Airline Mogul Forum

Attempting to calculate Flight Time to Block Time

mjkerr · 12 · 2835

mjkerr

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: July 23, 2020, 06:15:32 pm
I have made numerous searches, but nothing really answered the problem to the calculation I am trying to solve

From
https://wiki.airlinemogul.com/index.php/FAQ#How_can_you_calculate_block_time.3F

Airbus A320-200
Speed 469 (I assume nm/p/h)
Range 3504 nm
Turnaround time 0.72 (I assume is 0h43m)

Route
1071nm

Flight time calculates as route distance divided by speed
1071 / 469 => 2.28 hours or 2h17m

Block time calculation
"A one way flight can be calculated by dividing the flight length by the aircraft speed (e.g. 1000 miles / 500 miles per hour = 2 hours), then you have to add the turnaround time"

2.28 + 0.72 = 3.00 (3hr00m)

However AM has 3.61, a difference of 0.61

Other routes
220nm the difference is 0.67
1128nm the difference is 0.60
1545nm the difference is 0.64

What did I miss?

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 06:56:32 pm
Hi there!

Welcome to the forum. Looks like we need to update the Wiki. On newer worlds where "Progressive flight paths and block times" are enabled the calculation has gotten a little more realistic.

The old method was a straight calculation of speed over distance, however in reality planes will travel at different speeds through flight. The calculation now reflects that as well as some additional milage flown through the air during departure and arrival sequences. The different stages of flight are loosely based on the following from Eurocontrol.

To find the time needed to fly a route before you buy gates or aircraft, check using the Research Route feature which should be able to calculate it for you.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

mjkerr

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 07:45:49 pm
I was looking for a formula that I can use on an as and when required basis

I then discovered the link to the Updated block time in the FAQ, rather than just the plain calculation,
Research Route page
However it is dead

The Research Route menu adds a little work on a route by route basis

mjkerr

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:47:47 pm
To find the time needed to fly a route before you buy gates or aircraft, check using the Research Route feature which should be able to calculate it for you
I used this before, all I get is the aircraft capable
There is no detail for the flight time or block time

mjkerr

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 07:50:50 pm
I have now found it
The index of figures between the Speed and Seat
New: x.xx ,Old : x.xx

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 03:20:56 pm
Glad you found it, it is a little hidden in there but each engine potentially has a different block time due to the speeds and engine technology.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

GediUK

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 05:02:55 pm
I'm really struggling with this too. I've seen the old/new block time info but how is this calculated? How can we incorporate this into planning multiple routes for one aircraft? It feels a bit like a 'finger in the wind' situation now.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 10:13:14 am
Block time calculations used to be distance divided by top speed. Now they are much more realistic, taking into consideration the different phases of flight, but also the size of the airports.
Use the page 'Research Route' to see a list of block times of all possible aircraft for that route.

steex

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 01:04:31 am
Realizing this has been dormant for a long time, is it possible to share the actual method for calculating this? I've always used a robust set of spreadsheets I developed for route planning that can make it possible to figure out block times for potential routes in one place without having to manually look up each desired destination airport - being able to update the formulas in such a spreadsheet would be extremely beneficial.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 03:15:17 pm
Sorry for not replying earlier. The new block time calculation is more fluid and takes into consideration other factors than just distance and speed.
You can use the route research feature (Operations -> Research Route) to get correctly calculated block times for any airport and aircraft combination.

steex

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 06:48:23 pm
Fair enough, I guess. There still has to be a formula behind it or the game wouldn't be able to calculate it.

However, to expand a bit further, the issue with using "Research Route" is that aircraft no longer show up there once they have been withdrawn from production in the world's calendar and this is an issue for long worlds.

As an example, I joined Private World #3563 which starts with 5x 737-200. However, it was 1989 when I joined and the 737-200 is withdrawn in 1987 in the game, so block times no longer showed up in the research - it was effectively impossible to research routes through any means other than creating them and seeing what happens. That world has another 30+ years of gameplay left (a full year of real-world time), and anyone who joins the rest of that time will be stuck with five aircraft they can't directly plan. I used the 737-300 as a proxy, but as more and more analogous aircraft are withdrawn, the issue will be harder to work around.

At the very least, can the game be adjusted to make it so any aircraft that exists in the world shows up in the Research Route function?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 11:20:17 am
Good suggestion, Ill see what we can do

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk