Airline Mogul Forum

So I don't think I am going about this the right way...

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 05:30:17 am
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
the market research tool is handy, if you know some airports around where you're based.  Shows competition, distance without having to rent gates.

For this age at least, you likely want lowish frequencies (say 1-3 freq) so the plane can serve more places, then rather high frequency flights. next age will have a correction to the overly flat rate of return on routes (i.e. ticket rev from 1 freq vs 10 freq).

From all this debt I have, there is NO way I am going to be able to lease or buy anymore planes.  I guess my question is how do I find good airports that have a high growth rate?  is there a tool for that?

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 05:43:20 am
rent gates, go to your home continent, you can sort by population, available gates.

There's a tool in progress (which isn't going well, unfortunately, and is outranked at present by more pressing matters) which is designed to help you find airports you don't serve yet with X, Y, Z constraints (population, continent, that sort of thing)... but yes. at present, Terminals > gatesearch.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 04:31:20 pm
rent gates, go to your home continent, you can sort by population, available gates.

There's a tool in progress (which isn't going well, unfortunately, and is outranked at present by more pressing matters) which is designed to help you find airports you don't serve yet with X, Y, Z constraints (population, continent, that sort of thing)... but yes. at present, Terminals > gatesearch.

I don't know how to sort by population, continent, and gates...can you tell me how?  And what's a good profit per plane?  I'm only using the ATR they give you when you start out..

Thanks,
Cris P.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 04:52:28 pm
Good profit can range, simple rule of thumb is figuring out about how many game days it takes to either pay for the lease (if it's leased) or game days that it takes for your airline to pay for its focus cities gates' (as they'll usually amount to a large portion of your gate fees at the end of month).  If either is around game 20 days, you're probably not getting a good contribution margin from your aircraft, but it's likely still viable. if either is over 24 game days (aka. one game month) you're losing ground.

To sort by stuff in gates, simply select the continent or country you want to look in.  you'll see a nice long (or short) list of airports come up, sorted by their name.  you'll notice that the header for each column of data is a link.  simply click "gates" to sort by gates ascending, click it again and you'll sort it by descending.  click country to sort by country, or passengers to sort by passengers asc/desc.  There's similar links on a few other pages (buy/request ac, aircraft), so just keep an eye for some little links like that throughout.

Handy stuff it is. :D
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 06:22:42 pm
Good profit can range, simple rule of thumb is figuring out about how many game days it takes to either pay for the lease (if it's leased) or game days that it takes for your airline to pay for its focus cities gates' (as they'll usually amount to a large portion of your gate fees at the end of month).  If either is around game 20 days, you're probably not getting a good contribution margin from your aircraft, but it's likely still viable. if either is over 24 game days (aka. one game month) you're losing ground.

To sort by stuff in gates, simply select the continent or country you want to look in.  you'll see a nice long (or short) list of airports come up, sorted by their name.  you'll notice that the header for each column of data is a link.  simply click "gates" to sort by gates ascending, click it again and you'll sort it by descending.  click country to sort by country, or passengers to sort by passengers asc/desc.  There's similar links on a few other pages (buy/request ac, aircraft), so just keep an eye for some little links like that throughout.

Handy stuff it is. :D

Thanks!  Is there a way to see how many flight hours my aircraft has left to use up, and how many flight hours it is for a certain route, BEFORE I rent a gate?

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 06:53:11 pm
Quote from: "s2cmpugh"
Thanks!  Is there a way to see how many flight hours my aircraft has left to use up

Yes, it displays it on the aircraft page and also on any view aircraft page.

and how many flight hours it is for a certain route, BEFORE I rent a gate?

Currently, no.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 06:57:57 pm

You could use great circle mapper to find out the distance, then divide it by the speed of the plane, then add in the turn time. It should be reasonaly close.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 08:18:18 pm
Quote from: "StephenM"
Thanks!  Is there a way to see how many flight hours my aircraft has left to use up

Yes, it displays it on the aircraft page and also on any view aircraft page.

Currently, no.

Where at on the aircraft page?

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 08:18:45 pm
Quote from: "dktc"

You could use great circle mapper to find out the distance, then divide it by the speed of the plane, then add in the turn time. It should be reasonaly close.

And where is the "great circle mapper" located?

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 08:52:44 pm
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 08:53:12 pm
There is actually a column labelled "hours" in the view aircraft page if you look closely.

http://gc.kls2.com

*edit: Stephen, stop posting and the exact time and location I post already! :P *
D Express (id 616) 8)

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 09:52:19 pm
He's basically your boss, so that sounds a little weird :)

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 09:55:59 pm
Quote from: "MrOrange"
He's basically your boss, so that sounds a little weird :)

It is meant to sound ironic :wink:

*changing to the voice of a consultant* Delegate, delegate, and delegate. With such a booming business of yours, you can't micro-manage. You have to empower your team to make decisions on their own and help you out. You have got so many capable sub-ordinates here, you could just let them answer all those questions out there. Get on the important things. Manage. Don't work your behinds off.
D Express (id 616) 8)

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 10:06:37 pm
Quote from: "dktc"
*changing to the voice of a consultant* Delegate, delegate, and delegate. With such a booming business of yours, you can't micro-manage. You have to empower your team to make decisions on their own and help you out. You have got so many capable sub-ordinates here, you could just let them answer all those questions out there. Get on the important things. Manage. Don't work your behinds off.

:roll: It's a forum, not The Office :wink:

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 10:12:49 pm
Quote from: "MrOrange"
:roll: It's a forum, not The Office :wink:

Still, I have to earn my keep :P  :lol:
D Express (id 616) 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk