route result in a one way flight, and the most a plane can have is two without teleporting.

Actually, an easier fix would be to allow 0.5 flights and lift the ban.  Reduce 0.5 flight's cash advantage over 1.0 by 50-75% of current level, and call it a day.  It'd be realistic as well.

In rl, on many routes people will NOT fly your airline at all if there's no daily roundtrip service, on routes such as BOS-NYC, NYC-WAS, NYC-CHI, CHI-MSP, etc.  They simply want to go home after work is done.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: October 23, 2007, 01:40:08 am
Quote from: "nofrills"
What it should be is 2 x.5 route limit on any given plane.  Not only 0.5, any x.5 route result in a one way flight, and the most a plane can have is two without teleporting.

Actually, an easier fix would be to allow 0.5 flights and lift the ban.  Reduce 0.5 flight's cash advantage over 1.0 by 50-75% of current level, and call it a day.  It'd be realistic as well.

In rl, on many routes people will NOT fly your airline at all if there's no daily roundtrip service, on routes such as BOS-NYC, NYC-WAS, NYC-CHI, CHI-MSP, etc.  They simply want to go home after work is done.

Actually, I realised it is possible. But the problem is that the plane plane would have to come from another point for it to be possible, and maybe it would have to a loop of .5s. I've got what I mean in my head, but it's a bit hard to materialize, I posted it in the suggestions thread I made earlier in the month.

nofrills

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: October 23, 2007, 02:22:35 am
Right, except in the context of this game, we set route specific to each aircraft, and with that restriction in place it's not physically possible.

If we publish fare by city-pair route and schedule planes to fly loops, much like rl airlines, then yes.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: October 23, 2007, 02:26:05 am
Quote from: "nofrills"
Right, except in the context of this game, we set route specific to each aircraft, and with that restriction in place it's not physically possible.

If we publish fare by city-pair route and schedule planes to fly loops, much like rl airlines, then yes.

I guess we understand each other, I have made a thread some time ago in suggestions, with the original idea of 2 .5s per plane, till I noticed why it is considered a shortsighted solution, I posted a more detailed version of what I said in Suggestions as well as how to make it work reasonably within the game.

Air Klymaxia

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: October 24, 2007, 10:03:34 pm
Just a question... but can a flight put three 1.5 frequency flights into the same destination?

It should be fixed that you'd make the same amount of money if you have two 0.5 flights going to the same destination as you would with a single 1 frequency flight.

I know this is a game, but there's no way companies would do stuff like this IRL.

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: October 24, 2007, 10:23:19 pm
Quote from: "Air Klymaxia"
, but there's no way companies would do stuff like this IRL.

really? is that why airlines like singapore are technically operating multiple 0.5 frequencies into LHR each day?
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

Max2147

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: October 24, 2007, 11:16:54 pm
It should be fixed that you'd make the same amount of money if you have two 0.5 flights going to the same destination as you would with a single 1 frequency flight.

I know this is a game, but there's no way companies would do stuff like this IRL.

Agreed that the problem should be fixed.  The way the game works it's more profitable to do multiple 1x frequency flights as well.  It's a bug that should be fixed - all the airline's flights into a destination should be grouped together and calculated as one.
lying Badger Airlines

Air Klymaxia

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: October 25, 2007, 12:52:29 am
Quote from: "ALFC"

really? is that why airlines like singapore are technically operating multiple 0.5 frequencies into LHR each day?
b/c they pick up passengers at LHR and fly to the next destination?  I doubt they're sending the aircraft full and then back empty just to fill it up again.  It's not good business sense to fly YOW to YYZ with passengers, then fly back from YYZ to YOW empty to pick up passengers and fly back to YYZ, just to return empty again.

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: October 25, 2007, 01:17:42 am
b/c they pick up passengers at LHR and fly to the next destination?  I doubt they're sending the aircraft full and then back empty just to fill it up again.  It's not good business sense to fly YOW to YYZ with passengers, then fly back from YYZ to YOW empty to pick up passengers and fly back to YYZ, just to return empty again.

the 0.5 frequency is there to represent a flight to a point at day 1 and the return at day2. it just so happens to be that the system doesnt connect the dots inbetween properly ;)

in this round, any flight over about 4000nm must be 0.5 due to low speed!
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

Max2147

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: October 25, 2007, 01:25:01 am
Quote from: "ALFC"

Unlike in AM, airlines schedule their rotues by week, not by day.  Time changes also mess things up.

Take a Qantas 747 flying SYD-LAX-SYD as an example.  The plane leaves SYD in the afternoon (Australia time) and gets to LAX in the morning (California time).  Due to time changes, curfews, connections, etc the plane can't depart on its return leg until the evening (California time).

So in a 24-hour period, it flys SYD-LAX (about 13-14 hours), then sits on the ground in LAX for the remaining time.  In AM, that would mean a 0.5 frequency on that plane, and every other plane operating the SYD-LAX route.  But Qantas actually operates SYD-LAX 3 times each day both ways using several 747's.  If you try to translate that into AM, you'd end up with 6 planes from the same airline running 0.5 frequencies SYD-LAX.

But in a real-life timetable it shows up as 3 full frequencies, and I'm sure customer demand treats it as such.  So the best way to deal with the issue in AM would be to group the 6x 0.5 frequencies together and make them have the same fare/profit as one 3x frequency flight.
lying Badger Airlines

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk