Airline Mogul Forum

Airport distance error

serverxeon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: August 15, 2007, 12:30:03 pm
Just had an A345 delivered, and discovered something.

just a pointer: Singapore airlines in flies SIN - LAX and SIN - EWR nonstop on a A345.

Using rfinder (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/)

The route distance for SIN - LAX is only 7961.9nm, compared to the 8772nm calculated by AM.

route distance for SIN - EWR is only 8855.6, as compared to the 9540nm calculated by AM.

Lastly, the A345, fully loaded is able to fly a range of 9000nm (making these 2 routes possible), not 8500nm as stated on the AM plane stats.

juancho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 02:03:38 pm
agreed

you should be able to fly those routes with the A340-500 and 777-200LR.

The range for the 757-200 in AM is also too short. Continental and Northwest airlines fly them trans Atlantic all the time.

Here are just a few real world 757 trans Atlantic flights that are not possible in AM because the 757 range is too short:

Detroit-Brussels
Detroit-Frankfurt (4154nm)
Detroit-Dusseldorf
Newark-Berlin

The range should be increased a few hundred miles.
img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1385/bannerko2.jpg[/img]

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 02:36:58 pm
same question with the other thread: what is the big deal? this is a game.

I am not saying being realistic is not good. But then... there are too many aspects that can not be simulated realistically (including pax demand). We should try adapting to the in-game conditions to make the most out of the experience.

And if you guys insist on being a realist, the best way to help is to collect solid data with reputable/scientific/indisputable sources (by that I mean all forum and wiki should not be used as reference because people could type in wrong info as they like). That would be constructive criticism to this game. I think the admins would greatly appreciate the effort either.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Singaporeair

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 02:59:25 pm
it is because Unit error I believe.
Remember stephen said the nm inside the game is Statute Miles.
But I think the the A340-500 range in this game is in Nautical Miles.
nited Sky Group member,ID:673

juancho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:57:13 pm
Quote from: "dktc"
same question with the other thread: what is the big deal? this is a game.

I am not saying being realistic is not good. But then... there are too many aspects that can not be simulated realistically (including pax demand). We should try adapting to the in-game conditions to make the most out of the experience.

And if you guys insist on being a realist, the best way to help is to collect solid data with reputable/scientific/indisputable sources (by that I mean all forum and wiki should not be used as reference because people could type in wrong info as they like). That would be constructive criticism to this game. I think the admins would greatly appreciate the effort either.

No need to get all defensive dude.  It shouldn't take so much work to adjust the range or correct the designation for any given aircraft. I manage a database with over 10,000+ airline routes, aircraft performance specs, etc. If it's designed well all they should have to do is update the database. Whoever maintains the database should be open to correction and not get all pissy about it.

This is a data driven game so I assume the creators would like their data to be at least reasonable. Like I already pointed out the ER, LR designations are all wrong, 737-300 with 4000nm range is absurd and an A330-300 with 440 seats is probably a typo. Don't get me wrong. What they've done so far with AM is very good and IMHO much better than AE.

AM could crosscheck data with public sources like flightware.com, the JP Air Fleets book, ATDB, seatguru.com(see how many seats airlines really put on airplanes), etc.

If the AM creators want solid data I can help them out.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:10:08 pm
Juan, I don't think I was getting defensive :?

What I suggest is that you could use other ways to get through to the admins instead of saying they are wrong. I can't represent the admins and say they need your help, but generally speaking one should give out proves when saying another person is wrong. That would save a lot of arguing.

As for them getting pissy, hmm... those pissed are not the admins. And that I think they are more pissed by your attitude (in the post about ER/LR/HGW/whatever :roll: )
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

juancho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 04:28:52 pm
No man, if the data is wrong how should I say it?  The data is slightly incorrect pretty please? :lol: Or should I say. Hey admin it's correct but can you pretty please fix it?

How can you provide a irrefutable source if it doesn't exist?  I can't provide a source for a 737-300ER, etc because there is and never was such a thing.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:46:40 am
having read this, I found a pretty reliable source for Boeing/MD/Douglas Planes- Boeings official site!
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/products.html
Might be that airbus has something similar, but I haven't searched the site yet.
(fyi, for the boeing/MD/Douglas products not in the list, go to "out-of-production-models")
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk