Airline Mogul Forum

Favorite/Least Favorite Aircraft (from passenger perspective)

SchindlerHaughton

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
I have a fair bit of air travel experience within the domestic US, and there are definitely certain aircraft I've formed some stronger opinions on. Figured I'd start this discussion. Personally, I'm speaking mostly from the perspective of passenger comfort. I will limit this to aircraft that I have personal experience with. :)

Favorite:
Embraer E-Jet series (pretty much everything about it)
Boeing 767 (I love the 2-3-2 configuration, wide seats)

Honorable Mentions:
Airbus A320 series (as long as you're not flying American or one of the ULCs)
MD8X/MD90/B717 (the MD80s are quite up there in age, and you don't want to be in the back, but I like the wide seats and the 3-2 configuration)

Least Favorite:
Bombardier CRJ200 (nothing good about it, quite frankly)

Dishonorable Mention:
United's 777-300 (attractive and new cabin, but economy is tight with the 3-4-3 config and some of the narrowest seats in the air)

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 09:36:39 pm
Hmmm, that's an interesting question!

My least favourite aircraft is, by far, Wizzair A320, oh boy their legroom is horrible (doesn't help that I'm 193 cms).

Good aircraft, I don't know... None have been outstandingly good (other than that one time I got to fly business class)
The older the seats, the better the comfort - you just don't get the same amount of comfort from one centimetre of cushion...

MrBullsFan

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 10:06:47 pm
Hmm. Here is my list.

Favorite Aircraft - The A350 bc it gives a very good rest of sleep

Honorable Mentions - The B717 if you are in the front, but when in the back it is very noisy

Least Favorite -  Ultra Low Cost Carriers' B737 & A320. I live in the USA so I ride Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant. The legroom is horrible in eco. and I have some jitters w/ Allegiant  :-\ The only way I would fly these carriers as if I sit in Spirit's big front seat.

Anzatax

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 04:41:48 pm
I have not really travelled on too many varieties of aircraft, and most of them are low cost too, but I really enjoyed Emirates' A380, while sadly my first experience of a 787 was on Scoot and other than the tinted windows it was boring.

Least favourite aircraft? I don't really have any, although I once flew on a LAN A330 with the IFE knocked out on my seat, and to make it worse I was seating in the middle row of seats, so I spent hours in the air not even able to look out a window. Oh, and the airplane looked run down - I thought the interior was made out of rotting wood :P

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 02:22:00 pm
Here is mine:

Favorite:
The 757-200, favorite plane to fly. Lots of thrust and relatively comfortable despite its age these days. I’ve flown it over 100 times and half of those are transatlantic flights.

Honorable Mention:
The A380, having flown it only a handful of times I did DFW-SYD-DFW on Qantas’s A380 and in coach it was a really nice ride. I even had a middle seat between two larger people on the way back for 15 hours but didn’t feel too uncomfortable.

Least Favorite:
The CRJ-200, it’s a tight squeeze and I cannot see out the windows as I am too tall.

Dishonorable Mention:
The last few rows of a tail mounted aircraft (engine noise$ or that one time I flew ORD-SFO on UA’s 777-200 with 3-4-3 config and felt like I was in a torture chamber.  :'(
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Thunderstruck

• Airline Operative
  • What goes up must come down
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 08:50:11 am
My feedback

Firstly, a large part of the passenger experience is due to the airline rather than simply the aircraft itself.

Flying a Wizz Air A320 is not the same as traveling on an A320 of FlyNiki (now defunct). The latter was always a surprisingly nice ride.

I enjoyed a lot the A350 which I flew once from ORY to FDF - so smooth it felt like a dream. The A380 of course is a mighty fine experience.

I used to find the initial A330's somewhat uncomfortable and boring, but the latest versions of this aircraft type are slowly bringing me to change my appreciation of them.

In the smaller aircraft Embraer E-jets are real nice. In twin-props, special mention to the ATR-72.

In the past, flew old Tupolevs (Aeroflot) and Ilyushin 96 aircraft (Cubana) and even a Yak 42 (Cubana) and these are just swell for the near-museum feeling of them. Comfort and modernity put aside....

And always love the B747's, looking to try out the Dreamliner next...

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 05:43:55 pm
Giving this a bit more thought, here are my rankings:

Favorites:
Boeing 787 (I like how my nose doesn't dry up)
Boeing 747-400Combi with KLM in Premium Eco - it feels like a narrowbody but then again it doesn't, the galley takes up the right half of the cabin.

Honorable Mention:
ERJ 145 series - no bad seats in these!

Least Favorite:
CRJ-100/200: Not nice for tall people, especially if you like to look out the window. They look cool though!
All propeller aircraft.... Vibrations... Brrr...

Dishonorable Mention:
Any and all low cost carriers taking the exit limit as a minimum capacity limit...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk