Airline Mogul Forum

EWR: out of gates

Powercube

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: August 25, 2007, 04:40:33 am
Someone, out of nowhere, just rented the remaining 168 gates at EWR- their utilization is 78%... I see routes of EWR-LGA at 4x91 frequencies. IS there anything that can be done because that seems a wee bit absurd to me.
img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/425/bluelogosp5.jpg[/img]

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 04:44:09 am
Similar situation has happened in DFW, where the very same airline is flying hundreds of frequecies to Dallas Love Field (which in my opinion, the passengers should drive).

The problem is I don't know what the admins would do about these, or what they could do. This type of gate hogging is not really illegal, in a sense (although it will still be seen as if it is). I am hoping the gate rent and the loss of those routes would bring that airline down :P (Either that or the Green Peace would take action :P )
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Powercube

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:49:10 am
Quote from: "dktc"
Similar situation has happened in DFW, where a certain airline is flying hundreds of requecies to Dallas Love Field (which in my opinion, the passengers should drive).

I completely agree, the passengers should drive... And about the other thing, 168 gates at 300,000 a month is a little over 50,000,000. We can but hope.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:53:09 am
Also DAL, OGG, and HNL...so.... I bet he/she has a higher than average rental expense :P
D Express (id 616) 8)

Powercube

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 05:19:28 am
What confuses me the most is- he's a tiny little airline- where does he get the money for this endeavor?

juancho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 05:23:32 am
Usually dktc says if it's possible to do in this game then so be it.  Yeah thats right, it's absurd but so what? Buy up all 100 gates even if you only use 2. :roll:

No more gates, well boohoo for you :lol:
img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1385/bannerko2.jpg[/img]

warreng24

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 06:27:11 am
[deleted]
irXpress (ID: 1955)
Flying only Round-Trips....

Powercube

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 06:45:04 am
I have no problem with people using gates as they please, it just confuses me to no end where they get the money. I lease some planes to this airline (mostly Dash-8s) and I often see in the Daily Profit column they are losing 5,000 plus. It doesn't really make sense that an airline can spend 50,000,000 on gates  and not earn anything- oh well. -scratches head-

Edit: my head hurts. Does this actually make money?

Pandora

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 08:25:05 am
Quote from: "juancho"
Usually dktc says if it's possible to do in this game then so be it.  Yeah thats right, it's absurd but so what? Buy up all 100 gates even if you only use 2. :roll:

I think you missed the point slightly. It's not an issue of him wanting gates as he already has a gate there, it's about whether or not someone can hog a gate like this, and whether they're making a substantial profit out of doing so.

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 10:34:43 am
LHR's out of gates too and it has ruined my plan of expanding my long haul buisness :(

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:45:42 pm

I don't think it's THAT funny. There are many European and Asian airports which I'd like to fly to but which are out of gates because of some ***** Operating 500 0.5 Frequencies into airports of which you didn't even know they existed. I'm very lucky I set up my business at HAJ and not at FRA or SIN as I planned.

This is in or way realistic.
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 01:56:49 pm
Its the exact same type of nonsense that infects another online airline game.

This is most likely a dupe airline of someone who already had a good size operation at the mentioned airport.

The create a second or third(which is a violation of the rules) airline, run up huge debts swallowing gates, and running stupid routes.  DFW-DAL, EWR-LGA-MHT.  While this tiny line never makes a dime, the actual owner has free reign to do what they want.  

Want a suspect?  Look for someone who is growing at the affected airports while everyone else idles or dwindles.

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 02:19:41 pm

Don't know where this comes from :roll:

Oh, and that airline isn't that tiny at all. At least not when I took a look at the rankings before my second post in this thread.
D Express (id 616) 8)

zvezdaman

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 03:48:22 pm
I totally wanted to fly to Beijing Capital from Belgrade, but there are airlines there flying like 10 flights from the same place on 0.5 frequenceys.... :(
b]Aviosvet Interkontinental[/b]
Proud member of the Worldair Alliance
ID: 1901

Visit the Worldair Alliance's Forums: http://worldair.freeforums.org/index.php

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 03:48:25 pm
You wouldn't believe it, but at SIN even the Airbase has no gates left :wall:
I mean, come on! This Base is listed at 1000 passengers, and you have to pay 50 grand to get a gate!
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk