Airline Mogul Forum

Airline Route Map

etkuo · 16 · 4571

etkuo

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: August 09, 2007, 04:28:44 pm
I don't know whether this is only my problem or not. But for some reason the airline route map cannot be shown suddenly.

sla31

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 04:40:02 pm
I can't see mine anymore either.  I think it's beacues at least for mine that it is to big. :lol:
Bryce Rea

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:46:17 pm
Are you using Internet Explorer?

etkuo

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 05:55:28 pm
negative. i am using firefox, and it could be shown for the last couple of months.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:02:15 pm
In that case, it's probably because of an airport code that is wrong. AM uses the Great Circle Mapper, a mapping utility used in more airline-related games IIRC, to show the maps. These maps are based on airport codes, and if one in-game airport code does not match the one in the Great Circle Mapper-database, it can't create a map. So if you want to fix it, find the wrong airport code :) (I don't know if this is the case, but I think it is. My map is working allright.)

etkuo

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 06:28:42 pm
Makes sense to me. I will check when I have time. I checked my airline route map regularly so it must be some new routes I had created this few days. I will check them sometime later.

mbkiller

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 06:32:42 pm
Hi,

actually I think MrOrange you are wrong. I checked my route map (which I don't see anymore as well!) right now and got this interessting message from Great Circle.

Request-URI Too Large
The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

request failed: URI too long

Apache/1.3.29 Server at gc.kls2.com Port 80

Just follow this LINK: MY Route

:(

I think I have more flights than the system is able to handle.

Regards,

BTW, my ID is: 776

EDIT/UPDATE: I checked it now with IE and it doesn't work there neither.
b]MaxJet[/b] - We fly you everywhere you want to...
(ID:776)

Proud to be a

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 07:49:56 pm
IE is even worse than Firefox, as it tends to cut the URL even more when it thinks it's too long. Firefox can handle long URL's, but clearly, in this case, the GCM can't handle it anymore.
I've never seen this error before, actually I didn't even know it existed. Mbkiller, you have something like 1180 routes, is that right? Clearly, the GCM server doesn't support that and it'll give you an overflow message.

mbkiller

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 08:28:12 pm
I have no clue how many flights I have right now. But I don't think it should be more than 500!

Proud to be a

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 08:43:08 pm
Clearly the GCM thinks so. Looking at the link you provided, I calculated you have about 1181 routes. Problem with that is, you probably have some double routes, where you've placed multiple aircraft on the same route. The game will see this as a separate route, and add it to the create_map list that's sent to the GCM. In total, it comes down to 1181 routes, which is too many for the system to handle.

mbkiller

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 09:38:59 pm
True, I have plenty of routes with several planes (cashcows!). Okay, more than 1180 routes is really too much. No suprise that the system can't handle that. ;)

Proud to be a

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 10:00:14 pm
No, it isn't really, is it :) BTW, you most definitely show as having 1181 routes, so most certainly that's the problem. Same with Skylite's 1048 routes. I guess the server will stop at 1000.

Pod1967

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 11:17:58 pm
I have the same problem and after reading this I thought this was the problem. However, my friend is able to see my route map and I'm able to view other airline's route maps (even airlines with alot of routes).
img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/michaelchow810/am/cfc.jpg[/img]

hpscot08

• Administrator
  • Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 11:32:12 pm
Just a small update on this:
Eventually Stephen is going to look into replacing the current Great Circle Mapper system with a different one that will be capable of handling the long urls from a high number of routes.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 11:51:25 pm
Yeah, to extend hpscot's statement(s).

Eventually route maps will break, under the present system... URL's can only be so long (rules of the interweb), so eventually you'll get just get too many, or you may run into an airport (such as the antarctic ones) that just doesn't exist in the gc database (or at least, as far as the code we've assigned it is concerned).

We're hoping at some point to integrate our own route map, but... no plans to in the short term unless something wonderful falls in our lap.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk